Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is milk bad for cats

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

ok just been told tonight that milk is bad for cats by my friend, i have been giving my two mik for the last 6 months and my OH even gives them cream the odd time. is it really true it causes there stomach to twist or is this bullsh1t??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Nope it's quite true, you shouldn't really give cats cows milk. There is special milk for cats you can buy, that's formulated for them.
    Cows milk can give them the runs etc. I don't know the exacts but I know it's true (as I'm sure other cat owners who know more will post and tell you)

random site http://www.buzzle.com/articles/should-cats-drink-milk.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I believe cats beocme lactose intolerent when they enter adulthood. So ye, it's not the best for them as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

what am i meant to give them just water?? i feel terrible now my poor kitty cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Penny Farthing

blondie7 wrote: »
    ok just been told tonight that milk is bad for cats by my friend, i have been giving my two mik for the last 6 months and my OH even gives them cream the odd time. is it really true it causes there stomach to twist or is this bullsh1t??

Milk is not bad for cats.

Gut-twisting happens to all animals. It is nothing to do with drinking milk. They drink myself by choice all the time, as anyone who has lived on a farm knows. (You daren't leave a container with milk down for a second and they are in drinking it.)

I had a cat who lived to 9 and drank milk every day. You couldn't keep her away from the stuff. She also liked tea for some reason, which was unusual with cats. But milk? That is their drink of choice.

Gut-twisting happens to all animals. It is nothing to do with drinking milk. They drink myself by choice all the time, as anyone who has lived on a farm knows. (You daren't leave a container with milk down for a second and they are in drinking it.)

Just because they like it doesn't mean it's good for them.
    Most (not all) cats become lactose intolerant as they go from kitten to cat, thus cows milk can cause digestive problems. It's also not needed in their diet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I haven't had a cat in many years but when we had our wee nipper (for 14 years) we gave him Whiskas milk. As pointed out by the poster above cats milk is indeed not the best for your little bundle of fun.

catmilk_pic.gif

what am i meant to give them just water?? i feel terrible now my poor kitty cats

Yes water is enough for them. What do you think they drink in the wild?
    You can also buy specially formulated milk for cats as I said.

star-pants wrote: »
    Yes water is enough for them. What do you think they drink in the wild?
    You can also buy specially formulated milk for cats as I said.

ok ill try them on water for the night but have a feeling ill get in trouble in the morning:mad: also another quick one how often should you bath the cats?? my OH just informed me he feeds them pringles they love them:eek:

If they like something and you give it to them, they won't like it if you don't give it to them. It's the same with dogs and children. Of course your childs going to want the chocolate and not the apple (well not all kids but you get my drift).
    Same with cats/dogs, they'll eat/drink whatever they get used to.

My dogs love icecream, but again *most* dogs are lactose intolerant and I'd rather not make them ill. Your cats could be ok - some cats/dogs don't react to dairy like that, but some do, or some will after a while. Also it adds unneccessary fats to their diet. With dogs anyway it can put weight on them.

You can get the formulated milk for your cats if you like. Crisps, well in fairness I think we all give our pets a little bit of something they shouldn't have. So unless it's something that happens on a regular basis or large quantities or something they're allergic to, it'll be ok for the odd crisp.

regarding bathing cats, I honestly haven't a clue. Do people bathe their cats often? They clean themselves, and it's a different case to dogs. How old are your cats?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I had a cat who lived to 9 and drank milk every day. You couldn't keep her away from the stuff. She also liked tea for some reason, which was unusual with cats. But milk? That is their drink of choice.

I doubt the cat knows the milk is what makes it sick. If you ever notice a cat with diarrhea, I suggest you stop giving it milk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

My 1 year old kitty couldnt handle milk of any description ( ie cows or whiskas) for a long time i have been trying her recently on cap fulls of the cow juice and she laps it up without the...........messy consequences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ok ill try them on water for the night but have a feeling ill get in trouble in the morning:mad: also another quick one how often should you bath the cats?? my OH just informed me he feeds them pringles they love them:eek:

We tried washing our cat twice when we were relatively new to each other and before we learned it's a really bad idea. As star-pants pointed out they generally groom themselves really well so there's no need too. Crisps were also a big favourite with our chap.

star-pants wrote: »
    If they like something and you give it to them, they won't like it if you don't give it to them. It's the same with dogs and children. Of course your childs going to want the chocolate and not the apple (well not all kids but you get my drift).
    Same with cats/dogs, they'll eat/drink whatever they get used to.

My dogs love icecream, but again *most* dogs are lactose intolerant and I'd rather not make them ill. Your cats could be ok - some cats/dogs don't react to dairy like that, but some do, or some will after a while. Also it adds unneccessary fats to their diet. With dogs anyway it can put weight on them.

You can get the formulated milk for your cats if you like. Crisps, well in fairness I think we all give our pets a little bit of something they shouldn't have. So unless it's something that happens on a regular basis or large quantities or something they're allergic to, it'll be ok for the odd crisp.

regarding bathing cats, I honestly haven't a clue. Do people bathe their cats often? They clean themselves, and it's a different case to dogs. How old are your cats?

ill go shops tommorrow and grab some fomula milk for them so thanks.

im not sure how old they are tbh when i moved into the apt there were two cats always around (they were a little bigger than kittens im guessing about 3 months old ) and i started leaving saucers of milk out for them and then i let them inside a few times now there here all the time and its there home. one of the neighbours apparently owned them but they strayed into us:)

we gave them a bath already VERY scary experience they dont like them at all the screams of them but they had fleas so had to be done and now there coats are all shiny and soft:D

i dont know much about cats we only had a dog growing up and she lived to be 15, she died last year:mad: but we use to feed her everything we ate including milk, ice cream and chocolate never did her any harm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I usually bath my cat about once a year, usually in the summer. (twice maybe if it's been very warm.) Just sit him/her in a basin or babybath with about an inch of warm water. Use cat shampoo, not pantene or anything! Mix some shampoo with the water in a toothmug or something like this and pour it gently over the cat, rubbing the fur. When he's suddy, just rinse with clear water. Don't let the water levels rise because it panics them and try and avoid the bottom area, they're not fans of people nosing about there! After wrap them in a towel and dry them gently with a warm hairdryer. keep the cat in a heated room and don't let them out for at least the rest of the day because they'll catch cold very easily after a bath when they're still a bit damp.
    It's usually a two person job- one to firmly hold the cat down and the other to wash the cat.

Some cats are fine with it, mine will tolerate a bath but doesn't like it. I have to have the doors and window closed in case he makes a break for it! But if your cat goes crazy with terror just call it a lost cause, baths are nice but not a necessity! If started young they'll generally get used to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

It's not great for them TBH try the whiskas cat milk or slimline milk instead of whole milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My cat eats anything I give it - chicken bones, curry sauce.. everything but Tesco's cat food.

TBH, it's not strictly my cat & I wish it would f*ck the hell off & adopt a new owner, but that's just wishful thinking.

Maybe I should dose the f*cker with a bowl of milk.

My cat eats anything I give it - chicken bones, curry sauce.. everything but Tesco's cat food.

TBH, it's not strictly my cat & I wish it would f*ck the hell off & adopt a new owner, but that's just wishful thinking.

Maybe I should dose the f*cker with a bowl of milk.

Lovely thing to say in a pet forum:rolleyes:

Does someone else own it in your house? If it's a stray stop feeding it then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

You can buy Avonmore Lactose free milk for €1.99/L. This is a lot cheaper than buying Whiskers cat milk.

Tbh if your cats have had no symptoms of lactose intolerance to date, they more than likely continue to digest lactose. Even if they are lactose intolerant, they may consume small amounts of dairy products daily without any affect.
    ziggy23 wrote: »
    TBH try the whiskas cat milk or slimline milk instead of whole milk

Choosing slimline milk over any other milk product is baseless, slimline has the same properties as whole milk.

Starbelgrade- watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1 month ban issued. No more infractions or warnings will be issued!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cats and crap food - some cats will eat anything they're offered. Just because they'll eat it or drink it voluntarily doesn't mean it's good for them.

As stated above, cows milk can cause bloating, discomfort, loose stools and dehydration through diarrhea in a cat or kitten. Plus, they don't need it. Just give them water.

Additionally, chicken and rice may be fine to settle your stomach, or your dog's stomach, but it's unsuitable for a cat. If your cat appears to be suffering with its stomach or its stools, try feeding it nothing for 24 hours (but giving it full access to water), then introduce something cat-suitable, bit by bit - raw meat, for instance. (Muscle meat, not organ meat).

Do some research into how kibble is made, the physiology of the cat, and what zoos feed their small-sized wild cats - the kind that are being bred into domestic cat lines to produce designer breeds like bengals, ocicats and so on.

Pringles and milk don't feature.

As for a cat that lived 9 years - the domestic cat can last 18 years and more on the right diet and with restricted roaming access (so nothing kills it).

Gazza22 wrote: »
    You can buy Avonmore Lactose free milk for €1.99/L. This is a lot cheaper than buying Whiskers cat milk.

Tbh if your cats have had no symptoms of lactose intolerance to date, they more than likely continue to digest lactose. Even if they are lactose intolerant, they may consume small amounts of dairy products daily without any affect.

Choosing slimline milk over any other milk product is baseless, slimline has the same properties as whole milk.

Really? thats wat the vet told me to give my cat. Mine don't drink milk really anymore though one of them does try and stick her head in my cup of tea:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi OP,

Do avoid the cow's milk, it's not the best for their digestive system. The old woman I got my first cat from used to give her bowls of milk, and the runs she had were horrendous! She still loves milk, and will try to shove her face in your cereal bowl if you're not mindful enough. Once in a while we treat her with some of the whiskas cat milk diluted with a bit of water. Never thought of the new lactose free human milk, that's a good idea too.

In regards to bathing, I bathe my cats every month or two. I started out when they were kittens. They hate it, but they're used to it and they'll stay relatively still. Baths in a kitchen sink would probably be the least stressful way, and best if you're using a flea shampoo which you have to leave on for around 5 mins. Otherwise for quick washes I'll put them in the shower. Just make sure you use a shampoo that's safe for cats as well as dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Really? thats wat the vet told me to give my cat. Mine don't drink milk really anymore though one of them does try and stick her head in my cup of tea:p

Yeah well skimmed milk has only been reduced in fat content, lactose which is a sugar, is contained within the whey of the milk and thus every milk product from whole to skimmed. Maybe the vet's logic was skimmed milk would be the less of two evils as at least you wouldn't make your cat too fat :D

Gazza22 wrote: »
    Yeah well skimmed milk has only been reduced in fat content, lactose which is a sugar, is contained within the whey of the milk and thus every milk product from whole to skimmed. Maybe the vet's logic was skimmed milk would be the less of two evils as at least you wouldn't make your cat too fat :D

They gas thing is they wouldn't touch it they knew right well it wasn't 'real' milk:D I'd say cream would do awful things to a cat's insides then:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cat bathing - if you suffer from cat allergies, or live with someone who does, weekly bathing can reduce the presence of cat dander in your house and therefore reduce the severity of the allergic reaction. However you don't need to shampoo the cat. You can just rinse them thoroughly - which means you can also use a clean, wet facecloth and do the same thing - thoroughly rub their fur to get rid of saliva and dander.

Otherwise, unless you have a show cat, or a longer haired cat who has problems keeping their back end clean, you really don't need to wash them. I only wash mine when there's something to wash - e.g. poo on a foot (litter tray hazard), or in one case, a greasy head and neck due to having to have ear drops every day for an infection.

Sponge baths are also good for cats - they tend to hate being immersed in water, and hate running water, so a sponge dipped in a bucket of warm water can be a solution that stops you being shredded by your terrifed cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Most of my father's current contingent of cats prefer water, but some drink milk and enjoy it. In 70 years of keeping cats he's never found one that milk had an adverse on. In fact one - who lived to be 21 - refused to drink anything except slightly sour milk.

If your cats are kittens then you can get special kitten milk for them from the supermarkets, but once they reach a year offer them a choice of either milk or water. You'll soon know which each one prefers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Don't blame it. Tesco's dog food gave my dogs the runs when I gave it to them. Since then my philosophy has been - for any pet owner - the dearer the food the better for the animal it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

9 years isn't that old for a cat, my dads cat died last week, she was 17.
    We had a lot of cats growing up most lived between 15 and 21 years. We did have a couple that died a bit younger but it was due to getting hit my a car and another injury.
    And yes milk is bad for cats, most (not all according to our vet) become lactose intolerant as the become adults and it can contribute to liver and kidney problems.

Just because its bad for them doesn't mean they won't drink it, I know a couple of people who still give chocolate to their dogs because the dogs love it, even though its toxic to them. Animals don't know any better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My cats have access to water all day every day, but Puddy, my oldest cat 18, has a small amount of milk every morning and has done all her life ( the other two have no interest). When I say small I really mean tiny, like barely covering the bottom of a bowl. Without this NO ONE in the house would get a lick of work done and she will not stop badgering people until she gets it. It has never caused her any ill effect and will continue until she pops her clogs, hopefully some time in her twenties.
    But I'll say it again OP, it really is a very small amount and I know that when she stayed with a friend of mine for a few weeks while I was away, my friend -being unable to resist a certain amount of cute bullying- gave her milk on demand, cue runs.
    So I believe, like everthing in life, a little in moderation= not end of world.

Advertisement