Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Remedies to Stop Dreams

Options
  • 09-09-2009 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

so, as the title suggests, how would one stop dreaming: are there any official or unofficial methods?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 KrazyKirby

Why would u want to stop dreaming?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

KrazyKirby wrote: »
    Why would u want to stop dreaming?:confused:

because i would prefer not to do so. better night sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I wouldn't even dream (NPI) about doing this as it might lead to serious mental health issues down the road.

You might as well try and stop yourself taking a dump in the morning - dreaming plays a central part in the function of the brain and is there for a reason.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I LOVE dreaming, I find the more vivid my dreams are, the more rested I feel in the morning, it's one of the most wonderous parts of life, it's like a little treat from your subconcious.. I actually eat cheese before I go to bed some nights hoping for some midnight madness :D why anyone would want to stop dreaming is beyond me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

I would be curious about this. I am taking medication which is causing some very unpleasant dreams, which I would prefer to stop. It is unfortunately a known side effect and right now the pros are outweighing the cons, but I wake up very disturbed some mornings when I recall my dreams, or even just an unpleasant emotional state even if I don't fully remember them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Seraphina wrote: »
    I would be curious about this. I am taking medication which is causing some very unpleasant dreams, which I would prefer to stop. It is unfortunately a known side effect and right now the pros are outweighing the cons, but I wake up very disturbed some mornings when I recall my dreams, or even just an unpleasant emotional state even if I don't fully remember them.

I don't know if you believe in dreamcatchers or not,
    and I can't vouch for them as have never used one.
    Here's what I've heard about them:

1. They let good dreams filter through to you, and trap bad dreams in their net.

2. Occasionally they can get "clogged" and you may have a rare bad dream.
    When this happens, you take it outside and shake it clear.

3. They are supposed to work better if you make it yourself.

4.They seem to work well with children especially.

NOTE: Some people would not recommend a dreamcatcher,because for some people it may stop all their dreams(even the good ones).

As I said,don't know if any of the above is true,as never used one.
    Some people love them.
    I think if you really believe that it will work,then it probably will.

And hey,even if it doesn't work
    they look pretty in a bedroom anyways! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

I feel it would be a terrible thing to choose to stop your dreams, they are essential in understanding yourself and what is going on inside you.
    As for the poster who said they are having some bad dreams due to medication - I think that is your body calling to you to try and heal yourself and come to terms/resolve the original issue within yourself. To stop dreaming by choice would be to neglect your mental health. If you want to talk over Msn, send me a pm and I would love to try and help you understand your dreams from an outside perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

wonder would dream catchers really work?? i've been having a recurring bad dream for over a year and havent been able to stop it. i know a friend of mine had loads of them in her room but i never even thought of using one as a solution! as anyone ever used one?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

GismoBaby wrote: »
    wonder would dream catchers really work?? i've been having a recurring bad dream for over a year and havent been able to stop it. i know a friend of mine had loads of them in her room but i never even thought of using one as a solution! as anyone ever used one?
    no, i was told if you remember your dream,sit back go through what your dreams mean to you,think about them ,then get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

you cant stop dreaming, its gonna happen no matter what you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

If its depression medication than i'd suggest talking to your gp and psy about getting it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

With out recommending it

I know smoking weed before bed stops you dreaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shootenanny

Stopping your dreams would not be a good idea...I recall reading a study in which the subjects were deprived of REM (dreaming) sleep and they started to become psychologically/emotionally unstable and have hallucinations - and I think that some of the affects lasted long after the experiment ended - the affects were similiar to what happens when sleep deprived - I can't find the citation for the study at the moment but will have a look around and post if I can find it.

If you are asking this because you are having nightmares - I feel your pain - I had to take anti malarial drugs a few years ago due to travel and I had the most vivid and disturbing dreams while taking them - never again!

I don't really have an answer as to how you would stop your dreams but sure there would be no harm in trying a dreamcatcher - and I know there are techniques to help you remember dreams maybe there are some techniques that help you forget?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Hypnocil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

As above, you need dreams (well, REM sleep) to complete the sleeping cycle and feel refreshed. However, if there have been bad dreams that have irritated you them there are a few things to try. The main one that works for me is to relax before going to sleep (I'd recommend some technology to do just that but it's a bit expensive). When I say relax I mean physical and mental relaxation. Going to sleep with worries on your mind isn't healthy. If you physically relax before sleep (a 20 minute walk helps, as does a bath or relaxation CD) then bad dreams tend to disappear. The effect aren't instant and take a week or so to become effective, but again it works for me.

Advertisement