Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic at the firestation/schools Suggestion's Please!!

Options
  • 09-09-2009 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I know they are probably being told to do it but come on.

School's Back,
    Scoil Mhuire and Bishop Foley's have decided to change the school hours, they are no longer staggered from each other and all the kids get dropped off at the same time in the morning and collected at the same time.

All the schools now have the barriers erected on the entrances.

Mix this with the rush of traffic of town workers trying to get to work for 9.00 and what have you got??

Chaos

What do the Town Council put in place to help combat this??

Someone to direct traffic?
    NO

Allow "some" of the Fire station yard to be used to alleviate the congestion?
    NO

2 F**King Traffic Wardens who stare you out as you drive past looking for somewhere to park so you can (as a respectable parent) walk your child into school rather than just abandon them on the road to go it alone.

I arrived outside the school at 08.45 and they where already there waiting before that time. Usually these guys don't start work until 09.00 as this is the meter time's so It would seem obvious IMO that they had some sort of instructions from higher head of Council, I doubt they are personally cruel enough to come up with this kind of fish in a barrel tactics on their own

This is a disgrace

I usually don't get involved in this sort of thing but I'm fairly P**sed off with the hassle involved in all of this and the fact that they sent the 2 guys who seem to think they are some sort of Hollywood cops out just starts to boil the blood.

Has anyone got any sensible suggestions that I can put forward to one of the council to aid freeing up this as its a nightmare and is only going to be worse this year over last due to the new opening times.

_

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I suspose I should start off with the first suggestion.

My first most sensible thought would be that they could maybe get in contact with the owner of the old Texaco Garage Site.

This has been up for sale since the big underground fuel spill years ago and has done nothing but lay idle.

Surely they could come up with some form of agreement with them.
    Maybe it could be rented by the Council at some sort reduced price on the terms that if it sell's then the contract would be released and they would come up with some new plan.

But at least for the moment it would help.
    (with the current times it would probably be years before it sells anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

my carlow office is along the old Dublin road, and i only started the job when the schools were closing or the summer, now they're back it's madness, thankfully I have parking in my place, but still to get there is a nightmare, although still beats the Dublin commute daily handsdown

the traffic wardens have been along the old Dublin road issuing warnings, but said from next week they'll be fines, even the shop across from Leos (cant think of the name) was saying they live and work there, and they cant even get a permit to park outside their residence.

it's crazy

as for the scholl suggestions I'm not sure, last week at 8.50 one morning the school gates had not been opened and the traffic was just at a standstil until they did in every direction to the school's. I think there should be somewhere provided for parents to drop kids, it's the cars with only one kid in them that annoy me, and then so many park anywhere and everywhere, even double parking , that irks me when I'm trying to get to work and people are double parked holding up the whole road :(

but definitely traffic management needs to be sorted there big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

A shuttle bus service should be provided for children who need to be driven to school. The pick up area in the morning should be in the Dome or Dunnes car park and the drop off point in the evening should be the car park out at Toughers restaurant on the Dublin Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

super-rush wrote: »
    A shuttle bus service should be provided for children who need to be driven to school. The pick up area in the morning should be in the Dome or Dunnes car park and the drop off point in the evening should be the car park out at Toughers restaurant on the Dublin Rd.

That's a great idea tbh..should be done.
    think it will though? :rolleyes:

OK

I was onto one of he councillers today who told me that this issue was talked about only last week at their meeting. He is going to bring it up and put forward the two suggestions (which he liked) he also said anymore good suggestions from the public are always welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

super-rush wrote: »

You don't think that maybe Dunnes or Toughers or the Dome would (rightfully) have a problem with hordes of individuals using their private property for activities that have no relationship to their businesess?

seedubya wrote: »
    You don't think that maybe Dunnes or Toughers or the Dome would (rightfully) have a problem with hordes of individuals using their private property for activities that have no relationship to their businesess?

He (The Counciller) said they had mentioned a similar idea to this and they were thinking along the lines of Woodies been a central drop off / collection point.

Thats a whole lot of car park which is never full..

I think it's a great idea as it also gets extra people moving around the business park, surely they can't complain about that??
    More footfall surely means better chance of more sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

traffic wardens are only doing there job and keeping the kids safe also, every school in the country has the same problem so get over yourself and keep to the rules and you wont get a ticket, abit of a walk didnt hurt anyone

traffic wardens are only doing there job and keeping the kids safe also, every school in the country has the same problem so get over yourself and keep to the rules and you wont get a ticket, abit of a walk didnt hurt anyone

So so so much ignorance right there.
    Do you live in Carlow or even understand the problem?
    or are you just trying to be a troll?

Maybe my thread title and opening post was hard but I was mainly trying to get it some attention.. Maybe one of the lads/Mods could change this to Traffic at the Fire station, suggestions wanted or something

Firstly.. Its the traffic built up which is annoying me personally.
    Second, The parking wardens attitude to other people.
    Third, This has been the situation for years and is just getting worse, I just think its time to do something about it that helps the situation not aggravates it "like the traffic wardens"

Traffic wardens have a job to do yes, do they have the right to snarl at people and touch off border line abusive? No..

I personally have not come into contact with these wardens myself as I have not tried to park up where they are patrolling BUT I have seen them in action and the ignorance they showed to the people who did.

A sorry mam you can't park here because .....
    Not Go elsewhere with a snarly face on him.

I like things to get fixed more so than left off and put up with, As per my Sig below. But alas I am but 1 mere mortal..;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

title changed as per request

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

tombull82 wrote: »
    Maybe my thread title and opening post was hard but I was mainly trying to get it some attention.. Maybe one of the lads/Mods could change this to Traffic at the Fire station, suggestions wanted or something

Firstly.. Its the traffic built up which is annoying me personally.
    Second, The parking wardens attitude to other people.
    Third, This has been the situation for years and is just getting worse, I just think its time to do something about it that helps the situation not aggravates it "like the traffic wardens"

Traffic wardens have a job to do yes, do they have the right to snarl at people and touch off border line abusive? No..

I personally have not come into contact with these wardens myself as I have not tried to park up where they are patrolling BUT I have seen them in action and the ignorance they showed to the people who did.

I like things to get fixed more so than left off and put up with, As per my Sig below. But alas I am but 1 mere mortal..;-)

well there is no excuse for being ignorant, they could have manners when doing there job, maybe it should be down to the school to sort something out, what about the old acc bank, its only a 5min walk if even that but if its raining then it could be a issue

well there is no excuse for being ignorant, they could have manners when doing there job, maybe it should be down to the school to sort something out, what about the old acc bank, its only a 5min walk if even that but if its raining then it could be a issue

It's not even that but the car park holds about 6 cars.

Also they "unkown who" have errected a barrier in the last 2 weeks.
    As it was unused this is where I Used to park when dropping off my child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

maybe it should be down to the school to sort something out

its hardly up to the school to solve a traffic problem really. when in doubt put the burden on the schools???

the main problem lies with where these schools were built...ie not an ounce of forward planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Park In Tescos or any of the housing estates near the school and walk from there

Fairly simple really

Ye fuck the childrens safety lets park anywhere and everywhere and just stick on our hazard lights

Ye fuck the childrens safety lets park anywhere and everywhere and just stick on our hazard lights

Obviously this is going over your head..

Its about the manner of how they dealt with the people in question I was referring too..

Obviously this is going over your head..

Its about the manner of how they dealt with the people in question I was referring too..

Nothing is going over my head, i just understand that these lollipop ladies/men are probably paid sweet f all and are sick of having to deal with people who want to break the rules just because they're under a little pressure(like most people are at 8:50am)

I just see no point in spending time/money on something that can be so easily avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Put in a one-way system (maybe from 8am - 5pm, and only during weekdays from Sept - June) along the whole of St Joseph's Road and Station Road. At least that way if parents need to stop and there's nowhere to pull in, cars can drive around (just about) without fear of oncoming traffic. It would probably put extra pressure on Green Lane, but I can't see how it wouldn't be able to handle it.

Has the feasibility of this ever been looked into I wonder? If it has, it'd be interesting to hear what was said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

seedubya wrote: »

Honestly i couldn't see them having a problem with it at all. It could generate more business for Dunnes with parents dropping in to pick up a few things and Toughers car park is open to the public at all times.

I just see no point in spending time/money on something that can be so easily avoided

Not to start a fight but, can you look at it from a parents POV for a second...

Its mid January and a bitter cold rain is pelting down accompanied by gust of wind.
    I've gone to work at 5.30 in the morning so...

My wife has to had to get up and get our 7yr old our 2 yr old and soon to be newborn baby fed and water and ready for the school drop.

Am I right in saying you think that its easy for her to Park in Tesco's carpark, unload the buggies and struggle against the freezing wet weather all the way from Tesco's Carpark to avoid a bit of traffic congestion that maybe could have been helped by the council spending "OUR" money on some sort of work around.

I have talked to the council on this matter and they have told me that they are desperately trying to come up with a solution to this problem, Obviously THEY think it is worth spending money on.

legendal wrote: »
    Put in a one-way system (maybe from 8am - 5pm, and only during weekdays from Sept - June) along the whole of St Joseph's Road and Station Road. At least that way if parents need to stop and there's nowhere to pull in, cars can drive around (just about) without fear of oncoming traffic. It would probably put extra pressure on Green Lane, but I can't see how it wouldn't be able to handle it.

Has the feasibility of this ever been looked into I wonder? If it has, it'd be interesting to hear what was said.

This is currently one of the options they have out on the table for discussion already...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Nothing is going over my head, i just understand that these lollipop ladies/men

Something clearly is cause this thread was started about traffic wardens, not lollipop people.

Not to start a fight but, can you look at it from a parents POV for a second...

Its mid January and a bitter cold rain is pelting down accompanied by gust of wind.
    I've gone to work at 5.30 in the morning so...

My wife has to had to get up and get our 7yr old our 2 yr old and soon to be newborn baby fed and water and ready for the school drop.

Am I right in saying you think that its easy for her to Park in Tesco's carpark, unload the buggies and struggle against the freezing wet weather all the way from Tesco's Carpark to avoid a bit of traffic congestion that maybe could have been helped by the council spending "OUR" money on some sort of work around.

I have talked to the council on this matter and they have told me that they are desperately trying to come up with a solution to this problem, Obviously THEY think it is worth spending money on.

I understand where you're coming from but i just don't think its worth the hassle, leave a bit earlier in the morning. I'm not trying to be a prick that's just the way i see it

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Something clearly is cause this thread was started about traffic wardens, not lollipop people.

pretty much the same thing :pac::o

I understand where you're coming from but i just don't think its worth the hassle, leave a bit earlier in the morning. I'm not trying to be a prick that's just the way i see it

I totally understand that this is the way you see it being a ~25yr old fella without kids etc. I probably would have too had I not had kids..

I just have a feeling you may fell different when you have your own kids to drop off, BUT hopefully it won't be any extra hassle for you then because with a bit of luck someone (maybe even this very thread) might just have sorted it out by then, hense removing the hassle you don't agree too..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

maybe if the council could promote a car pooling initiative with the help of the schools.

a parents meeting could be organised some night/evening to address the issues, and actually be pro-active in setting something up among parents from the same areas/estates. im sure parents would appreciate have a break from the school run every couple of days/weeks.

it could also tie in with the sphe/environmental studies on the curriculum, as a representative could also maybe talk to the classes about the benefits of car pooling and helping the environment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

pretty much the same thing :pac::o

if you mean that, it just proves your ignorance.
    A traffic warden gives out parking tickets on illegally parked cars.
    A lollipop person helps kids and parents to cross the road safely.

HOW is that "pretty much the same thing"?
    Please do tell......

• Advertisement

Update on the old Texaco carpark,

It is believed that this area of ground may still deemed as fuel contaminated so they can not go ahead and use this area yet but they are going to request a full report into the current status of this ground.

The other 2 options are still on the table..

Advertisement