Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi disconnects randomly

Options
  • 09-09-2009 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

My wifi connections keeps logging me out my network, then i have to reconnect manually..can anyone give me a reason why wifi might do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

do you use windows?

happened to me for a while. on XP here and did a winsock fix and it worked.

for XP you need to download a small app, but on Vista its a simple cmd command.

For Vista: Click on Start button.
    Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    Type "netsh winsock reset" (without the quotations) in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    Restart the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    do you use windows?

happened to me for a while. on XP here and did a winsock fix and it worked.

for XP you need to download a small app, but on Vista its a simple cmd command.

For Vista: Click on Start button.
    Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    Type "netsh winsock reset" (without the quotations) in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    Restart the computer.

I have both a vista laptop and a xp laptop-what exaclty will this command do? will it install malware/open my pc to infections?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    I have both a vista laptop and a xp laptop-what exaclty will this command do? will it install malware/open my pc to infections?
    absolutely not.

it clears out all the junk in the TCP/IP settings, and just resets them to factory default. at most, you might have to re-enter your WEP/WPA key to access your BB, but i didnt have to when i did it.

EDIT: here's a link to PC world's website also offering the XP app.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Another issue is you might be on the same wireless channel as a neighbour - no harm in changing the channel your Wireless broadcasts on. Can be done easy enough from the wireless settings on your router/modem

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    absolutely not.

it clears out all the junk in the TCP/IP settings, and just resets them to factory default. at most, you might have to re-enter your WEP/WPA key to access your BB, but i didnt have to when i did it.

EDIT: here's a link to PC world's website also offering the XP app.

Sounds promising, but what does TCP/IP settings actually do?

• Advertisement

This may be just irrational but yesterday i installed avg linkscanner..fine for a while but then when i went into the active connections section in comodo firewall it showed that avg linkscanner was opening at least 100-200 UDP connections..does this mean that avg linkscanner was eating my internet connection? ive since uninstalled avg linkscanner.

On a slightly separate note does anyone know where i can get a copy of mcaffee adviser that actually works with vista?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭crxsi

Hi Guys,

I have an acer 5920g laptop with vista and perlico wirelssrouter. Im a novice with pc's by the way. Just got broadband yesterday.
    I have 3mb speed. On the signal strenght its at full bars and says sometimes 54mbps speed, but mostly 1mb. this 1mbps sound slow to me?? Should it be even more than 54mbps?? Whats a good speed?
    I have pc hooked up via ethernet and network adapter and that doesnt disconnect at all.
    I sit 7-8 feet away from router in sitting room and it disconnect randomly.
    if i do a winsok reset do you think this will help?
    Will i need password etc to enter or need to contact perlico to reconnect router after reset?
    please reply asap as i wnt do reset until i get reply.

thanks a lot everyone..

wireless modem
    Wireless Zyxel P-660HW Modem for only €99.99 inc. VAT

Get access to the Internet from every room in your house (and even from the Garden!) or from multiple computers in the same house with a Wireless Modem. Simply connect the modem by following our simple CD step by step guide and get access to the Internet wherever you are in the house

This modem can be used as either wired or wireless (or a combination of both!)

Key Features:

•Transfer rates of up to 125Mbps
    •Power-save mode
    •Installation CD(NO INSTALLATION CD REQUIRED)
    •200m range, depending on design and architecture
    The Technical Details:

Wireless Standard
    •IEEE 802.11g
    ADSL Compliance
    •ANSI T1.413 Issue 2
    •ITU G.992.1 G.dmt
    •ITU G.992.2 G.lite
    •ITU G.994.1 G.hs
    •ITU ADSL2 G.992.3, G.992.4
    •ITU ADSL2+ G.992.5
    •Reach-Extended ADSL (RE ADSL)
    ATM Support
    •8 PVCs Support
    •ATM Forum UNI 3.1/ 4.0
    •RFC 1483/2684 Multiple Protocol over AAL5
    •RFC 2364 PPP over AAL5
    •RFC 2516 PPP over Ethernet
    •VC and LLC Multiplexing
    •ATM QoS UBR,CBR,VBR
    •I.610 OAM F4/F5 Loop-back, AIS, and RDI OAM Cells
    Firewall Security
    •Stateful Packet Inspection
    •Prevent DoS, DDoS Attack
    •Policy-based Access Control
    •Content Filtering
    •IP & Generic Packet Filtering
    •Real-time Attack Alert and Logs
    Routing Support
    •IEEE 802.1d Transparent Bridging
    •IP Routing: TCP, UDP, ICMP, ARP
    •RIPv1 and RIPv2
    •IP Multicast IGMP v1/v2
    •IP Policy Route
    IP Management
    •SUA/Multi-NAT Internet Sharing
    •Multimedia Support
    •VPN (IPSec, PPTP) Pass-through
    •DHCP Server/Relay/Client
    •DNS Proxy
    •Dynamic DNS
    •UPnP Support
    Network Management
    •Web-based Configuration
    •Telnet Remote Management
    •FTP/TFTP for Firmware Upgrade and Romfile Backup and Restore
    •SNMP Support
    •Built-in Diagnostic Tool
    WLAN Features
    •802.11g Compliance Speed Up to 54Mbps
    •Comply with 802.11b
    •64/128/256 Bits WEP Encryption
    •Dynamic WEP Key
    •802.1x Port-based Authentication
    •WPA(Wi-Fi Protected Access),WPA2
    •WPA-PSK,TKIP
    •External RADIUS Server Support
    •MAC Address Filtering
    Advanced Features
    •Zero Configuration
    •Traffic Redirect
    •Multimedia Service Routing Technology (MSRT)
    •Media Bandwidth Management (MBM)
    •Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) (P-660HW-6x/ Dx)
    •Multimedia Auto Provisioner (MAP)
    •One Touch Intelligent Security Technology(OTIST)
    Physical Specification
    •Dimensions: 180(W)x 128(D)x 36(H)mm
    •Weight: 325 g

crxsi wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have an acer 5920g laptop with vista and perlico wirelssrouter. Im a novice with pc's by the way. Just got broadband yesterday.
    I have 3mb speed. On the signal strenght its at full bars and says sometimes 54mbps speed, but mostly 1mb. this 1mbps sound slow to me?? Should it be even more than 54mbps?? Whats a good speed?
    I have pc hooked up via ethernet and network adapter and that doesnt disconnect at all.
    I sit 7-8 feet away from router in sitting room and it disconnect randomly.
    if i do a winsok reset do you think this will help?
    Will i need password etc to enter or need to contact perlico to reconnect router after reset?
    please reply asap as i wnt do reset until i get reply.

thanks a lot everyone..

Have you set your wireless router to WPA2 PSK with AES?

Sorry m8, im a novice. how do i do that and will it make any difference??

Thanks

• Advertisement

i have it currently connected via ethernet cable to see if it loses connection. If it doesnt(which i doubt it will) i know it's something to do with the wireless signal, router, or the wireless card on my laptop. Hence, i was wondering is it worth doing the winsock reset as i want to use laptop wirelessly?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

hi!
    I use a BT router (Voyager) I am having a similar problem to crxsi, my wireless keeps dropping but if i plug in laptop to router, then it's fine. I have a feeling I may have damaged my laptops internal wireless card (as i droped the laptop:rolleyes:). If I go to PC world or wherever and buy a new external one e.g. Belkin external wireless card, c/should that work?

any advice appreciated!

Scat

scatriona wrote: »
    hi!
    I use a BT router (Voyager) I am having a similar problem to crxsi, my wireless keeps dropping but if i plug in laptop to router, then it's fine. I have a feeling I may have damaged my laptops internal wireless card (as i droped the laptop:rolleyes:). If I go to PC world or wherever and buy a new external one e.g. Belkin external wireless card, c/should that work?

any advice appreciated!

Scat

On the BT router what encryption are you using?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hi!

any advice appreciated!

Scat

Download netstumbler and see if there are any wireless networks in the immediate area. Try changing the wireless channel anyways. Are there any other wireless gizmos in the house?

You could try your laptop in another wireless situation and see if it works there - any coffee shops with wifi nearby?

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    On the BT router what encryption are you using?

Not sure, sorry! But i did call BT and a really helpful tech guy there went thru all encryption and more (on the call for 40+ mins!!), and then came to conclusion that it probably was the wireless card. We also changed the channels on the router (if that means plugging cable into different ones of the 1-4 channels??)

So, reckon if I get a new external one, think that could do the trick?
    thanks

S

Not sure, sorry! But i did call BT and a really helpful tech guy there went thru all encryption and more (on the call for 40+ mins!!), and then came to conclusion that it probably was the wireless card. We also changed the channels on the router (if that means plugging cable into different ones of the 1-4 channels??)

So, reckon if I get a new external one, think that could do the trick?
    thanks

S

Plugging a cable in and out of the ethernet ports has absolutely nothing got to do with with changing wireless channels. To do that you have to go into the router settings.

The best way as I think I suggested before to check if your wireless card is at fault is to try it in another wireless location.

i have tried mine in other araes wirelessly at hotel and it never disconnected.
    i have 1 mb connection speed when i am wireless, yet when i am plugged in by ethernet i am getting 54 mb connection.
    as of now i am unsure whether to try winsock reset to see if it works..
    should i try it??

Thanks again..

seems to be a common problem that wirelss signals drop, even when only 5 feet away from router...

i have tried mine in other araes wirelessly at hotel and it never disconnected.
    i have 1 mb connection speed when i am wireless, yet when i am plugged in by ethernet i am getting 54 mb connection.
    as of now i am unsure whether to try winsock reset to see if it works..
    should i try it??

Thanks again..

seems to be a common problem that wirelss signals drop, even when only 5 feet away from router...

If the laptop worked ok in another situation then there is most likely nothing wrong with its wireless card.

When you plug your laptop into a router via cable you see 54mb ok but that is simply the speed over your own network and nothing to do with your internet speed.

Have you tried changing wireless channel yet or checked via netstumbler to see if any of your neighbours are using the same channel.

Also are there any wireless gadgets in the house such as tv senders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

yet when i am plugged in by ethernet i am getting 54 mb connection.

54 Mb is wireless, not ethernet.

how do you change wireless channel?? im a novice to pc's..
    none of my neighbours have broadband at all or even dial up..very quiet small housing estate. I dont have any tv senders or anything like that.. I have had the pc plugged in now since i started my thread and it has never disconnected(which it shouldnt) but if i have it wireless it could disconnect several times during an hours use..

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

dub45 wrote: »
    If the laptop worked ok in another situation then there is most likely nothing wrong with its wireless card.

When you plug your laptop into a router via cable you see 54mb ok but that is simply the speed over your own network and nothing to do with your internet speed.

Have you tried changing wireless channel yet or checked via netstumbler to see if any of your neighbours are using the same channel.

Also are there any wireless gadgets in the house such as tv senders?

I agree with dub45 - something is interfering with it - Microwave played hell with mine until I changed channels - evertime the microwave came on the wireless dropped...

the house fone is right beside router..it a digital walk around one thats sits on its base station(u know the ones) Could this be upsetting the signal?????
    thats the only thing i can see or think of..

Thanks

ok, I have discovered how to change wireless channels but I notice that beside the list of channels is the 'tick' option box: Select Best Quality Channel Automatically.
    Surely if that's ticked then the channel will switch to whatever is best and I shouldn't have to mess around with it?
    I could have a perfect signal for 1 hr plus, then it drops for no reason and could be gone for rest of the hour/night. V. inconsistent!
    I recently installed the Belkin wireless USB network and i can't get that to work either!! It asks for a 'hex' key which I assumed to be the wireless key from the underside of the BT router, am I wrong (again!)?

thanks for ANY advice:rolleyes:
    scat

When you install the usb key on your pc it means that pc can now connect wirelessly. As part of that process the pc via whicever piece of software you are using to control the wireless will detect any wireless network in the area and when you click on that network to join it will look for the password for that network. Presumably thats the hex key that the usb is looking for.

You can set the password for the network by accessing the wireless network settings in the router in the same way as you accessed them to change the wireless channel.

thanks, will try that!

Advertisement