Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis doing well in Donegal?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello,
    Just wondering can anyone tell me if the taxis in Donegal/Letterkenny are making a pound? Saw about 25 of them queuing on high st in Letterkenny on Friday eveniing. It reminded me of Dublin to be honest. Surely such a small population cannot provide for that many drivers??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭digital pimp

i walk past mr.chippy at 7.30/7.45 in the morning and there's always 10 or 12 Taxis lined up.
    i dont see why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

star cabs get plenty of customers because they're only charging 5 euro per run.

other taxi drivers could do the same, they'd get more customers..better than sittin at the rank doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The town busses aren't used by many at all so taxi's are the main form of public transport..20,00 in the town plus probably another few thousand at weekends and at night theres hundreds of people looking for taxi's after night clubs so there must be a decent enough demand

It does seem ridiculous around MrChippy at times though, the taxis are almost out over the roundabout half the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

I remember in the local papers in the mid-90s the amazement that the number of taxis in Letterkenny had tripled in 10 years. In the mid-80s there were 9 taxis in the town, but 10 years later there were 27!

We must be in triple figures now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Local taxi man i know is forever complaining about the number of new plates issued and his loss of business. A couple of months ago he hired a fella to do Friday and Saturday night runs for him and they split the money he makes 50/50. Those are the two busiest nights for a taxi and the fact that he can afford to take them off and head to the pub makes a joke of his arguement. Yes there are too many taxis now, but he's still doing ok for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dub in donegal

Don't really know Senna. That man might have made a right few quid over the years and is just sittin back. My experience of Letterkenny is that after the clubs empty it is chaotic trying to get a taxi but what about during the day?
    I was in RDS in Ballsbridge two weeks ago and met a Letterkenny based driver who told me had sat his test for Dublin as well, just so he could make it over weekends. Anyway thanks for reply everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

He's been taxing for years and as you say, he's made plenty of money in the past 10-15 years taxing, but he's young enough and i doubt he could retire. I'd say he makes a comfortable living still, but just complains as he not making the 1000-1200 euro a week he used to.

Advertisement