Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website photos C&C request

Options
  • 09-09-2009 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

If anyone's willing to C&C these photos, I'd be grateful. It's my home site, there's some personal imagery, but nothing private. The green and grey labelled pages are the new stuff.

I posted a link to some friends and got some nice feedback, which has encouraged me to post here where I know grizzled weather-beating hardcore photographers hang out with their pet alligators. I'll say right now my work is thoroughly amateur, you'll see much better elsewhere. I want to improve what I'm doing, for that I need criticism from knowing eyes.

I've been scanning and restoring old negatives and slides, some of which mold found annoyingly tasty. I've restored what I can, but could only go so far; many older images are not at their best. There are recent photos too: I found the scanning and selecting got me out with my (new) camera, which I've yet to master.

I'm pretty sure I've got the digital post-processing wrong. If people would comment on technical flaws, and suggest better techniques, I'd be grateful. If it helps, I use Aperture and sometimes the GIMP.

Some people are reporting seeing banding at the bottom of some photos. The bands are not in the originals. I strongly suspect a cache somewhere is getting things wrong.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Perhaps you'd post a couple of images inline (there's a faq about [noparse][IMG][/IMG][/noparse] inline posting. I'd think people would probably respond a bit better to it (we're somewhat lazy around here to click on links - lol :D)

pop me a pm if you've any problem with the inline posting.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 devongarde

Oops ... what's faux on one board is par for another ...

Here's a small selection of photos in various sections on my site ...

picture-7.jpg

picture-9.jpg

picture-4.jpg

picture-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

The links to iveagh & harcourt are a bit messed up, everything moves to the top right hand side of the screen. I'm using Firefox. Theres tons of stuff on the website.

Chorcai wrote: »
    The links to iveagh & harcourt are a bit messed up, everything moves to the top right hand side of the screen. I'm using Firefox. Theres tons of stuff on the website.
    I tested it in various browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, Chrome and Safari) in Windows (7 and Vista) and OS X (Leopard and Snow Leopard), and it all seemed fine.

I suspect there's problem with my site host, or a cache somewhere between them and you. I'll take it up with them. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

some great work and lots of promise in your approach. It is in my opinion to a high quality but i'm not sure exactly what you were hoping for in each shot so temper any comments with that.

#1 is good. there is a bit of shadow going on and its difficult to say if it was intended or an oversight. Eitherways the image is good.

#2 is actually very interesting. not the run of the mill at all. There's something compelling about it.

#3 isn't really for me. I don't get much out of it tbh. Again without knowing what was the intention it is hard to say but a softer look is deployed here which if its what you wanted then hey, its fine - otherwise something to look out for.

#4 is lovely - a little too much shadow and a little dark overall but nevertheless I really like it. B/W and high contrast combined are my 'thing' anyhow so it's no surprise at all to me. With the shadow/dark regions - it appears that the subtleties with the shadows are lost.

Great work tbh. Well done.

• Advertisement

Thank you, that's useful feedback. :-)

Advertisement