Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv3 show on European Dog Show in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090910/tod-chinese-woman-spends-600-000-on-dog-575248e.html
    Andreac can you not see that the judges opinion becomes your opinion.
    I have never been to a dog show and i never will, but i am certainly no stranger to dog ownership.
    Why do so many judges have mustaches? the people involved in dog shows are more rank driven than their dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

dog showing is like any other hobby and doesnt appeal to everyone!
    any person who competes in any hobby or sport is competive..its human nature!!!
    my hobby is showing which ive been doing for 13 years now and im as addicted as ever :D
    you get every type of person at dog shows...but on the whole...most people are like myself.
    the time spent in the ring is tiny, its the whole craic and meeting up with friends ,comparing who won what...or didnt lol....is what makes the show!!
    you strive to learn to show your dog to its best and have it in tip top condition etc and then hope the judge likes your type on the day! if not.....next weekend could be better :p
    yes, there are some over the top people out there, just like there is in any sport and yes, some breeds do have problems but there are lots of good breeders out there who are striving to improve things!
    as for it being a money making thing.......most breeders who are breeding want to improve what they have ....and are very lucky to break even after a litter!
    i`ve had two litters in 13 years and can honestly say i maybe broke even, i bred to improve on my bitch (and travelled many miles to the right stud) the worry and exhaustion that breeding brings is tough and im not rushing to breed again for a few years.

as for studs, i`ve had the privilage of owning two champion males which i`ve never let out to stud as the i felt they didnt suit the bitches that were offered and im not in the minority!!
    you`ll always get the few bad eggs who give showing a bad name but we`re not all like that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I have never shown a dog and probably never will. However, I have gone to a few. Its a very enjoyable day.t here is a great social feel it. There is the day showing and, in some cases, the evening afterwards. I can see how it could become a hobby. I couldnt see how people could make large amount of money from. Even if you breed from a good show dog you are limited in the amount of times you breed a dog (well those with ethics are) and the expenses, of traveling to a show, accommodation, vet bills etc could easily wipe out any profit you may make from a litter. I know one guy who shows and breeds, occassionaly ,and he aint rolling in the money -

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

macshadow wrote: »
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090910/tod-chinese-woman-spends-600-000-on-dog-575248e.html
    Andreac can you not see that the judges opinion becomes your opinion.
    I have never been to a dog show and i never will, but i am certainly no stranger to dog ownership.
    Why do so many judges have mustaches? the people involved in dog shows are more rank driven than their dogs.

Sorry, but i dont get the link???

If you have never been to a show then please dont comment on judges or their opinions.
    Im sorry but i know a lot of judges and very few of them have moustaches,so that comment is pointless really. How can you say that if you have never even been to a show or seen a judge???
    i really dont know where your arguement is coming from or where its going, but if you have no knowledge or experience of the topic being discussed then you really shouldnt be commenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moonzmum

Scuse me, i judge and I dont have a moustache lol, but I only judge small shows not IKC sanctioned ones. I have been showing dogs since I was 10, Im now 50, I never made up a champion, wasnt that lucky, but I do enjoy showing, meeting people, seeing the dogs at their best. My mum is 73 now and still travels far and wide showing, she never made up a champion either, just really enjoys it, its our hobby. Im afraid you get bitchy folk in all walks of life, its human nature;). I think you will find its the byb that makes money from dog breeding, with no thoughts to health testing, just churning ill puppies out to the unsuspecting public. Most people I know go to shows coz they enjoy them, if ya win, its an added bonus;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

A friend of mine reckons Ms Knowles from this programme (the cocker spaniel owner) has a website for her kennel. Does anyone know if this is true?

I can't find a website anywhere on the net for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I dont think so Lemlin, her kennel name is RUSHMI bit i cant find anything online for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

andreac wrote: »
    I dont think so Lemlin, her kennel name is RUSHMI bit i cant find anything online for her.

I couldn't find anything either thanks Rushmi. He must have been mistaken. I know the McEntee Campbells have a site at baysway.ie, maybe he got her mixed up with them as they are also cocker breeders.

Advertisement