Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning of the end for Irelands democratic experiment ?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/refusal-to-report-attack-quite-incredible-1881246.html

Well,does anybody consider the situation outlined here to be of even slight relevance to the rapidly worsening general one ?

This just can`t get more relevant to whether we have a functioning Political Administration or simply a crowd of shysters scrabbling around trying to protect their crooked developer bankrollers.....:rolleyes:

Wonder what Dermot Aherne thinks .??????

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

End of the beginning for overstating the case.....

Just looked out my window and that scrap in Limerick has not exactly spread to the streets of South Kerry yet.

On the other hand, I did hear that once there was a fight between two men in Ireland back in the 1950s, and both democracy and the Government survived that massive setback...

To answer the OP, a threat to a Solicitor in Limerick hasn't even the slightest, teeniest, weeniest link to the general situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just looked out my window and that scrap in Limerick has not exactly spread to the streets of South Kerry yet.

True I suppose although hard to prove/disprove.....:)

I suppose the responses so far are akin to Mr Chamberlain`s scrap of "Peace in Our Time" paper of 70 years ago.

Still,he probably was guilty of UNDERstating the case.... :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Living in the centre of Limerick city as I do, close enough for someone from the country to throw a stone and hit O'Connell Street, it hasn't quite spread to my street yet either:)

Hence I suspect rumours of the nation's demise are a little overstated.

They're not scumbags, they're clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The same scum he represents as a living are no different to those that assaulted him.

Sure he is a solicitor and everyone has the right to legal representation. At taxpayers expense for many!

But now John Devine is seeing how many of those victims in Limerick felt while he was defending his clients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Funny how he is concerned for the safety of his family and friends now. He never seemed all that bothered as to why so few were willing to give evidence against the scum he defended.

mikemac wrote: »
    But now John Devine is seeing how many of those victims in Limerick felt while he was defending his clients.

That's a bit harsh.

I'm sure Mr. Devane is well aware of what it feels like to be a victim, judging from his book on the abuse he suffered as a child.

It doesn't disentitle him from doing a job.

What next, prison wardens fratermise with criminals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

So not even the legal system enough to report crime?

Statement is over the top granted but it doesn't sound very good when a solicator refuses to make a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

This particular solicitor makes a killing defending limerick crminals. No-one li limerick has any sympathy for him. Asking him to make a statement would be like asking him to slaughter the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Live by the sword...

Advertisement