Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2% levy

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi, I heard a rumor that if you have a medical card you dont have to pay the 2% levy on your wages, is this true? If so how do I go about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Take a look at section 10 on page 14 of the PDF document linked in the lower right corner of this page (Dept. of Social Welfare). Note that you are already be exempt for any week in which you earn less than €500 gross. If you're a PAYE employee this should automatically be dealt with as part of your payroll. If you're self-employed then the rules are slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭steder

Nope i had a card for a while and didnt pay the levy.

I told the wages clerk when i got it and she sorted it out for me:)

If you're a PAYE employee this should automatically be dealt with as part of your payroll.
    Just a quick note that it should automatically be dealt with once you inform payroll and give them the details. Neither they nor the Revenue will know about it otherwise.

Normally you're able to reclaim overpayments of tax. It's worth inquiring about how you can get a refund of any Health Levy payments you've made while in possession of a medical card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 colin469

thanks for that info i'll talk to my employer, just wanted to be sure before i went in

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Just wanted to add my thanks to the Op for asking the question and those who responded as I didn't know about this and we've been paying the levy despite having a medical card, one happy chappy here :D Good old boardies do it again

• Advertisement

Just a quick note to clarify one thing. My post and link referred to the Health Levy. Full Medical Card holders are also exempted from the Income Levy. It's handled similarly through payroll and a refund of any overpayment should be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Yes my partner found out today and so it will be backdated which was really welcome news, so thanks again.

Advertisement