Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window for shed

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a cheap and cheerful 70cm x 90cm pane of glass/clear plastic for a window to be used on an old shed to help provide "some" wind/rain protection. I don't fancy shelling out for safety glass so does anyone have any recommendations for the type of glass or clear plastic that I could use?

I saw some sort of clear plastic sheeting in B&Q which seems to fit the bill though it seemed a bit flimsy and was quite expensive... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I recently did up an old 8ft x 6ft wooden shed so my kids can use it as a playhouse/den when out in the garden (and it keeps them out of my 20ft x 10ft steel shed, so no more messing with my tools!). However the wooden shed is fairly dark as there's only the one small window. I found this crowd on the web who are based in Ashbourne, Co. Meath and they will cut perspex (of different thicknesses) to your requirements and deliver it to you (or you can collect it:-

http://www.365plastics.ie/

I plan to get a large cut sheet of perspex off them and use it as a full length window in the side of the shed to let more light in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Thanks for that Dave - I registered with them, selected the correct size sheet of perspex, put in the thickness and the cut dimensions and placed my order... and was then hit with a 15 euro postage charge.

It'll work out cheaper from B&Q so I guess thats where I'm off to. :D
    Thanks for the info anyway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Do you need the window? :)

Mate of mine is selling a window if u are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

NickTellis wrote: »
    Thanks for that Dave - I registered with them, selected the correct size sheet of perspex, put in the thickness and the cut dimensions and placed my order... and was then hit with a 15 euro postage charge.

Its only a 25 minute drive from my place so I can collect in person. Bit of a hefty delivery charge I have to admit for a lightweight product. I had a hefty 46inch lcd tv delivered from Belfast to my place in Kildare and it only cost a tenner. Some companies need to wake up and discover that they are losing business with their additional costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

was just going to say that, I did something similar, got a sheet of perspex from B&Q , they have a variety of thickness's, mainly just to protect from wind/rain, did the job I wanted it to do.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Pablod wrote: »
    was just going to say that, I did something similar, got a sheet of perspex from B&Q , they have a variety of thickness's, mainly just to protect from wind/rain, did the job I wanted it to do.:D

Thanks for that. Did you need to cut it and, if so, what did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Thanks for that. Did you need to cut it and, if so, what did you use?

The sheet I got was thin enough so I was able to score it with a stanley a number of times to cut through it and made 2-3 layers out of it, otherwise a small hacksaw will do the job.

But if you choose one of the thicker sheets, ask them to cut it for you on their large industrial saw - the first cut is genearally free.

Advertisement