Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pix.ie /rant

• 09-09-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I know I have some doggy photos there myself, I am only getting back into photography but lately theres all kinda ****e been up loaded, I thought the site was aimed at people who are "into" photography. Screen shots of computer games ? Lame pictures of a day driving xyz with no thought put into any photos ? Anime drawings bla bla bla.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

maybe they should employ you as quality control...only allow quality photos plus some doggy ones...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I like when ppl criticising other ppls work have links to their work either in the body of the post or in their sig, you have neither, so show us yer pics or stfu!

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Chorcai wrote: »
    I thought the site was aimed at people who are "into" photography.

Where did you get that idea?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I know I have some doggy photos there myself, I am only getting back into photography but lately theres all kinda ****e been up loaded,

Is this a misspelling? Meant to be dodgy :rolleyes:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

dogging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What a ridiculas thread

You called!

Tallon wrote: »
    What a ridiculas thread

Spoil sport :mad::(

What a ridiculas thread

He is talking about your pics Tallon, go get him!

• Advertisement

He is talking about your pics Tallon, go get him!

What the hell is wrong with my computer game screenshots?
    The lighting composition in Halo 3 is so artistic... and the long exposure of the mushroom kingdom is...... oh, your joking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

What a ridiculas thread

I have to object here, if the spelling of dodgy being incorrect wasn't bad enough, the spelling of ridiculous isn't ridiculas.

Jeezz - this place is really going to the dogz

;)

/runs for cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

IBTL :pac::D

/I was googlin 'dodgy doggy style' and ended up here, bulmers, burger ! :p

Bummer Bugger? :eek:

The OP will check back in in a while, see what a load if attention his thread has got, his little heart will skip a beat he will click in and see that we have been taking the piss out of him and will never be seen again!

i wonder if the boards username is the same as the pixie one www.pix.ie/Chorcai ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

i wonder if the boards username is the same as the pixie one www.pix.ie/Chorcai ?

Hmm. Maybe the OP DID mean 'doggy' snaps :rolleyes:

Apologies to Chorcai, give us an inch and we'll take a mile :D
    As regards your point, I think pix.ie is a great service and a great website, and I think its there for all levels of photographers !
    /ok back to the slagging now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Well that goes some ways to clarifying the doggy/dodgy question. There are def doggy photos on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ok, let's not go the C&C route on the OP's pix.ie stream as it wasn't requested. Forum etiquette dictates. Give the OP a chance to come back in. If they are up for a bit of poking fun at themselves then it may be fine.

The OP did at the outset say it was a rant and that they considered they had some dodgy images in their own pix.ie stream.

I trust that they will see the funny side to much of what was posted but before anyone goes to the level of C&C on his/her pix.ie account - it wasn't requested and hence with the etiquette of the forum shouldn't be given.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

In fairness pixie has sort of been marketed (deliberately or otherwise) as an Irish alternative to flickr, but the name "pix" indicates any kind of picture. No, not photo. Picture.

People drawing anime or sharing snaps of their drive to Wexford should be more then welcome to an artistically driven community then people with Canon 1D's etc. Hell, sometimes that unintentional shot of the car driving over a hill last weekend on your iPhone camera can be 10x better then the shot you set up on a 50D with a tripod and proper lighting rigs.

Maybe pixie's engineer wizards just need to develop the site into a more artistic community a-la deviantART so as to avoid confusion so the OP and people like him/her don't get angry when they see haenous crimes against photography posted. Damn those talented anime drawing people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Holy christ, 10 posts about a miss spelling...

@Dodgykeeper - I quite like Tallon photos, infact the one with the tin of tuna he did was great. I have no problem getting/giving a slagging. I came here to get help, advise, C&C. Also www.pix.ie/chorcai happy ?

@Ghost Train - yes that is me.

@Morrisseeee - Well I thought it was for photographers but that matter has been cleared up now.

@trooney - Never said I was a pro.

@AnCatDubh - I have no problem with people doing a C&C on any of my photos (I am only getting back into photograhy, did it in college SLR B+W was all we could do, nearly 8yrs ago) as long as it fair an balanced, to be honest there are only about 5 good shots there worth a C&C. Also a friend of my who has very kindly given me their Canon D10 that they no longer use, at the start of this week, the photos on the site are from a compact camera about 4yrs old I think. Now that I have a good camera I would hope to get help here from users of DSLR cameras.

@projectmayhem - thanks for clearing that up I was under the impression pix's was aimed at photography.

yay, win for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Holy christ, 10 posts about a miss spelling...

@Dodgykeeper - I quite like Tallon photos, infact the one with the tin of tuna he did was great. I have no problem getting/giving a slagging. I came here to get help, advise, C&C. Also www.pix.ie/chorcai happy ?

@Ghost Train - yes that is me.

@Morrisseeee - Well I thought it was for photographers but that matter has been cleared up now.

@trooney - Never said I was a pro.

@AnCatDubh - I have no problem with people doing a C&C on any of my photos (I am only getting back into photograhy, did it in college SLR B+W was all we could do, nearly 8yrs ago) as long as it fair an balanced, to be honest there are only about 5 good shots there worth a C&C. Also a friend of my who has very kindly given me their Canon D10 that they no longer use, at the start of this week, the photos on the site are from a compact camera about 4yrs old I think. Now that I have a good camera I would hope to get help here from users of DSLR cameras.

@projectmayhem - thanks for clearing that up I was under the impression pix's was aimed at photography.

Wasn't casting any aspersions on either your spelling or photos. Just pointing out there are DEFINITLEY doggy pix in your stream - a la http://pix.ie/chorcai/1177862/in/album/352451

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

trooney wrote: »
    Wasn't casting any aspersions on either your spelling or photos. Just pointing out there are DEFINITLEY doggy pix in your stream - a la http://pix.ie/chorcai/1177862/in/album/352451

Ah I see, sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

some dogdy ones are probabally mine at pix.ie/aidan18 but hey we all begin somewhere. enjoy pix.ie there are some excellent shots on the website

All taken in jest I hope Chorcai.:)
    Well I thought it was for photographers
    Yes it is, 'all' types of photographers, I myself only took it up last August, so the 1st few I uploaded back then were fairly newbie-ish !! and I'm still learning. Remember that on pix.ie you can have private/friends folders & public folders ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I tend to agree with the OP. Some people are pretty prolix in their uploading - you can get everything plus the kitchen sink: photo after photo after photo of a child, car, party, whatever without any consideration for quality control. It makes it tiresome at times scrolling from screen to screen in order to see something interesting. Perhaps consideration could be given to a minimum number of uploads per week and maybe make any one upload dependent on giving feedback on at least 3 other photos.

Regards,

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If i have to upload screencaps to either pix.ie or flickr i usually set them as hideen because i'm sure people don't want to see them :)

don't really browse pixie that much, must do it some more... and animals make great subjects, usually pretty photogenic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Carrigman wrote: »
    Perhaps consideration could be given to a minimum number of uploads per week and maybe make any one upload dependent on giving feedback on at least 3 other photos.

Oh please no! One of the most annoying aspects of flickr which just leads to a load of ' great shot, man' comments to enable people to build up 'credits' to add their own shots!

In fairness, there's some superb stuff on pixie and maybe the best way to access it is to add some people whose stuff you like and check out their contacts. That way, you'll find nice stuff popping up regularly in the 'contacts recent albums' and you won't have to wade through the boring dross that some people do undoubtedly post.

The strongest aspect of pixie for me is the community aspect to it :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Indeed, what Dakar said re flickr and those "must comment" notions. Only bad things come from it.

Pix.ie really handy for uploading whatever you want. Whether that be well thought out photos, family snaps, sketched doodles...doesn't matter. Pl;enty of room for it all and that's what I like about it. I'd certainly take umbridge if someone thought that something wasn't of merit or not in the spirit of the site.
    It's really handy for sharing family and fun snaps with relations and friends around the world...very handy site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

+1 for allowing it all.

I have my "serious" shots up there, but also holiday snaps and private family photos for sharing.

If we restrict it only to high-art we'll only end up fighting on what is "high-art" ;)

Having said that - there does appear to be some copyright infringing "photos"/pictures on the site - some people seem to be using it as a depository for linking to their own websites. Something pix.ie should be aware of in case American lawyers start knocking at your door over copyright/trademark infringement.

Flickr has even more crap. I think that the way Pix works means that we are more likely to come cross the crap there. On Flickr I never see stuff apart from my contacts or if I "explore". One of the great mysteries of Flickr has been how a photograph gets into "explore". Whatever method they use seems to weed out the posts that get the rubbish gif awards and loads of comments.

On Pix "explore" seems to work very well too.

My suggestion is that Pix gets rid of the "recent photos" link. It's through this link that we are seduced into browsing the garbage. People can keep up to date easily with their contacts through the updated albums section with other photos through the "Best this......" links.

Advertisement