Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wilwood

paperclip2 wrote: »
    There are some key points to cover when doing a personal statement.

Having extensive work experience relating to the course area is really valuable. You should have a good degree of insight into the reality of your chosen field and colleges like to see that. But they also want someone who is capable of meeting the academic demands of the course so its important to try and convey your ability in relation to that also.

Thanks, thats very helpfull. Iv my personal statement finished now, Iv gotten a few people to look over it and it seems good.

1 more question, the only copy of my leaving cert results I have is the small version (that they give you in the school on results day) iv got my school to copy it and stamp it, its perfectly legible with all the official markings on it. im just wondering is this ok to send with my application????
    iv ordered a copy of my cert from examinations.ie a few days ago but don't want to wait for it to come if I don't need to, I would prefer to get my application sent off soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

wilwood wrote: »
    Thanks, thats very helpfull. Iv my personal statement finished now, Iv gotten a few people to look over it and it seems good.

1 more question, the only copy of my leaving cert results I have is the small version (that they give you in the school on results day) iv got my school to copy it and stamp it, its perfectly legible with all the official markings on it. im just wondering is this ok to send with my application????
    iv ordered a copy of my cert from examinations.ie a few days ago but don't want to wait for it to come if I don't need to, I would prefer to get my application sent off soon.

If you have the original official version that the Dept sent you when you got your results thats fine to send.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

What happens if tuition fees change? For example it says:

Tuition fees will be paid in respect of students who, having attended, but not completed, approved courses, and who did not obtain a qualification, are returning following a break of at least five years in order to pursue approved courses at the same level in the 2012/13 academic year.

However, what if for the year 2013/14 they simply removed this line? Shouldn't there be some kind of guarantees or warnings about future changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FatherFrost

Does anyone know the difference between the personal statement on the CAO application(1000 word summary of where you are etc..) And statements the colleges themselves want you to write in there own applications(Maynooth for example)
    I kind of said/used all I wanted to say in the CAO one and would like to reuse it with a little tinkering, but will the college see both at same time and think this lad is lazy for the paste-fest?

Tks :)

Colleges usually like to see a greater degree of insight into their own particular course than you can include in a general statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Hey guys, Newbie here! Wondering would anybody please give my p.s. a run over and set me right before I send it off!? Mucho Apreciatio if anyone can! I buy ya a pack a wine gums! ;)

Imagination is a wonderful thing. It breed concepts and ideas that when complimented with knowledge, can mould our world into a more radical and entertaining place to be. I hold a great ambition and desire to contribute my two cents to the ever expanding and exciting field of Digital Media. The prospect of a career with such broad exciting potential really attracts me to this area and one I feel I can thrive in.

It was during my days as an immature student (2005-2008) that I discovered my creative streak. Through the tuition of my housemate I picked up the guitar which soon won the lion’s share of my spare time. However, before long I grew unsatisfied learning the work of others so I began trying to write my own lyrics and music. I haven’t stopped since. I find it a great form of creative expression and fancy the idea of creating videos and multimedia to bring ideas to life. Also during my recent backpacking experiences around Asia, Australia and New Zealand I unearthed a passion for photography that I would previously never gave much thought to. But with such beautiful scenic locations in abundance, it was hard not to get the camera out. I became friends with a fellow tourist on my travels who had done a Digital Media course in the U.K. and he really opened my eyes to the sector. I have continued this since and would be eager to learn the professional approach to the art.

I regret not realising this enthusiasm a few years earlier as it may of led me to this point a lot sooner. Electronic & Computer engineering seemed appealing to me at the time as I love technology and would be a self-confessed gadget freak. But if I am honest, ultimately I was not ready for a course so technically challenging and secondly the heavy reliance on mathematical based modules contributed to my struggle. So when I recently decided to return to Higher Education I had to ask myself a few questions.

1. What do I truly and honestly want to do with my life?
    2. How can I utilize my skills and interests to achieve my ambitions?
    3. Which is the best route to make it happen?

The answers to these led me to pursue a career in Digital Media.

For much of my employed life I have been in the service industry. Most notable would be my four years with Lidl Supermarkets . They place a lot of emphasis on teamwork and organization and it is with these traits I feel would help me in any given project and working with others. In early February I’m due to take a Web Design course over twelve weeks which awards a City and Guilds iTQ Certificate of Unit Credit in Website Software Level 2. And following this I will undertake an ECDL Certificate in Image Editing in order to gain skills and knowledge of Photoshop. In doing these I'm hoping to get a little head start before September.

In conclusion, I deeply wish to be given the opportunity to release my potential in such a creative environment. Embracing the technologies of today and utilizing them to bring to life my imagination is something I would relish. Developing my hobbies and interests into a career gives me great incentive and one I will devoutly strive to achieve.

Thank You For Your Time.

Sean Gallagher

Well just a few things that I noticed, I'd change "immature student" to undergraduate, and maybe mention what course you were doing. Also breed should be breeds in first line.

Unsatisfied should be dissatisfied.

After New Zealand Asia etc change from "I would to I had.

Completely rephrase "but the beautiful scenery inspired me to get the camera out", eg 'The beautiful scenery was captivating and I was inspired to record it at every opportunity through photographs and audiovisual recordings." (I added audiovisual due to digital media part)

I'd possibly change the "regret not realising this enthusiasm...." paragraph. You shouldn't really say you regret your qualifications, but be more like your "going to build on my previous education and experience in engineering in digital media, and I feel my undergraduate degree in engineering has given me a thorough understanding in some of the technological aspects that go with digital media." Also don't say self confessed gadget freak but something like you enjoy keeping up to date with advances in electrical technology.

Don't be honest!! What i mean is dont say your bad at maths or you struggled with the technological aspect. All you need to say is you struggled with the commitment required in your previous degree and now with a combination of maturity and a passion for the course content you feel you will enjoy greater success in the course your applying to. You can reword that to suit but you get the jist.

I'd add in a number 4: Do I understand and am I prepared to make the sacrifices that exist both socially and financially by returning to college as a mature student?

Mention you have worked with different nationalities. I too worked for Lidl for two years and the fear and panic experienced when someone said "someone from the head office in Germany will be in" was huge!! However spin it a little, as it isn't a lie, Lidl is run to the German work ethic so use it.

Remove "deeply" from the conclusion

I think that's it for now. Maybe make changes and repost and someone can cast a critical eye over it again. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 highvoltage87

Cheers dude! Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Does anyone know the difference between the personal statement on the CAO application(1000 word summary of where you are etc..) And statements the colleges themselves want you to write in there own applications(Maynooth for example)
    I kind of said/used all I wanted to say in the CAO one and would like to reuse it with a little tinkering, but will the college see both at same time and think this lad is lazy for the paste-fest?

Tks :)

When I applied, I just used the same PS. Didn't change it at all. Worked for me!

Mod Hat

Right folks as some people have been posting their personal statements here I think there's a need for a bit of cautionary advice. Please be aware that if you choose to post your statements you are leaving yourself open to your work being plagiarised and this could get you into trouble down the line.
    Also please be careful about what personal information you post from an internet safety point of view. You are responsible for what you post so make sure you don't leave yourself open to unfortunate consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nordie Durdle

All forms posted and submitted, now the waiting game.

Just want to say a massive thanks to paperclip and Larianne, you have been brilliant in helping to clarify the process and solve the issues I've had so far. If I believed in karma I'd say yous deserve bucket-loads of it coming your ways. Or at the very least a pint anyways :D

I'm just wondering now that we have passed the deadline what the next contact we can expect is, are we likely to hear nothing until we hopefully get called for interviews?

• Advertisement

All forms posted and submitted, now the waiting game.

Best of luck with it. Hope you get the course you want.

Just want to say a massive thanks to paperclip and Larianne, you have been brilliant in helping to clarify the process and solve the issues I've had so far. If I believed in karma I'd say yous deserve bucket-loads of it coming your ways. Or at the very least a pint anyways :D

You're welcome. Not sure about the karma though :eek:
    I'm just wondering now that we have passed the deadline what the next contact we can expect is, are we likely to hear nothing until we hopefully get called for interviews?

By the end of May you should get a Statement of Application Record from CAO listing all of the courses, etc they have on file for you. If you don't get it by 1st June then you need to contact them ASAP.

If tests or interviews are part of the assessment for your courses then you will hear from the colleges before then. The tests etc usually take place through March, April and May though they can be later for late applicants.

If you are applying for courses in UCC, UCD, or NUIG then you might need MSAP which has a separate registration: http://msap.acer.edu.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

Got my interview for Maynooth Arts this Wednesday.. I'm surprised by how quickly It came.. Can I expect any news on whether I will get in on Wed or will It just be another step? Cheers

Got my interview for Maynooth Arts this Wednesday.. I'm surprised by how quickly It came.. Can I expect any news on whether I will get in on Wed or will It just be another step? Cheers

Did you get it by post or email or what? Just curious as should probably be expecting one myself soon then

Did you get it by post or email or what? Just curious as should probably be expecting one myself soon then

It was posted out a few days ago.. I'm there at midday on Wed..
    I'm sure they will have loads to get through and I've just been lucky
    to be up at the start.. Are you going for Arts??

It was posted out a few days ago.. I'm there at midday on Wed..
    I'm sure they will have loads to get through and I've just been lucky
    to be up at the start.. Are you going for Arts??

history ye.
    Are these proper interviews, as in suit and lots of perpetration? Feels weird wearing such attire to a college :p

history ye.
    Are these proper interviews, as in suit and lots of perpetration? Feels weird wearing such attire to a college :p

Good question :P Well I'm just going to wear smart Ted Baker trousers and a tight jumper with clean runners.. I think some prep will have to be done.. I suspect they are going to ask about your knowledge of the course in detail and how you will be able to finance It.. I've gotten a good feel for what to suspect by browsing through this forum and listening to those who have already gone through the process :O

I'm hoping to do a dual language degree :P

Don't wear runners to an interview.

Larianne wrote: »

I got my last few jobs this way

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Anybody hear anything from UCC yet? Particulary the business courses as they have no entrance exams and may respond sooner...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mcleixlip

Very important. Before you put yourself through hell - make sure you qualify for BTEA as early as possible. If you fall short, you can get an extra couple of days by asking the deciding officer to take into consideration the days between final date on your P45 and actually date of registered unemployed - they are accommodating on this. I still fell short by 4 days last Sept and had to de-register. It was heartbreaking. There is NO leeway what-so-ever for "pretty close" - either you make it or you don't. Check with your welfare office immediately, DON'T take the word of some FÁS guy of "ah, you'll be grand" - you mightn't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 daisy_days

Hi all.

I am after applying as a mature student for a degree in W.I.T. Could somebody please tell me how successful applicants are selected? Does the course leader decide who gets a place or is the cao? Is it based on the information you put down on the CAO form or the assessment form they send you in May? Any advice is welcome. I have meet with the course leader, the S.L.L office in WIT and still a little confused.

Thanks Daisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Now that you know what supplementary documents you need for your course application, get working on it straight away.

****Applying for a place as a mature student is pretty much the same as applying for a new job. Always remember that you are in competition with, in some cases, hundreds of applicants. You have to make your application the best it can be and one which will make the selectors want you on their course. And due to the ‘current climate’ you can bet there will be a huge increase in mature student applicants for 2010 entry. Competition will be fierce.***

CV

Like any CV for a job, make the CV suit the course you are applying for. Focus mainly on any details which are relevant to the course you are applying to. Don’t have the CV overloaded with information (such as hobbies/interests/achievements) as you get a chance to explain experience etc. in your personal statement and application forms. I would use it to big up educational info and work experience. Limit it to two pages, shorter if possible. The CV is used as a time line of your experience since leaving school – this is my experience from interviews.

Examination Results

Along with your Junior/Leaving Certificate results and any 3rd Level course results, include any training certificates etc. Obviously if you’ve done a course in flower arranging and now wanting to go into business, unless you’re planning on opening a florist after, I’d leave that one out.

Just a little side note on Education (okay not that little):

As I’ve stated before, I got rejected the first time I applied for my course. I wrote to the three Heads of Department and asked what area of my application was the weakest. Two replied, both saying my level of education let me down – I had sat my leaving certificate 8 years ago and the course I went on to do after school was Art related with very little academic element to it. To fix this, I went and enrolled in an Access course at UCD. The subjects taught were at Leaving Certificate level and the aim of the course was to prepare me for 3rd level education. Access courses are new enough in Ireland, I think, but are very common in the UK.

Now, just because my lack of education hindered me in getting a place, it could be different for you and your course. Everyone’s application is different. I would advise contacting admissions or the Head of Department or whoever is in charge of mature student applications and giving them a quick rundown of your work and education experience and see if you need to add to it.

There are plenty of 1 year courses out there that can prepare you for college. Most universities have access courses attached to them in some form. And there are also plenty of FETAC courses usually run by PLC colleges, some with direct links to universities, available to suit your interests. You may even decide to take the Leaving Certificate again, or for the first time!

(I am glad that I didn’t get offered a place first time around as I think I would have been lost at uni. Doing the access course has given me lots of confidence about my academic ability to start the course this year.)

Personal Statement

This IS the biggy. You need to get this one right. This is where you get a chance to sell yourself properly. This is the hardest part of the application. Is it too long? Is it too short? Have I spent too much time talking about this? Do I need to speak about that? Is it too moany?

When I was writing mine out I stated:

• Why I wanted to do the course

• What influence me to do the course/go back to education

• What work experience/voluntary work has helped me build up the skills to be successful in the ‘new’ career – be it working in the same/similar sector or taking up work experience/volunteering some way related to the course.

• Any courses (full/part time) which relate to the course to show how you can cope with workloads.

• Interests and Hobbies which relate to the course.

• Your hopes for the future after you graduate.

The best thing to do is get someone else to proof read it for you. Ask them to be brutal. But choose the person wisely who will do this. I found www.thestudentroom.com a great source for information/examples of personal statements and they have a facility where you post up your personal statement and advisors (who are students on courses or past students on your course area) read over the statement and give you advice on what to change/add to your statement. (done privately so no ned to worry).

I guess the average length would be a page and a half but mine ended up being just over two pages!

It was recommended by a member of a university admissions office to make your personal statement ‘quite’ soppy. But be careful not to be too over the top. No-one likes a whinge or a lick arse.

Work Experience & Voluntary work

This is also a very important part of your application. Having gone to observe people at work in the area of interest is a huge plus for your application. It shows you know what you are getting yourself in for and that you’ve made an effort to find out as much as you can about the profession. It can be very difficult to get work experience – people don’t have the time these days, insurance etc. Speaking to someone by telephone rather than email/letter is best. It is much harder for someone to say no to you while on the other end of the phone. Put the message out to your family and friends that you are looking for work experience and get them to spread the word. You never know who knows who!

Voluntary work is easy to get and looked upon favourably especially if you are applying for a health or social care course. Not many people like to work for free but most volunteer work is fun and it doesn’t need to take up a lot of your time. 1-3 hours one day a week might be all you need to do. There are many places to help out – community centres, Youthreach, nursing homes, soup kitchens, charity shops, meals on wheels.

References

I followed UCD’s application procedure for all universities I applied to and gave 3 references/letter of recommendation – one academic, one work related and one other (another academic). Try to have your references from your most recent work/education. Referees with titles - the higher the better. Remember, treat this like a job application – having a reference from the department manager is better than your supervisor. If you can, ask the referee can you give them a sample letter of what you would like them to include in the letter. I think most people are used to this and prefer it as it gives them an idea of what you want written. Be polite about it though!

Completing your application

N.B. Give yourself plenty of time to complete your application. After Christmas, the deadline comes around pretty quick! I’d start getting things organised now if possible. Things like getting references, certified copies of exam results can take time. And the personal statement will be the bane of your life for the next few months!

Make a checklist of everything you need and double/treble check you have everything. I would photocopy EVERYTHING that you send to each college (this will help you prepare for your interview later on).

You said you wrote to the departments asking were you feel down with application, did you write or would it be ok to email?
    Cheers

I think I wrote letters to them but you could write an email sure. If you don't hear from them, then I'd follow up with a letter.

Cheers, this thread is very helpful, just wish I'd looked at it before my interviews etc started!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

What if trainers are all you have?

Borrow shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nordie Durdle

Heck maybe even buy a pair!

I dressed like it was a job interview, make an effort I say !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

my original comment was meant in jest, with some seriousness behind it. I did only have runners, but had fully intended on making the effort to dress up well. And buy new shoes. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 mamaehinoh

hello all.. i had to defer my place last year for intellectual disability nursing. i'm going to start this september. anyone here that have been offered a course in DCU? and those that are planning to apply for CAO this october, good luck! don't give up on chasing your dreams :) it may take longer than you think. but don't give up. believe in yourself, and you will get there!

Advertisement