Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I've a place on the TAP course in Trinity, can't wait to start, I've already been in using some of the sports facilities, which is nice to get acquainted with the place. Just waiting for a my first dole payment next week so I can try applying for a BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Giving it holly

abceire wrote: »
    Just waiting for a my first dole payment next week so I can try applying for a BTEA.

I'm think you have to be on the dole for 6 months to get the BTEA. So be careful as if you tell em that you are going to college, you mightn't get the dole as you are not available for work.

You need a certain number of days on the dole worked up, but once you are on the dole before you apply for btea that is fine. You can have had some time working while working up days needed on dole. Had to explain. But I've been approved, I'm just waiting of for my register letter from the college which I'll send to the btea people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kearney68

You need a certain number of days on the dole worked up, but once you are on the dole before you apply for btea that is fine. You can have had some time working while working up days needed on dole. Had to explain. But I've been approved, I'm just waiting of for my register letter from the college which I'll send to the btea people.

Certain amount of day's worked up over he previous 9 months is it???I was on the dole for a year-then I went to Canada,just back now and applied for the dole again...starting college in 3 weeks.I wont be eligible i'd imagine??can anyone shed some light here,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

kearney68 wrote: »
    Certain amount of day's worked up over he previous 9 months is it???I was on the dole for a year-then I went to Canada,just back now and applied for the dole again...starting college in 3 weeks.I wont be eligible i'd imagine??can anyone shed some light here,cheers

Hi
    To qualify for BTEA for third level you need to have a minimum of 234 days signing on. DSP can add periods of time spent on Jobseekers together to make up the required amount of days as long as there are no breaks of longer than 12 months between the periods of claim.

You may also need to qualify for a Jobseeker payment immediately before applying for BTEA and attending college.

There have been recent changes to the BTEA scheme so it would be a good idea to check with DSP.

• Advertisement

The social welfare people are worth going to talk about to see if you've the right amount of days etc worked up. Hard to know by yourself.

I'm supposed to sign on the same day I'm register in college, it's all day next Wed and the college said I shouldn't miss the day at all. Can you sign on a day early? I've tried ringing the Social Welfare a few times but can't get anyone. Suppose I'll drop over tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

You cant do both? Pop in to sigh on in the morn, and then head over to register in the afternoon. Or the other way round?
    Or go down to your local SW office, and tell them the situation. They may be able to move it for you.

Failing that though, the college will have a secondary day for anyone who cant make the main day though I reckon.

See my course is different, it's Trinity Access Programme, 9.30 am they want us in that day, it's on until 4.30pm whatever they doing. I asked could I be late, nope, they really need us all, went to Social Welfare people and weirdly they said I don't need to sign on. I would've nearly liked that in writing. But there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Hey guys, sorry for dragging up this threat, but I really need advice.

I already made a thread, but got no replies.

First of hat's off to the OP of the thread, seems like she put a lot of time into it, and this is going to be my bible for the next few weeks. All the tip are amazing.

I'm currently doing a level 6 in Community Development. The course was mainly thrown together as its the first year that the college has done this course, so the progression is kinda a ? at the moment. The guidence consulor came into the class the other day and really through people off.

The course I really WANT is the TMS in TCD. I would love to History and Social Science.

I've noticed in the thread that your experience ect is a biggy in the apllication process.

I'm getting nervous now, as I haven't a clue if I'm going down a dead end. I haven't really done anything with History other than the LC.

Was wondering if anyone has any advice about the interview (if I get one), will it go against me that I only have a LC in history and currently doing a Level 6 in Community Development?

Sorry if the post seems all over the place, just really nervous if Im going down the wrong path :(

• Advertisement

You could join a historical society, or take short night course in histroy somewhere, research the hell out of the course, the tcd website is really good, how many modules in the first year, 2nd, 3rd 4th. contact hours, lectures a week, don't just read the book for research, maybe look up who is teach history, one of the lecturers is on newstalk every sunday night, listen to it. I did interviews for a different course last year and I wasn't prepared at all. But I got on a foundation course in TCD which I was really prepared for called TAP, maybe look into that too, Look into that too, it really gets you ready for a degree. The histroy guys who teach on TAP are amazing.

You could join a historical society, or take short night course in histroy somewhere, research the hell out of the course, the tcd website is really good, how many modules in the first year, 2nd, 3rd 4th. contact hours, lectures a week, don't just read the book for research, maybe look up who is teach history, one of the lecturers is on newstalk every sunday night, listen to it. I did interviews for a different course last year and I wasn't prepared at all. But I got on a foundation course in TCD which I was really prepared for called TAP, maybe look into that too, Look into that too, it really gets you ready for a degree. The histroy guys who teach on TAP are amazing.

Thanks alot for the advice. Will defo do all the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Hey guys, sorry for dragging up this threat, but I really need advice.

I already made a thread, but got no replies.

First of hat's off to the OP of the thread, seems like she put a lot of time into it, and this is going to be my bible for the next few weeks. All the tip are amazing.

I'm currently doing a level 6 in Community Development. The course was mainly thrown together as its the first year that the college has done this course, so the progression is kinda a ? at the moment. The guidence consulor came into the class the other day and really through people off.

The course I really WANT is the TMS in TCD. I would love to History and Social Science.

I've noticed in the thread that your experience ect is a biggy in the apllication process.

I'm getting nervous now, as I haven't a clue if I'm going down a dead end. I haven't really done anything with History other than the LC.

Was wondering if anyone has any advice about the interview (if I get one), will it go against me that I only have a LC in history and currently doing a Level 6 in Community Development?

Sorry if the post seems all over the place, just really nervous if Im going down the wrong path :(
    Not having a clue is something of a requirement sometimes. What worked for me in two ways was asking to sit in on lectures. I was admitted to two (no lab work due to insurance) and it both helped me decide on the course and put me in good standing at the interview. Shows a mature approach by just asking them. Worth a try.

Reader1937 wrote: »
    Not having a clue is something of a requirement sometimes. What worked for me in two ways was asking to sit in on lectures. I was admitted to two (no lab work due to insurance) and it both helped me decide on the course and put me in good standing at the interview. Shows a mature approach by just asking them. Worth a try.

Really good idea. Also if TCD is where you want to go contact their Access office for advice. Clodagh Byrne is the Mature Students officer http://www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/ I've found her to be very helpful with info and support for people applying to Trinity.

You can prove your interest in a subject in different ways. Sure, a leaving cert is a good idea but people can be admitted without having studied the subject. You need to demonstrate your interest and you can do that by showing how much you have read on historical topics, do you have hobbies that relate to history, e.g. are you a regular visitor to historical places, are you a member of local history societies, or a participant in historical re-enactment groups etc. If so what do you get out of these things?

You also need to demonstrate the academic capacity for the subject. Are you fond of reading? of research? can you construct a good argument? what are your research and analysis skills like?

Lots of factors go into deciding who gets a place but if you speak to the college you will get a better sense of what you need to include in your application so definitely give the MS office a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 collegestudent

Anyone on here applying to law firms as a mature student for training contracts? Does anyone think that they are prejudice against you for being a mature student..... I am in the late 20's/early 30's bracket... equal opportunity and all that?? really??? Almost considering going back to do my leaving cert to be on the same page academically as the LC graduates. Though my degree grades are better than many that are LC graduates.... should a LC be even relevant to practice?anyone have any advice or similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brobro

Really finding this thread helpful but I have some questions if anyone could help me :)

So I'm 24 but currently in Australia and I will return home in march after two years and hoping to do a dental nursing course. Location is not a factor as I have no responsibilities like children etc. But will be being away affect my chances of getting a grant as a mature student ?I have never been on the dole or received a grant before!but would not have rent or utility bills from previous year.. finding it really hard to get information because of distance and time difference!

I think I also have enough cao points for this course in one college so could I apply for this course through cao but not as mature student ?!

Has anyone been in this situation of being away while trying to apply?please help me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 collegestudent

brobro wrote: »
    Really finding this thread helpful but I have some questions if anyone could help me :)

So I'm 24 but currently in Australia and I will return home in march after two years and hoping to do a dental nursing course. Location is not a factor as I have no responsibilities like children etc. But will be being away affect my chances of getting a grant as a mature student ?I have never been on the dole or received a grant before!but would not have rent or utility bills from previous year.. finding it really hard to get information because of distance and time difference!

I think I also have enough cao points for this course in one college so could I apply for this course through cao but not as mature student ?!

Has anyone been in this situation of being away while trying to apply?please help me :)

Hey just saw your post on here. I'm in final year now of being à mature student. I've been on the back to education allowance for my full degree. Because you have been in oz for 2 years it's likely you won't get any grant as it is based on the tax year previous to that of entry. Now if you go as a mature student but dependent on your parents you might have a chance... But the best thing you could do for yourself is come back from oz asap and sign on. If you are going for 3rd level education you have to be on a social welfare payment for 9 months. If you are going for 2nd level which would be like a fetac course you only need 3 months. If you get the btea which is worth 160 euro to you per week you can also apply for the grant provided you meet the criteria to pay your actual fees. You can't get the maintenance of the grant and the btea anymore together. Also if you go on job seekers allowance (not working at all) you will get an additional 20 euro a week from Oct to April for fuel allowance, you wont get it If you were on the job seekers benefit.. which is what happened me .. which is working 2-3 days à week. Also if you get à sound landlord or you get à place to rent for 250 a month for a single person sharing you can get rent allowance too... This amount is based on the cork city area so you need to check your area as to what the cut off points are. In all honesty you would be better off to come home now or else in 2014 and work part time on the jsb or sign on completely to get these benefits. If you go under the cao I'm not sure if u can get the btea but you may do as I think it's based on your age rather than how you entered the course. The rent allowance is about 28 euro a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 julie41

This is a fantastic thread thanks so much already to all of yous many questions have already been answered :) I have a few more though and hope someone can help me out.

I am apparently not a mature student but still left school (in Germany) 2 years ago and feel a bit insecure about the documents that I have to provide with my application since I am an EU student and applying completely on my own.. Its clear that I have to post a certified original copy of my certificate and a certified translated version, but what else (besides the personal statement) can I include? I have the opportunity to attach a letter of reference, both from a former teacher (shes writing it relating to the courses I am applying to) and from an employer that I did voluntary work for(related to some of the courses as well). Also I could ask for a reference from my current employer, though this job is far from what I want to study. Could I post a copy of my TOEFL test results as well or is that too much or not relevant?

And do I only post all this to CAO or do I need to send further copies to the HEIs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

julie41 wrote: »
    This is a fantastic thread thanks so much already to all of yous many questions have already been answered :) I have a few more though and hope someone can help me out.

I am apparently not a mature student but still left school (in Germany) 2 years ago and feel a bit insecure about the documents that I have to provide with my application since I am an EU student and applying completely on my own.. Its clear that I have to post a certified original copy of my certificate and a certified translated version, but what else (besides the personal statement) can I include? I have the opportunity to attach a letter of reference, both from a former teacher (shes writing it relating to the courses I am applying to) and from an employer that I did voluntary work for(related to some of the courses as well). Also I could ask for a reference from my current employer, though this job is far from what I want to study. Could I post a copy of my TOEFL test results as well or is that too much or not relevant?

And do I only post all this to CAO or do I need to send further copies to the HEIs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Hi Julie,

The first thing I'd do is contact the admissions dept or the International office of the universities you are applying to. They will give you specific advice as to how they will process your application and the documentation you should attach. Some colleges might ask you to apply through CAO and some might ask you to apply directly to them so its best to check first.

So I'm 24 but currently in Australia and I will return home in march after two years and hoping to do a dental nursing course. Location is not a factor as I have no responsibilities like children etc. But will be being away affect my chances of getting a grant as a mature student

Re the registration fee grant and the maintenance grant you need to have been living in Ireland for at least 3 out of the last 5 years so if you have only been away for 2 years then you might be ok depending on when you left and when you return. For free fees you ned to have been in the EU for 3 out of 5 years.

?I have never been on the dole or received a grant before!but would not have rent or utility bills from previous year.. finding it really hard to get information because of distance and time difference!

You could Email SUSI with your questions, or contact them on their boards account here: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1610

Some colleges may accept you via the standard route, some may process you as a mature student irrespective of your LC results. Also as well as meeting the points requirement for a course you need to make sure you have met the subject requirements also. Qualifax can give you those: http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15

Its also a good idea to contact the relevant college admissions office to check what application procedures might apply in your case. Some colleges might ask you to apply directly to them in addition to, or instead of, applying CAO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Hi there. Maybe someone who has already applied for College on Mature grounds for can help me out with a few questions? Thanks in advance!:)....

Do I really need to include a copy of my Junior Cert results? (I'm sure I have lost them since)

I repeated the Leaving Cert because my score first time around was fairly poor. Should I include the first time Leaving Cert results?

I applied for a very similar course to the one I'm applying for now when I sat my leaving years ago, but missed out on it by 10 points. Should I include some kind of form from CAO proving this to demonstrate genuine previous interest in this course in the past?

What kind of reference is needed for the work reference? I can possibly get a written one posted from my previous employer on official company letterhead paper signed (and maybe stamped?).... but should I ask them to photocopy that one a few times before posting and stamp/sign those copies and send them on with the official one also?

Thanks again for reading! Would appreciate any tips:)

Thanks Larianne. Your advice was very helpful for both my girlfriends and my own mature student application.

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Thanks Larianne. Your advice was very helpful for both my girlfriends and my own mature student application.

How many girlfriends have you got? Or did you mean girlfriend's ? Sorry had too. Thought it was funny, I read and pictured a pimp with 6 girlfriends or someone into poly relationships.

One girlfriend. Feels like two sometimes.

Hey sorry for dragging the thread up but was just looking for some advice.

I was unsuccessfully for my course in Trinity, and I've heard here that people do email the admission people? I was just wondering if anyone here could push me in the right direction? Really bummed and want to ask them where I was weak and were I can improve in my next application.

Any help would be really really great and I high appreciate it.

I tried out for psychology last year in Trinity, I passed the exam bit and got an interview, I would maybe try emailing the head of the department you applied to and ask for feed back. You can look up their email and departments etc.

I tried out for psychology last year in Trinity, I passed the exam bit and got an interview, I would maybe try emailing the head of the department you applied to and ask for feed back. You can look up their email and departments etc.

Thanks very much for the info, I think I emailed the right person, so just have to wait on the reply now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Humbird

Hi HistoryMania,
    If you email Clodagh Byrne in Admissions (for mature students) she can get the feedback from the department for you, it may take a few weeks but you are entitled to get feedback under the freedom of information act. It will be helpful for y ou to have, most especially if you want to re-apply for next year and you can then take steps in the meantime to improve your application.
    Humbird

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

Are you called for an interview if you're doing part time evening classes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 adamdunne01

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding the Mature Entry Process to Medicine. For those who did not have or do Chemistry did you go back and repeat it within a year in your own time and if so how did you find it?

Adam

Advertisement