Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnancy and dole

Options
  • 09-09-2009 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

My friend just found out she's pregnant.She's pretty freaked out seen as she's not in the ideal situation and keeps asking me advice but I haven't a clue what to tell her so can anyone help?
    Her situation is this,she's on jobseekers benefit but not recieving any other payments.The guy can't help her out as he doesn't have the money and she lives with her best mate,also a guy.....She's asking me
    1.Should she tell social welfare she doesn't even know the father?Then would they come out and hassle her mate that she lives with (been sharing accom for something like 4 years!!)
    2.What happens when her jobseekers benefit runs out?Will she be able to get jobseekers Assistance

She's not a bum,she did actually hurt her back last year and lost her job after being on illness benefit for 3 months,noone seems to want to hire her.I feel sorry for her and she's my mate so can I get some advice to go back and give her??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

She's not a bum,she did actually hurt her back last year and lost her job after being on illness benefit for 3 months,noone seems to want to hire her.I feel sorry for her and she's my mate so can I get some advice to go back and give her??

Nothing that isnt past tense, like you should have used protection, which I assume is not all that helpful. Unless youre looking for a guide on how to take the Irish taxpayer for the max amount?

Oh wait, Im the Irish taxpayer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 a little lost

I'm an Irish tax payer too and if she was just milking the system i'd give her an earful but hey,accidents happen.
    She was told not to go back to the type of work she was doing (by several doctors) and she has no experience in anything else,so she has done 2 courses this year and FAS have told her she has to pay if she wants another one.Noone will hire (and I have also been trying to find her work) anyone without experience and she can't get any experience if noone will hire her?!?!
    She has suggested just going back to her old type of work but I think it's an awful idea as she'll just work for 4 months,destroy her back and be back on illness benefit,possibly for much longer and now she's preggers it isn't helping the situation.
    Think about it,it's not ideal and it wasn't deliberate,everyone needs to have a little fun every now and then and accidents do happen.She's a mate and she's not an idiot,she's just caught in a vicious circle at the moment and I want to help her :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

hey get her to ring up citizens info anon and they'l advise her. why isnt she pressin the father to give her some money though? i know there's too sides to the coin but she didn't do it on her own!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

:eek::eek:
    My friend just found out she's pregnant.She's pretty freaked out seen as she's not in the ideal situation and keeps asking me advice but I haven't a clue what to tell her so can anyone help?
    Her situation is this,she's on jobseekers benefit but not recieving any other payments.The guy can't help her out as he doesn't have the money and she lives with her best mate,also a guy.....She's asking me
    1.Should she tell social welfare she doesn't even know the father?Then would they come out and hassle her mate that she lives with (been sharing accom for something like 4 years!!)
    2.What happens when her jobseekers benefit runs out?Will she be able to get jobseekers Assistance

• Advertisement
Advertisement