Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown predicts Lotto

Options
  • 09-09-2009 11:38am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one going to watch this? Anyone have any idea what the illusion will entail?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'll be tuning in, he's always impressive but I can't see this as being anything but fail - it's on at 10.35 on 4, that's kinda late what time is the english lotto draw at

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

The draw starts at 10.35 as well but they ****e on for a few minutes beforehand.

I'm unsure as to what he is actually doing to be honest, predicting the lotto is very easy but you can't show the prediction til after the event happens.

Whatever happens, it will not 'fail'. It could well be a cover for a different effect or it could be something like 'The System' which was great.

All in all it should be worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

MooseJam wrote: »
    I'll be tuning in, he's always impressive but I can't see this as being anything but fail - it's on at 10.35 on 4, that's kinda late what time is the english lotto draw at.
    ??? wrote: »
    The draw starts at 10.35 as well but they ****e on for a few minutes beforehand.

I'm unsure as to what he is actually doing to be honest, predicting the lotto is very easy but you can't show the prediction til after the event happens.

All in all it should be worth watching.

Ok....so he's on at 10.35..... the draw starts at 10.35 .... not sure what he's doing ........ is he just calling out the numbers tonight :P

in fairness - its great to predict the numbers - minutes/seconds before they come up (after you cant get any more tickets)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

Well he got em right anyway!

Made for good watching!

An eloborate stunt indeed.........intriguing none the less!
    Will be good to see the programme Friday night bout it.

Did he actually do the lotto or was he just predicting for the fun of it??.....sickner if he didnt...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

he did it. i thought he was going to tell us the numbers for the next draw so we could do a ticket so really was kind of pointless. who's going to watch friday night to see him explain it? bet he'll say it was some stupid illusion. i want to win the lotto!!!

:D

ps: i wonder if he did a ticket himself? why wouldn't he ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think he said that he wouldn't buy a ticket because if anybody else really won, they'd only get half the money. Same with telling us next weeks numbers, if everyone entered, they'd only get a small fraction of the jackpot. He wasn't allowed to interfere with the actual process of 'random selection of numbers - people winning' as part of his agreement with the Lotto people

so wait, did he say the numbers before the draw and after you can buy tickets?

otherwise, i'm completely indifferent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

always impressive will be watching on friday his show on now is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Na0

Put it this way a PREdiction would have been viable, anything could have been going on to put those numbers on the balls as they were drawn..

Like think about it this way why did derren not get someone from his family that no one could have known that was related to him or paid someone random infact to do a ticket with his '5 numbers' on it then it would have been timestamped and sealed with 'authenticity'?

i didnt see any bookies taking odds on him getting them right and do they take bets on tv programs xfactor anyone? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lol at people arguing that its fake. of course its fake, its called an illusion. its guessing the method is the entertaining part, hence giving us two days to speculate.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    lol at people arguing that its fake. of course its fake, its called an illusion. its guessing the method is the entertaining part, hence giving us two days to speculate.

ive only heard about this since monday and any real 'illusionist' would have turned each ball as it was called (thus making the illusion atleast xxx times better) presuming derren has ears and a remote control after the fuss about them only being able to broadcast so many mins of bbc, im not saying its not fake because it blatantly is,

If predicting random numbers and spouting random ****e about people only getting half the money then the rain man would have been skull******* bill gates as steve jobs poured him a martini...

with the money he could have made, oh not forgetting 'according to derren brown' conman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Na0 wrote: »
    ive only heard about this since monday and any real 'illusionist' would have turned each ball as it was called presuming derren has ears and a remote control after the fuss about them only being able to broadcast so many mins of bbc, im not saying its not fake because it blatantly is,

If predicting random numbers and spouting random ****e about people only getting half the money then the rain man would have been skull******* bill gates as steve jobs poured him a martini...

with the money he could have made, oh not forgetting 'according to derren brown' conman
    but he's admitting its an illusion, why are you so stressed about him doing it? and no illusionist could possibly turn each ball as it was announced live, unless he's got one hell of a steady thumbwriter.

im not stressed lol, i didnt even know he was calling it an illusion until u told me so i dont know why im posting about him if thats the case :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Na0 wrote: »
    im not stressed lol, i didnt even know he was calling it an illusion until u told me so i dont know why im posting about him if thats the case :P

agree

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'll be expecting a full explanation here by close of business tomorrow. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Might as well have a stab at this...

Check out around the 5.10 mark on this video, the camera goes completely still against the background for about 2 seconds (concentrate on the left of the video where the balls are) while during the rest of the time it's swaying very slightly.

Anybody else see this and make anything of it? I was hoping it wouldn't be just camera trickery and actually be something really clever worth revealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

23 35 11 28 39 02 (15)?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

I think it had somet to do with that board he was writing on ...........or , that little stand that the balls were on was on fact a little printer and as the numbers were printed it rotates the balls up to their position, actually, that wouldnt be hard at all to do.................wheres my black suit...........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

The numbers could not have been printed on the balls as they were called out because they were in chronological order. That gave him about 10 seconds from the last ball called to revealing what numbers he had. I think we can rule out a printer. It's confusing me. He must really have found a way to predict them!!! How can it possibly be an illusion ?? Any logical suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

IMC042 wrote: »
    The numbers could not have been printed on the balls as they were called out because they were in chronological order. That gave him about 10 seconds from the last ball called to revealing what numbers he had. I think we can rule out a printer.

im not saying for certain that is what he did but I do think that it is enough time...........tis plenty, very fast printer :)

its unlikely maybe........but certainly possible, its also as logical as anything, like saying there was someone standing there putting on the numbers on a cut half of the screen, invisible to us.........could have been a green screen or whatever they call it......again i dont know, but anything is possible, im sure he had a cool method.........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he said t was the product of a years work , so it would be very lame if its just some electronic trick.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Looks like it definately a split screen camera trick. If you keep your eye on the left most ball (right most once he rotates the stand) you will notice that the ball isn't touching the bottom of the placeholder - before the trick begins it is. So whoever replaced the balls didn't push it down far enough. It looks like Derren noticed this and that's why it touches the balls afterward to replace it.

From The Times

Last night he claimed that an earlier meeting with Camelot, the lottery organiser, had established that the BBC had exclusive rights to announce the winning numbers first. This meant he could not show us the numbers on his ping-pong balls before the draw was made. But that, surely, was nonsense. It cannot be illegal to announce your prediction. He just didn’t want us to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

banchang wrote: »
    From The Times

Last night he claimed that an earlier meeting with Camelot, the lottery organiser, had established that the BBC had exclusive rights to announce the winning numbers first. This meant he could not show us the numbers on his ping-pong balls before the draw was made. But that, surely, was nonsense. It cannot be illegal to announce your prediction. He just didn’t want us to see them.

I think that had he revealed them beforehand, this could have damaged the integrity of Camelot. Secondly, he can not really predict the future, it is just a trick. It is unlikely that he knew what the numbers were before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'd say it was very simply done.

He was given the numbers, before the 'live' lotto broadcast, showed the draw.

There is always going to be a little delay in between the recording of the 'live' broadcast, and it actually going out on air.

An ear-piece with someone telling him the numbers as they are drawn is all it would have taken.

also in the Times

Easily done by a split-screen effect, after giving the viewer the illusion that a hand-held shaky camera is being used (it isn't, it's on a tripod - look at left-hand side of screen when Derren says "28" - there is a sudden freeze for a couple of seconds). Between Derren saying "23" & "28", the left-hand ball moves upwards! (clearly the moment of mixing from split-screen to full-screen again, after correct-numbered balls have been placed). At the end when camera zooms in to Derren behind the balls, the camera is now magically rock-steady, even though it is a zoom shot so should be less steady! (they forgot to add the post-production-shake in here, oops!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say it was very simply done.

He was given the numbers, before the 'live' lotto broadcast, showed the draw.

There is always going to be a little delay in between the recording of the 'live' broadcast, and it actually going out on air.

An ear-piece with someone telling him the numbers as they are drawn is all it would have taken.
    Or even if they could somehow put a TV right in front of him so he could see the numbers being drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

MOD EDIT: Personal insults about any performer are not permitted here, this thread is for discussing the illusion, not ranting and raving about the person. Warning issued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

It took a full year of his life - and in around 5:13 of the broadcast, he turns the live tv off, the motion gets a little funny (slower and faster), he stares at a spot on the ground and stands perfectly still there, while a clicking noise is heard as he walks on.

My bet - he pre-recorded not all, but millions of combinations over the past year. Probably gave himself a 1/3 - 1/2 chance of winning.

And I hope it's not split screen camera trickery - that'd be such an insult to his fans.

Advertisement