Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown predicts Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tellox wrote: »
    It took a full year of his life - and in around 5:13 of the broadcast, he turns the live tv off, the motion gets a little funny (slower and faster), he stares at a spot on the ground and stands perfectly still there, while a clicking noise is heard as he walks on.

My bet - he pre-recorded not all, but millions of combinations over the past year. Probably gave himself a 1/3 - 1/2 chance of winning.

And I hope it's not split screen camera trickery - that'd be such an insult to his fans.

good idea, he did that before with a coin toss trick he did, and horse bet so would fit in with his style of tricks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The ball were definately tampered with so it looks like a split screen effect.

ehmzvp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

if its split screen, then its a load of bollix. Any fool can do a split screen camera trickery "illusion".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We thought about the coin trick as well but it seems like it would take FOREVER to get the combo you wanted out of the lotto balls, I really hope it's something clever and not a split screen thing, he had us stumped anyway, can't wait for the reveal tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

a blog has been set-up for possible explanations:

http://derrenbrownlotteryprediction.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Might as well have a stab at this...

Check out around the 5.10 mark on this video, the camera goes completely still against the background for about 2 seconds (concentrate on the left of the video where the balls are) while during the rest of the time it's swaying very slightly.

Anybody else see this and make anything of it? I was hoping it wouldn't be just camera trickery and actually be something really clever worth revealing.

This is interesting actually I wonder if that's something to do with the trick!! Derren brown is brill, bf just finished his book and said its awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I've followed Derren Brown's work from the start, right back when he was a fantastic card magician and only dabbled in tricks of the mind. I believe all the shaky camera effects and the fact that the camera appeared still for a crucial second or two are just examples of misdirection, gently directing you down the wrong path of discovery. And it seems to be working as that's the explanation most people seem to have. I can't wait to see how he did the trick tomorrow. However as has been done with a few of his previous explanations I predict that he will give a false explanation for the trick to protect the real one.

To my mind the only actual method he has ever revealed has been the Chess Method where he played 8 simultaneous games of chess against 8 grand masters, drawing some games and actually winning a few of them.

I will be a bit disappointed if the method turns out to be purely camera tricks but I must give it to the man, this is one of the best publicity stunts in recent times. Far better than David Blaine sitting in a bloody box!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Im fairly certain ive it worked out now. its not a split screen thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah I mean, if as a previous poster claimed that Brown said this took a year to perfect, surely it could not be down to something as straight forward as a split screen?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I've followed Derren since "the devils picture book" days, I really hope its a clever one ahead type situation (how ,i dont know).I keep being reminded of an effect I saw once performed by Keith Barry with a prediction in a balloon , however that method just wouldn't work here.

Bear in mind that all predictions are based on either altering the prediction after the fact or influencing the event being predicted.
    Looking forward to seeing the explanation , however with Andy Nyman on board, my guess is its something very very cheeky.
    One of the best dvds i've bought in years is "get Nyman" it is truly amazing and very cheeky at the same time.

I really , really hope it isnt split screen.

• Advertisement

i'll put money on it not being split screen with someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

What rubbish! His tricks and programs are getting worse. I was once a big fan but I wudnt be bothered watchin him anymore. My guess would be he used as split screen. I hope he doesnt try and give some bull method of how he influenced the results. Im just not buying it.

I would be more impressed if I heard nothing about this stunt but instead read in the newspaper the next morning that Derren Brown won the lotto last nite and is now sitting on a beach in the bahamas. Now that would get me wondering!

There was no reason why he coulnt have shown his prediction before the draw. Instead he gives us rubbish about how its illegal. You can't buy lottery tickets 5 mins before a draw anyway!

Also Derren Brown is known for doing stuff in front of a live audience. There was no reason why he couldn't have at least done that! A cheap publicity stunt!

Regardless if a split screen was used or not, there is no way in hell that Derren Brown would come on the TV on Friday night and explain in one line that his biggest public stunt was done using a split screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What rubbish! His tricks and programs are getting worse. I was once a big fan but I wudnt be bothered watchin him anymore. My guess would be he used as split screen. I hope he doesnt try and give some bull method of how he influenced the results. Im just not buying it.

I would be more impressed if I heard nothing about this stunt but instead read in the newspaper the next morning that Derren Brown won the lotto last nite and is now sitting on a beach in the bahamas. Now that would get me wondering!

There was no reason why he coulnt have shown his prediction before the draw. Instead he gives us rubbish about how its illegal. You can't buy lottery tickets 5 mins before a draw anyway!

Also Derren Brown is known for doing stuff in front of a live audience. There was no reason why he couldn't have at least done that! A cheap publicity stunt!
    Regardless if a split screen was used or not, there is no way in hell that Derren Brown would come on the TV on Friday night and explain in one line that his biggest public stunt was done using a split screen!

So no explanation of the trick will satisfy you? How could he show the numbers before hand? If he could do that he would need toactually predict the numbers. Which is impossible.

Did he not say he was going to predict the lotto??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Did he not say he was going to predict the lotto??

Yes but he's an illusionist. His job is to make it look like he did and confuse you in how he did. Surely you didn't expect him to actually predict it? There is no way to predict the lotto unless your psychic and no one is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

zuroph wrote: »
    i'll put money on it not being split screen with someone...
    I'm a firm believer in the engineering term KISS (Keep it simple stupid) that's why most of the more complicated solutions don't fly with me but the split screen theory is just to obvious to make it onto telle.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in the engineering term KISS (Keep it simple stupid) that's why most of the more complicated solutions don't fly with me but the split screen theory is just to obvious to make it onto telle.
    Which is why i think its a perspective trick

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Which is why i think its a perspective trick
    Probably, and given the way he walked in from the side showing that their where no mirrors (that we could see) and giving a fairly wide view of the place it would be impressive and I'm looking forward to seeing how he pulled it off.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Probably, and given the way he walked in from the side showing that their where no mirrors (that we could see) and giving a fairly wide view of the place it would be impressive and I'm looking forward to seeing how he pulled it off.
    i think the backdrop is much much closer than it appears, and the reflections on the floor are painted/printed on also. the whole backdrop is flat and close. if you watch, he steps in very carefully behind the balls at the end, like he hasnt much space behind the stand to move. If he has to fill a show on how he did it, it could be a fly on the wall type documentary on the progress of setting up for the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Probably just augmented reality. There's a marker on each ball, and an augmented reality system tracks the position and orientation of each ball in real time and superimposes a computer generated number onto each one. (at the right angle of course)

This kind of stuff is very easy to do in real-time these days. There's even similar stuff for iPhones and webcams.

There's been mentions of augmented reality on Derrens Technology blog, so that's my guess. The fact that he says he'll show how 'you can do it too' backs this up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think he said that he wouldn't buy a ticket because if anybody else really won, they'd only get half the money.
    banchang wrote: »
    Last night he claimed that an earlier meeting with Camelot, the lottery organiser, had established that the BBC had exclusive rights to announce the winning numbers first. This meant he could not show us the numbers on his ping-pong balls before the draw was made. But that, surely, was nonsense. It cannot be illegal to announce your prediction. He just didn’t want us to see them.
    but he's admitting its an illusion, why are you so stressed about him doing it?
    I was more interested in hearing his plausible reasons for not doing the lottery and reasons not to show the balls beforehand, or have them hidden in a plausible way. I thought his excuse was laughably pathetic, if it really took him a year to set up the technical side he could at least have spent a few more minutes coming up with better excuses!

He could have given the money to charity or the other winners. But the "announcing" bit is ridiculous
    spartan1 wrote: »
    I think it had somet to do with that board he was writing on:
    Yes, it was quite large and probably had some wireless device, it did seem quite odd how he used it.

If theres no guy from Stokes Kennedy Crowley present I ain't impressed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Also did anybody else notice subliminal flashing writing on the screen, I think it was during an ad for the friday night show. I was watching my PC and caught it out of the corner of my eye on the TV, it was white writing, looked like a single word 4-5 letters in the upper right corner on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

It's impossible to predict the lottery numbers so that's why he didn't do the lottery or show the balls before hand.

But if you can't see how he arranged the correct numbers on the balls after the draw you must assume that he had them there before the draw which is, in effect, a prediction.

Of course the balls were manipulated once the draw had been made. I just can't see how. I also believe that he won't reveal the true secret as every magician I've spoken too is flummoxed by how he did it. So the secret is either far too valuable to give away to the general public, or so deceptively simple that everyone should know how he did it in the first place and we'll kick ourselves for not thinking of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

rubadub wrote: »
    Also did anybody else notice subliminal flashing writing on the screen, I think it was during an ad for the friday night show. I was watching my PC and caught it out of the corner of my eye on the TV, it was white writing, looked like a single word 4-5 letters in the upper right corner on the TV.

Well on the friday night show Forget was flashing here and there, it was one of his tricks to get everyone to forget the show after leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Was anyone watching his show last night?
    Him and a group of 24 people actually did predict the lotto numbers. Amazing really :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I think he was just taking the piss out of those ppl , he didnt reveal how he did it

Anyone buy the explanation?
    After watchin the show, Im even more confident that a split screen was used. Very disappointing!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Explanation was a bit off. If you took it at complete face value adding 24 persons predictions for each ball and then dividing by 24 will tend towards the middle numbers as they average each other out. To get 2 for ball number 1 as an average would require everyone to have predicted a very low number. Anyone predicting a number above 25 would make it impossible to average out to 2.

That said in previous shows he has fully explained some of his methods - most notably the system for the horse racing so I'm not sure why he would trot out something so weak. Might be more to it than meets the eye at the moment. Maybe part of something bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I felt a bit dumb on Friday night as I couldn't get his reasoning so you can imagine my relief reading that mathematicians have called Brown's explanation "nonsense". :pac:

Advertisement