Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to access through internal wall in attic to check for insullation

Options
  • 09-09-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My attic is insullated (house 4 years old)but the house gets very cold. We got the walls pumped but it only helps a bit. The attic area above the bedroom is bricked off from the rest of the attic so I can't look in and check what the insullation there is like. There is a very, very small hole (could fit a cable through) above the brick.

I want somehow to check the area above the bedroom- can anyone tell me what's the best way to do this-
    simple try to chip away at the brick myself and stick a camera through
    could I get a professional to stick a thin camera or something though the existing hole to check? Who would do this?

Any other points that would help would be appreicated.
    I contacted the builders but he said it's fine (don't trut him).
    I'm thinking of putting in a double rad but that won't stop the heat escaping if the attic isn't properly insullated.
    thanks,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I'm having trouble understanding why there is a brick wall in your attic. Where's your water tank and all the pipework? Every house I have ever lived in had an open attic that could be insulated. Where does the brick wall go to? Does it support the roof in any way? Maybe if you could post a sketch someone might have an idea what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What is the brick wall sitting on? Was the house extended into the property next door?
    Can you provide a photo even?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I can take a photo and stick it up early next week.
    The house is a two storey, the main bedroom and downstairs room aren't extensions but are kind of like a seperate part joined on (see sketch below). (It's a 4 bed house, some in the estate are 3 bed, they don't have the 'joint on' section).
    So the main roof is lower above the main bedroom. The brickwork on that side is the same as on the other side/neighbours side(semi detacthed).
    here's a pic, (not our house but same type)
    3906527156_5230c4bd8d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

if you want to get into the small section at the side,easiest way would be to cut hole in the ceiling , and make new access hatch.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is the bricked off part above the right hand side of the house? My own house is similar(ish) but without the second story on the garage conversion. To get to my second attic there is a hatch in the garage conversion ceiling. If yours doesn't have that, may be no harm to get one put in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement