Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Engineering Courses

• 09-09-2009 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing a sound engineering course / media course.

I dont know much about software etc and wonder which courses are the best to do?

Are there better ways to learn than doing one of the college courses?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

codology wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing a sound engineering course / media course.

I dont know much about software etc and wonder which courses are the best to do?

Are there better ways to learn than doing one of the college courses?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Ken

Yeah, trial and error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 codology

Yeah thanks Marsbars, i know trial and error applies to most things in life, but i cant afford to fork out for the wrong course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

what exaclty do you hope to achieve?

there are quite a few courses out there at the moment covering differant angles such as:

sound engineering, live engineering, multimedia, post-production, music for gaming etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

What kind of music are you interested in? That may affect your decision regarding software etc. And also what exactly would you like to get out of the course. A job? Or just to get into making your own music?

Also if you had a budget in mind it might help. Courses run from under €400 for a start up introduction thing to over €21,000 for a 3 year degree.

codology wrote: »
    Yeah thanks Marsbars, i know trial and error applies to most things in life, but i cant afford to fork out for the wrong course.

No, no, no. I meant buy the equipment and figure it out. Wish I did it that way...At least I wouldn't be spending €4000 on accommodation and €1500 on registration fees (this is my second year so that's almost €10,000 already). Should have used the money to build a decent shed, bought some equipment and learn the old fashioned way.

• Advertisement

The old fashioned way was to get a job in a studio making tea and move on from there. NOT spending 10 grand on computers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

studiorat wrote: »
    The old fashioned way was to get a job in a studio making tea and move on from there. NOT spending 10 grand on computers...

it's not ten g's it's more like 30 g's. Large studios can sort their own 'tea' out anyway, I wouldn't bank on that idea. Best bet is to rob a bank.

Jeez, I don't mean going back to the stone ages like!:p

I'm just saying that 10 grand is what you'd spend easily two years in college. I didn't say spend 10 grand on computers anywhere...

mars bar wrote: »
    Jeez, I don't mean going back to the stone ages like!:p

I'm just saying that 10 grand is what you'd spend easily two years in college. I didn't say spend 10 grand on computers anywhere...

No you said you wished you spend the 10,000 on a shed. Where did you get this money anyway?

No you said you wished you spend the 10,000 on a shed. Where did you get this money anyway?

My parents have been working hard and putting money in my account since I was 5 and I worked to put money in it too. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Why?
    Because he's green with envy :D

madtheory wrote: »
    Because he's green with envy :D

Ah perhaps!

yus! I too am saving for a 10 grand shed.

to live in...

No, no, no. I meant buy the equipment and figure it out. Wish I did it that way...At least I wouldn't be spending €4000 on accommodation and €1500 on registration fees (this is my second year so that's almost €10,000 already). Should have used the money to build a decent shed, bought some equipment and learn the old fashioned way.

and equipment! Are you purposely trying to discard that part so you have some type of argument against me?

That's just how I feel as someone who is doing a sound engineering course.

Take what you will, I'm bowing out of this ridiculous argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Best thing to do is try an evening course to see if it suits you. Im starting an evening course in Cork in a few weeks, its 44 hours and certified and only €400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Hi,
    Firstly like others have said I'd ask local studios for work experience. - Cost nothing !! Also you should always try to get some time on pro tools purely because most of the world top end studios use that software .Not dismissing other software but some experience on PT would be very useful.

Also you could ask a band ready to record could you sit in on their sessions . It give you an idea of patience needed and how some session can go easy or end up as a long nightmare and if this is cut out for you before you cash out big bucks.
    -Declan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Just be aware that knowing how to use Pro Tools does not make you an engineer. You need to have good ears, and be a nice person, have patience, and be good at making sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Fstudios

An Engineer needs to be:

1. Patient
    2. Technically minded
    3. Understand Musicians
    4. Have a good set of ears
    5. Understand music
    6. Have a grasp of performance psychology
    7. Love music unconditionally
    8. Not be too bothered about money
    9. Be very committed
    10. Read everything you can get your hands on

If you have that lot in spades you probably don't need a college...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I failed at the first one ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Fstudios

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I failed at the first one ...

So Have I..... still going strong though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

There should be a sticky in one of the music production areas for courses being run on anything got to do with music production.

Would be a valuable tool for the noobs

Advertisement