Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to book a restaurant in Kilkenny on a Friday night?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

The missus and I are heading to Kilkenny for the weekend, and will arrive on Friday night at about 8pm/9pm or so, and will be hungry, probably for some fairly casual food (we may dine more formally on Sat night).

Should we try to choose and book a restaurant in advance (we have a few shortlisted, based on MenuPages and TripAdvisor)? Are all the decent places likely to be full?

Or better to just wing it on the night, and head into town and try some of the places that are on our "shortlist" and see which look nice and have room for us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Rinacinnis and Fleva are nice and both are central but i'd book to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Ddad wrote: »
    Rinacinnis and Fleva are nice and both are central but i'd book to be sure

I'd see both of those as more formal dining rather then casual....both are really nice though. I'd try somewhere like Italian connection for less formal and try Fleva for saturday. Def worth booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Fleva is simply divine!! I have never had a bad meal there, but do book before hand! enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

OP, where in Kilkenny are you staying...so we can suggest somewhere good that's close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

We're in the Lyrath Estate, so will drive into town after checking in (or if we're running late, eat first, then head to the hotel).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Italian connection 056 7764225

But you need to book a table for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

If you like Asian food, Yindees in Lyrath is very nice http://www.lyrath.com/restaurant-bars/yindees/

La Rivista on Parliment St is good too - http://www.larivista.ie/

Thanks for all the tips. I'll consult with the missus, and book something for Fri night.

Any opinions on Ripley's Steak House, it's got good reviews on menupages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

I was just about to recommend Ripleys mmm, too late for early bird but the food is delish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I had a steak in O'Reilly's (I think that's what it's called) up beside the Hibernian last Friday. I thought it was much better than Ripley's tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If I was with a stag or hen party I think Ripley's was alright but not for anything else. Don't understand why so many people like it...I've only ever had average to bad food there and there are so many nicer places to eat. Lautrec's is right round the corner and a million times better [but also pricier] Cafe Sol also do a great lunch menu and a fab evening menu. Zuni is fab as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

ztoical wrote: »
    If I was with a stag or hen party I think Ripley's was alright but not for anything else. Don't understand why so many people like it...I've only ever had average to bad food there and there are so many nicer places to eat.

Agree entirely.

La Rivista would get a vote from me too.

Thanks for all the tips, folks!
    Have a good weekend, and make the most of the weather... we will!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Fleva upstairs beside the town hall rocks

Advertisement