Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide in Offaly

• 09-09-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Offaly has Ireland's highest suicide rate in Ireland, according to a report from the Institute of Public Health in Ireland. Any suggestions on why this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

i guess you would have to grind through statistics to find even a clue why.
    im sure its not just for no reason.i personally feel there is a reason for everything wether we know it or not.

you would have to compare age groups
    social backgrounds
    local acvtivites,diet,and any links between all or most cases etc etc
    just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

somebody has to top the poll, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Darby

I suppose you’re right. I just wondered if it might be something got to do with poor psychological health treatments or physical surroundings and psychological attitudes in the area.

Maybe it’s just a coincidence. Hopefully, the recent media attention on depression and suicide will help those suffering receive help

maybe offaly might have tight nit communities and it might act as a knock on affect when it happens...maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Darby

That’s a good point. I know a few families where depression and suicide has affected them more than once. Some just find it difficult to cope with tragedies. Is psychological illness hereditary?

• Advertisement

i would say it can run in the family wether thats a medical thing or a psychological thing im not sure.probably a bit of both.

lots of things cause depression.
    could be something in the water of the town,
    could be in the food,
    could be someone local erm causing these effects..
    could be anything.
    if you really want to know or have a clue.you would need to get some info
    like average age.did they go to same school,same family,same community.
    church,social etc
    not easy work :(

about the hereditery question i have seen myself that if your parents are severely depressed it can increase the chances of you having issues later on.a depressed parent isnt always around alot and if they were when depressed it would imo have an effect on your developing personality.you may become alot more introverted than you would normally have turned out.
    thats just how i feel on that not fact afaik.

yes depression can be hereditary. i think alot of depression today has to do with the foods we consume(especially prosessed foods), alcohol, cigerettes and tap water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

I knew some young guys who have committed suicide in Offaly, many of them did know each other, and it probably had a knock on effect (amongst other more personal issues). I think in the last 3-4 years roughly 10 males under the age of 23 have committed suicide in the north of Offaly alone, horrible.

thats a pretty high number alright.
    i hope somebody is investigating that.it seems obvious there is someone or something in the area causing that to happen.

Advertisement