Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best soccer pub in Maynooth??

• 09-09-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi Folks, Where do you think is the best pub in Maynooth for watching matches for atmosphere?? Great to have the footie back on the telly again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

One might say if you want atmosphere you should go to a game of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

Great to have the footie back on the telly again!
    You do know the season is almost over, there is only 9 games left!
    www.loi.ie
    Hi Folks, Where do you think is the best pub in Maynooth for watching matches for atmosphere??
    But to be fair and all that, two of my house mates last year are Manchester United supporters and O'Neills is the place where all the local Man Utd fans go but they said they are a bit too much into it and they wouldnt go back there again to watch a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

The Roost was always good craic when I watched matches there. The big ones get a good enough crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    One might say if you want atmosphere you should go to a game of football.
    And if you want value for money go to a hurling match.

One of those local ones were refs get beaten up or kidnapped is it?

• Advertisement

You pay double for that kind of action.....

Seriously though, wtf?:confused: They don't play hurling in South America afaik.:pac:

Google it.

Google it.
    Didn't find anything:rolleyes: They are not regular occurances either.

There are two cases in the last couple of years of referees being kidnapped after local GAA games. I had links on another forum I use but I cant find them, they must be archived or something. One involved bundling a ref into the boot of a car post match and driving him up the Wicklow mountains were he was left to find his own way home :D Funny but scary at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

I woulda thought you'd get kicked out of the pub in maynooth for playin football in them... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Hi Folks, Where do you think is the best pub in Maynooth for watching matches for atmosphere?? Great to have the footie back on the telly again!

I've heard O'Neills is the best place, but I'm a rugby man, so I hate you guys and your preferential treatment! :D

I've heard O'Neills is the best place, but I'm a rugby man, so I hate you guys and your preferential treatment! :D

The second most "watched in a pub" sport in this country. Apologies if you actually attend games but Irish people wreck my head when it comes to their barstool attitudes. It's my understanding that the top league level of rugby in this country is almost dead now due to a lack of people attending games. It's all just a fad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The AIL? Yeah its pretty shambolic.

On the other hand, professional rugby just had its most successful year...well probably ever. Its in excellent health best its ever been, but grassroot problems are a different story. Strong in the 'traditional' centres (Limerick and Dublin), but very weak elsewhere.

As for attendence.... I attend as many Leinster matches as I can afford (which is about 5-6 a season) while I'm sometimes ashamed of my lack of attendence at AIL matches, but rugby just isn't that important to me. As an example, I chose to see Boris Berezovsky in the NCH rather that watch the ERC final live. On top of this, I just wouldn't have the time (I'm not even part of a club).

This, however, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the sport. And one thing I do enjoy most about it is watching it in the pub with my Dad (who is a Munster supporter....the joys!). Its kind of a ritual now. However, I know what you're getting at and I can cite two examples.

1. Last May's ERC semi-final in Croke Park between Leinster and Munster. With 15 mins to go, a chap walks into the bar with a brand new Leinster jersey, with the tag still on. I kid you not. It was cringe worthy, but hilarious, as he obviously didn't realise he had left it on. :)

2. Just last night, I was watching a Celtic league Munster match. We missed the first 10 minutes because locals wanted to watch a horse race (which is fair. We're locals, but they were there first). As the match progressed, me and my Dad were clearly the only ones watching, but as soon as Munster powered ahead to score a try in the second half, it was all "G'wan Munster!" from the above yokels.

Jesus I'm ranting, plus this is completely off topic. Anyways in summary, love rugby but love money and music more! :)

You do more to support them then many others who call themselves "fans". A friend of mine recently related a story to me about how he argued with a chap who's about 26 and described himself as a hardcore Leeds fan. He insisted on this sort of tag despite the fact he's never ever been to see Leeds. Including when they've come to Ireland (and Leeds have been here the last 3 summers to play Shels). When asked why he hasn't gone to these games in particular he responds with such gems as "why would I want to see them play such rubbish teams". Which is ironic considering Leeds current position in the third teir of English football. Some Irish people just have no interest in live sport. Yet insist on having these fad like "loves" of the sport from afar at regular intervals depending on the success of said team or sport. I was in Lithuania last year were basketball is the main sport. No one watches football and when the local teams are doing well or the national team are playing no one comes running out of the closet carrying a giant inflatable hammer painting in the Lithuanian national colours. Funny that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

so oneills is full of scumbags and skangers you say?? Where would you go to enjoy a liverpool game? do i need to bring a few battered sausages to throw out the windows to keep the animals at bay if they run out of booze in oneills

5Aces wrote: »
    Where would you go to enjoy a liverpool game?

Anfield :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

Anfield :confused:

i still haven't managed to come up with something equally witty:)

I've been pro local football for so long you'd need years of training ;)

Advertisement