Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Wireless

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm having trouble with mine, the proxy settings seem to be deleting themselves from the advanaced settings menu.

(nokia 5800)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

You need the proxy settings from the Daedalus building to get it working. Ithink its 'proxy.ucd.ie' and the port is 8484, but im not sure. They have a little handout for people with new laptops to configure their settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

another 5800 ucd person here
    have got internet, when I got it I used the proxy settings, youl get them on ucd it services website
    just no nimbuzz or email working, argh
    mail for exhange is syncing calender and contacts though
    youtube app working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

woop wrote: »
    another 5800 ucd person here
    have got internet, when I got it I used the proxy settings, youl get them on ucd it services website
    just no nimbuzz or email working, argh
    mail for exhange is syncing calender and contacts though
    youtube app working
    It's to do with the ports that UCD IT Services block. I'd imagine Nimbuzz won't work, similar to how I could never get Adium to work on the Mac. This has been a problem for years on UCD's network so I can't see it getting fixed anytime soon.

Thick clients (like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) can't connect to non-UCD email accounts either, but they should be able to connect to UCD Connect OK. I'm not sure if the 5800 uses Nokia Messaging or just a regular thick client though; if it's the former it might be blocked too. Webmail is a workaround.

Your best bet is to take it into Daedalus and see what they can do for you.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

just use proxy.ucd.ie, forget the proxy.pac part

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

I have a Samsung Omnia, (windows mobile 6.1), and when I connect to the internet all I can get it the UCD page...any help or info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

GWNiall wrote: »
    I have a Samsung Omnia, (windows mobile 6.1), and when I connect to the internet all I can get it the UCD page...any help or info?
    Proxy again? Configure the UCD wireless connections to use the "Work" network, and enter the proxy for that under Settings / Connections. Set the proxy to connect from "Work" -> "Internet". I don't have my phone with me right now to give exact instructions, but the key is that "Work" = use proxy, "Internet" = don't use proxy.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

wander over to the netsoc stand today or tomorrow and see if they can sort it out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

On the iPod Touch and iPhone:

Settings > Wireless > EDIT: WaveLAN Network > HTTP Proxy > Manual

Server: proxy.ucd.ie
    Port: 8484

Now, UCD etc will load fine in Safari but when you request anything else you will need to wait while it connects (Can take upwards of 2 minutes) but it works fine after that.

As regards the Nokia, I'll try with a friends when I can. I can imagine its a similar set up as above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shanejohn

Hey guys,

Thanks loads for the above I had a Nokia E51 that I could never get working and IT services didn't know what to do.

Anyway Just got an E63 working using the

Proxy.ucd.ie

Thanks

Advertisement