Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

empty and unfinished

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi

For a research project I am doing I am focusing on the midlands, could anyone tell me of any areas or estates around Westmeath,particuarly Athlone, that have a problem with empty housing/apartments or unfinished estates or housing constructions sites? Is this a problem relevant to Westmeath? Any information is appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Easy just head down to willow park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ladymuck2010

Easy just head down to willow park

Thanks for the quick reply, what would i expect to see there? are there noticeably units empty or is it unfinished?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thanks for the quick reply, what would i expect to see there? are there noticeably units empty or is it unfinished?

Thanks again

You'll find plenty of knackers there. That's why units are empty.

Project done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Thanks again

The further down you go, the more boarded up it gets!:o
    Its unreal...if i remember rightly, if you go right down the back of the estate, nearly 70-80% of the houses are boarded up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I don't think Athlone has suffered as bad as other towns in the country.
    House prices haven't fallen as much as other towns.
    It seems to have its own micro-economy.
    These are just my observations (Willow excluded, although those houses down the bank are on the banks of the coca cola river, so I am surprised they have lasted as long on the market without been sold)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ladymuck2010

Hey Thanks everyone for the information. One question is Willow park social housing or a private development? Also I have looked on property websites and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the following estates have had trouble selling their stock?

Glenatore Cossan Athlone

The Orchard Ballymahon Road Athlone

Drumaconn , Cornamaddy, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Cois Abhann Lyster St, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Baston Court Athlone Co. Westmeath

Church hills cossan Athlone

I have actually been in Athlone prior to this project and I think its a lovely town, I certainly didnt notice as a poster said a problem with empty units, however I was assigned the midlands so you cant ignore Athlone then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Hey Thanks everyone for the information. One question is Willow park social housing or a private development?

Willow used to be a fine estate, and was once full of students as AIT was right across the road. But in recent years the council have been moving in travellers and all sorts of scum. So nowadays its just a dive of a place. Someone else could give you a much better history of the place though.
    Also I have looked on property websites and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the following estates have had trouble selling their stock?

Glenatore Cossan Athlone
    The Orchard Ballymahon Road Athlone
    Drumaconn , Cornamaddy, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
    Cois Abhann Lyster St, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
    Baston Court Athlone Co. Westmeath
    Church hills cossan Athlone

I think The Orchard is finished as a development. Not sure how many houses are sold, but I expect its quiet a high percentage. The last time I was in there, there seemed to be plenty of cars outside doors.
    Drumaconn was planned as a much bigger estate than it currently is. So I guess that never reached its full plan. Only a handful of the houses were ever built.
    I can't comment on the rest of the estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Willow used to be a fine estate, and was once full of students as AIT was right across the road. But in recent years the council have been moving in travellers and all sorts of scum. So nowadays its just a dive of a place. Someone else could give you a much better history of the place though.

I don't think anyone can top that in brevity or accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I hate them ****ing pikeys !!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

The Orchard Ballymahon Road Athlone - stopped building, a large building site remains with some houses started (no walls built yet though), think all the houses that are built are occupied though

Drumaconn - there was a big sale here with huge reductions but think all current stock sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You'll find plenty of knackers there. That's why units are empty.

Project done :D

i go there now and again to try and find the missing link

I've noticed a small but significant number of one-off started in 2008 have not been completed with no signs of recent activity, sites are growing weeds.

There's one near us, started Jan this year, work stopped in May and nothing done since.

snyper wrote: »
    i go there now and again to try and find the missing link

You must have a few chains by now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Onikage wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can top that in brevity or accuracy.

Save for the fact that AIT is still across the road. It hasnt moved or anything. :D Except the nursing unit. Worth the walk though... ;)

Advertisement