Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doormats for dogs

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a suggestion for a highly absorbent doormat - have 2 German Shepards with big wet paws and with winter approaching will need something suitable. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I doubt there is such a thing as I would imagine it would get stinky in a day or two.

I have a sucky thing that I stick inside the back door and use an old hand towel for drying paws. It only takes a minute to do.

If you do come a good mat though please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

JML do a Magic Carpet. Haven't used it myself but the link shows it being used for dogs so might work. It comes in small, large and jumbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

thanks for the replies. the magic carpet looks like a good option. I'll leave some feedback once the two mucky pups have tested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

00112984 wrote: »
    JML do a Magic Carpet.

I have one of these, got it years ago so it's a bit worse for wear. Very good with muddy paws and shoes, can be chucked into the washing machine so no hassle to keep clean. One thing though, it's a pain to hoover. The hairs seem to become engrained into it so mine stays quite hairy even after it's hoovered (and washed!). Definately recommend it though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I have about half a dozen of these:

http://www.turtlemat.co.uk/Pet-mats-dog-mats/

in assorted colours and sizes.

Find them really good (and hence worth the hefty price tag).

They are very thin, so most doors will open over them, they don't slip or slide even on tiled floors, they are machine washable & come up like new wash after wash, they come in good sizes so suit most areas & they are attractive to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I got a large mat in the hardware shop can't remember the name of it but you see them on shop floors, they have a rubber backing so don't slip if you have a good hoover they're not too bad and I've wiped mine down with a damp mop. Would suggest perhaps getting one a bit bigger than planned the further they have to walk on it the more their feet will wipe.

Haven't tried the jml magic mat though worth a try it would be cheaper than the hardware store ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I find those rubber brushes are brilliant at getting the hair out of the mat. I've tried to train the dog to wipe his feet (basically digging!), but he only does it with his front paws, so I find it's best to get him to turn in a circle a few times after he comes in. The cats still leave muddy footprints when it's wet though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

We just use a bunch of old towels we have. Leave one covering the ground so they have to walk on it when they get back and another to throw over them and give them a quick try.

Advertisement