Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimension T500 (PIII 500Mhz) Upgrade

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have an old Dell Dimension XPS T500 (about 10 years old)
    I'm just tinkering with it and am interested in upgrading the processor.

Anyone have any suggestions where I could find a suitable processor? Here are the specs of the current PIII 500MHz processor. I'd like 1Ghz at least but can I go higher?

Photo of Mobo and Processor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I have an old Dell Dimension XPS T500 (about 10 years old)
    I'm just tinkering with it and am interested in upgrading the processor.

Anyone have any suggestions where I could find a suitable processor? Here are the specs of the current PIII 500MHz processor. I'd like 1Ghz at least but can I go higher?

Photo of Mobo and Processor

short answer: No you cannot upgrade the cpu.

Long answer: you have a SECC2 P3, this was earliest of of P3s. Intel switched socket and cpu type shortly after.

E.g http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KL_Intel_Pentium_III_Coppermine.jpg
    Notice how the cpu is a small single chip and not a gigantic blackbox.

These late P3s are not backwards compatible with the type of cpu you have.

You cannot upgrade your pc any further bar ram, a new harddrive, dvd/cd drive or a new expansion card of some sort.

Upgrading your pc is not worth your while. If you want to tinker with it fair enough: you can learn a lot by messing around the insides of old hardware.

It's time for you to start thinking of building a new pc from scratch.... ;).

EDIT: from reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III you can upgrade to a 600mhz chip in the SECC2 packaging.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Even a cheap second-hand Atom nettop off Adverts is better :o

That system is useless for anything other than tinkering at this point (or running a few older apps, no modern ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I was hoping to be able to get a faster CPU for nothing just for the tinkering aspect as you said, I thought it could handle higher then 600Mhz. Not to worry, I'm not deluded enought to expect miracles. I'm not ready to right the poor yoke off yet however!!

I have it booting from a CF card with Puppy Linux and I really want to do something more with it then consign it to the scrap heap. I have a mini-itx type pc built (in my head), just waiting for my wallet to catch up. In the mean-time this is occupying me :)

I have a hardrive from a conceptronic CH3WNAS that I think I'll put into it and use. The old PIII probably isn't that much more expensive to run then that and I could use torrents etc if needed and perhaps a print server.

Do people think it could handle DVR type appication if I got a good digital tv tuner for freesat? If it didn't work I'd use the card again anyway though I'm not too familiar with all the different connections and current requirements (PCI etc). Plenty research left to do.

Anyone have any comments on these few things I've mentioned? Anyone done anything interesting with old hardware like this?

So much to think about!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK TV cards don't gobble up the juice but the software requirements could keep the poor P3 off the viability list even if it has a compatible PCI slot :(

The problem is that its so old... a very basic Linux distro and maybe uTorrent could probably make its poor head hurt even if it did work. Although it should - could be fun finding the P3s limits in Linux with apps :D Not sure about the print server though - could be driver issues...

Don't underestimate it (I have no idea why I am being so protective!?). ;)

I had XUbuntu (Jaunty) working on it, and before that I even had Ubuntu (Hardy), I didn't use it much but it worked! :) I actually used Transmission and downloaded some stuff. I also put a cheap PCI card that has a bunch of USB2 slots into it and that works so getting printers and other USB stuff should be fine with the newer distros. It could actually do a lot!

I tried and could never get ubuntu to install onto the compact flash even though it is just recognised as a plain IDE device. I'll try again as it would make a great headless server. Puppy Linux is simple to get going and bloody well recognised all the obscure hardware straightaway but I'd still like my apt-get.

I shall persevere, though I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions. (Espeicially about the DVR thing ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

overclock it! I heard it can do 700mhz easy provided the pc has good airflow.

Hmmmm, don't think so. Had a look and the these guys seem to have done a fairly thorough evaluation.
    http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/p3overclocking/page4.asp

Looks like I'll have to make do with 500. Not worth the effort of learning how to overclock I'd say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

you can get slot1 to s370 adapters for secc, used to use them for the same reason, easier to upgrade. surely there's a similar adaptor for secc2?

Other suggestions...bring it up to 256mb of ram if its not already, adverts.ie will yield free or cheap ram. I used to have a T500/500mhz/128mb with the TNT2, was actually pretty good for Return to Castle Wolfenstein! could also utilize something like a Geforce 256 maybe (about five euro) for a slightly enhanced experience :D

1. old games machine
    2. torrent machine
    3. file storage/sorting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have two of the exact machine you have at my feet right now, they are going to be retasked into a storage server and something else, possibly a torrent machine when I get the time.

They both can run XP and any Linux distro you choose and are grand a print server etc.

Max RAM is 768MB PC100/133 but with that in there it should 'fly'

MC

Well, installed Xubuntu Jaunty onto the 4GB CF card and it works a charm. (one last step is to make / (root) read only, getting a bunch of errors at boot if I do at the moment)
    See proof in the screenshots, running Gimp and Abiword. :D
    Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2

I only have 256MB RAM in at the moment, have to get my hands on some more. I did put my 500GB hardrive in and set up a swap partition there. All there's left to do now is finalise what I want to put it doing :) Didn't think it could take the PC133 RAM, good news if it does.

How many Watts do you guys think this would draw under load/idle?

**Just to note, this machine can only use 100Mhz RAM**
    See http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dkub/specs.htm#memory

• Advertisement
Advertisement