Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint A/C with eventual view to a mortgage

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm getting married next year and myself and the Mrs (to be) are looking to set up a joint bank a/c.

I've been with BOI for years and she's been with Halifax.

Now, we would presumably hope to get a mortgage in the next two years. The question is this:

Does having an exisiting a/c with a bank increase the chances of them giving you a mortgage? Or is it inconsequential if you can show documentation detailing your saving history etc?

If it does have an affect, are the rumours that Irish banks (BOI and AIB) are more likely to lend that foreigned owned banks (ie. Halifax).

Cos the interest etc. on Halifax's current a/c is miles ahead of everyone else.

Cheers
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭The Rooster

quad_red wrote: »
    Does having an exisiting a/c with a bank increase the chances of them giving you a mortgage?

I don't think so, unless you build a relationship with someone.

I've often found that banks deal with new customers better than existing customers, so going to AIB/BOI looking for a mortgage with no existing accounts with them might not be a bad thing. They'll probably try and get you to open a current a/c with them if they give you a mortgage, which could help in your negotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 patbrady877

it makes no difference who you take to joint account with. If you qualify for the mortgage it wont make any difference who the savings account is with. Who you take you mortgage with will depend on the rate offered by each bank.

Advertisement