Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darren O'Dea

• 09-09-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I've seen O'Dea a handful of times for Celtic, and each time I have been very impressed with him. I think Caldwell is an awful player, yet O'Dea was always behind him in the pecking order.

So my question is, have I just seen his good games? Is he actaully a bit shaky, because anytime I've seen him I thought he looked a great prospect:confused: Please somebody, enlighten me.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

from what ive seen he is a quality young defender and Celtic see long term potential but he needs regular football hense his loan move to Reading. It can often be hard for a young player to break through at the club they have always played for as unless injuries occure they are simply considerd backup to the older players already in possesion of the 1st team slots, while is they move aside they are given a clean slate or are just brought in because their is a first team gap that needs filling. They then do so well at their new club that their value shoots up and their original club often regret letting him go in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

from what ive seen he is a quality young defender and Celtic see long term potential but he needs regular football hense his loan move to Reading. It can often be hard for a young player to break through at the club they have always played for as unless injuries occure they are simply considerd backup to the older players already in possesion of the 1st team slots, while is they move aside they are given a clean slate or are just brought in because their is a first team gap that needs filling. They then do so well at their new club that their value shoots up and their original club often regret letting him go in the first place.

The thing is, being a good 'prospect' aside, he always has looked a hell of alot better than Caldwell anytime I've seen him. Very composed etc. Can also score a goal too. I'm a litle surprised that he's not first choice on what I've seen. As I said though, its not like I watch him regularly, I'm just going on what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Well I am a Rangers fan and I have to say I think he is a great player and should be starting in front of Caldwell

Have to say I was a bit surprised when he went on loan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I've always thought it daft he doesn't start instead of Caldwell myself. Mainly because i think Caldwell is an atrocious defender though, as opposed to any love of O'Dea. Haven't seen enough of O'Dea tbh to really rate him. Going on loan to Reading should tell us a bit more about him though.

Caldwell is currently rated a lot higher due to his SFA player of the year nomination. I think Celtic may try and sell one of the duo at the back and Possibly have a backline of O'Dea and Loovens.

Caldwell's overrated and quick catch a quick buck and well, it seems that injury is beginning to destroy Micks career. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I knew about O'Dea but never saw him play, until this summer he captained Celtic in that Wembley Cup thing, he was absolutely outstanding against Spurs, have been waiting to see him play for Ireland. Was dissappointed he didnt start ahead of McShane last night, but i thought he was exellent when he came on, he did his stuff and looked very composed while doing it.

Hope he thrives on the gametime he will get a Reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Interesting that he signed a 3 year contrat the day he left for Reading. Celtic obv see a future for him. :)

He obviously loves Celtic but if he has any ambition he should leave,playing in the spl will not improve him.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Hopefully he'll keep improving him 'cos we need all the quality defenders we can get. For the record, Caldwell is ****ing awful:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Glenn Loovens was in the Holland team against Japan. O'Dea when playing beside Loovens dictates things. He tells him where to be. He was the same with a 30+ Bobo Balde. He's an organiser, an intelligent centre half. More than good enough for Celtic.

I'd trust O'Dea much more than Caldwell who's in the Celtic team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Darren O'Dea is a great prospect. Surprised he doesn't start regularly for Celtic. He has an old head on him. He reads the game exceptionally well, and has a wonderful left foot. Always dangerous in the opposing penalty area.

If he has one fault is a slight lack of pace, but that is negated by his awareness. Watch Reading go up the table now that he will be playing for them. A born leader. I expect him to one day captain Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It is a mystery why O'Dea hasn't had a prolonged run in the Celtic team. Under Strachan he would play brilliantly every time he came into the team (San Siro against AC Milan comes to mind) and would inexplicably be dropped afterwards.

Every time he's played centre half he has looked excellent. He is strong in the air, scores his share of goals, ferocious in the tackle, is a great reader of the game, can pass well but does lack a bit of pace. He would start every game if I was manager.

I am very surprised he went out on loan to Reading, I hope he plays great and comes back a better player.
    He obviously loves Celtic but if he has any ambition he should leave,playing in the spl will not improve him.

Playing against Yeovil Town will serve him better than playing against Milan in the last 16 of the Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I'm glad its not just me then.:) Like Bobby said above, I was often left scratching my head when O'Dea would be on top form, and then subsaquently would be dropped for no apparent reason. Again, he looked great in the Wembley cup. Captain too. Yet he's loaned out:confused: Its a bit of a scratch the head scenario for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Yeah I've been signing the guys praises for a long time and am a little suprised at he's lack of opportunities at Parkhead, Caldwell with the exception of about four months last season has always been terrible and is showin he's real form at the moment and McManus was terrible last season so I would definitely consider him the second best Centre Half at the club and tbh I think if he got a decent run of games he would surpass Loovens aswell.

As for the Irish team he is definitely good enough for that back four and is miles ahead of both McShane and St.Ledger and even at FB ahead of Killbane, but to be fair to Trap he cant really play him if he isnt getting regular football so hopefully this loan spell will be good news for Celtic, Ireland and most importantly for Darren himself.

Advertisement