Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late pubs in Galway

Options
  • 09-09-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

I think it would be a could idea to have a list of pubs in Galway where you can stay drinking after closing time, Crowes in Bohermore for example.

Anyone know of any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pubs operating Late bars have become increasingly popular in Galway and throughout Ireland over the last 10 years due to changing licensing laws and changing social habits. They offer an alternative to the nightclubs and often feature DJ's and dance floors.

Normal Pub opening hours are 11.30pm Sunday to Thursday and until 12.30am Saturday & Sunday.

Late bars usually open until 2am
    Bar 903- 7 nights a week
    Bar 903 is a modern contemporary styled bar located in Eyre Square. This popular late opening bar is part of the Cuba Nightclub and Live venue. Featuring live music and DJ’s seven nights a week.

The Front Door- Wednesday to Sunday
    The Front Door is a very popular venue. Accommodating up to 500 people it is in the super pub league.The Front Door

The Dail Bar- Wednesday to Sunday
    Ornately decorated bar spread over two floors

The Living Room- Thursday to Sunday
    Three bars over two floors with DJ's and a dance floor.

The Roisin Dubh- 7 nights a week
    Famous Live music venue. Large Pub with probably one of the biggest smoking areas in town. Great club alternative.

The Skeff- Friday & Saturday
    The Skeff is one of Galway’s biggest pubs reputedly accommodating up to 1500 people on it’s several levels. Extremely popular with large groups at the weekend.

Massimo- Tuesday to Sunday
    Situated in the west end of Galway City it has a stylish spacious interior with lots of comfortable seating and even a small dance floor. Diverse range of DJ's and bands throughout the week.

The Cellar Bar- Thursday to Saturday
    Two bars with live music most nights. Downstairs venue operating as a Club on Saturday nights.

Spanish Arch Bar- Friday and Saturday
    Popular with an older clientele at the weekends. Located right in the heart of the City.

The Kings Head- Friday & Saturday
    DJ's and bands pump up the pre-club crowd but gets quiet from 1am onwards. Open until 12.30am on Thursday & Sundays but goes late 4 nights a week during the Summer.

The Quays
    Opening late several nights a week. The upstairs venue features covers bands most nights but charges a cover charge.

Coyotes- Wednesday to Sunday
    American themed bar and club popular with students during the winter and weekend revellers.

Fibber McGees- Friday to Sunday
    The crowd is generally under 25 with Fibbers being popular among college students for its cheap drinks and loud music during the week.

Morgans Bar
    One of the first pubs to open a late bar in Galway. Part of the Foster Court Hotel. DJ's at the weekend.

http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/late-bars.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

no, I mean places without exemptions. There's nothing like a good lock-in, it always makes the beer taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Magnus wrote: »
    The Living Room- Thursday to Sunday
    Three bars over two floors with DJ's and a dance floor.

Now Kellys, and I don't think they have dj's over 2 floors anymore do they?
    mike kelly wrote: »
    no, I mean places without exemptions. There's nothing like a good lock-in, it always makes the beer taste better.

You won't get that listed on here dude;)

Yeah that list is a bit old but most places are the same.

Publicise your lock ins would probably not be a good idea for a pub, I'm going to have to go drinking in the pub mentioned in the OP now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

I think it would be a could idea to have a list of pubs in Galway where you can stay drinking after closing time, Crowes in Bohermore for example.

doesnt that crowes have something to do with the councilor - probably why they get away with lock ins

• Advertisement

doesnt that crowes have something to do with the councilor - probably why they get away with lock ins

no, lock-ins have been going on there for many years

place has been raided a few times by the gardai but a fine of a few euro isn't much of a deterrant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Magnus wrote: »
    The Cellar Bar- Thursday to Saturday
    Two bars with live music most nights. Downstairs venue operating as a Club on Saturday nights.
    AFAIK the Cellar have dropped the Thursday night late bar and are only doing Fridays and Saturdays now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So are you an under-cover guard trying to get boards.ie to do your leg-work for you?

Or really just as, umm, "innocent", as that suggestion makes you sound?

an under-cover guard? investigating late closing?

why would the guards investigate that? can you give one example of such a thing ever happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

JustMary wrote: »
    So are you an under-cover guard trying to get boards.ie to do your leg-work for you?

Or really just as, umm, "innocent", as that suggestion makes you sound?

if i really DID drink there personally, and enjoy the occassional lock-in, i would be really angry that somebody is publicizing it here. thats a bit indiscreet and could potentially wreck it for everyone, no?

• Advertisement

Mary's only messing lads :D

if i really DID drink there personally, and enjoy the occassional lock-in, i would be really angry that somebody is publicizing it here. thats a bit indiscreet and could potentially wreck it for everyone, no?

no, because posting on boards.ie does not constitute an offical complaint. the guards know well which pubs offer lock-ins.

maybe a guard on this forum could give us a few names...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Agree with you completely, anyone who disagrees doesn't deserve a lock-in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

It is not very practical to be advertising pubs that give us a couple of pints after closing time. Most pubs that do it make sure it is for regular customers only. Can't see a list appearing on boards.ie tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Yeah...lets list pubs that have lock ins on a popular web forum on the Internets where crap taboild newspapers can write a story about it and bring unwanted attention to these pubs.

Great idea really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

no, because posting on boards.ie does not constitute an offical complaint. the guards know well which pubs offer lock-ins.

maybe a guard on this forum could give us a few names...

Ahh, now I've got it: you're not a guard, but you've got that look that makes publicans think you might be.

So at that special moment, about 1/2 a hour after drinking-up time starts, when they're looking over who's in the house and assessing whether it's safe to pour again ... you're the lad who stops it happening!

A list on boards.ie isn't going to fix your problem. What will is getting to know the bar staff .. takes longer, but is safer all round, if you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What kind of <insert insult of choice here>posts a thread like this? If I drank in Crowes and enjoyed a few late pints I'd be pretty pissed off that some fool was posting about it on an internet forum.

I have a couple of pubs where I have enjoyed illicit late pints, but for obvious reasons I won't be telling here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Zzippy wrote: »
    I have a couple of pubs where I have enjoyed illicit late pints, but for obvious reasons I won't be telling here

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Thread should be deleted.

No fan of Crowes either

Zzippy wrote: »

ah go on, go on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ah go on, go on

No. Grow up.

And we're done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement