Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop connection problem

• 09-09-2009 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi i was wondering if any one has any ideas what could be wrong with my laptop/ broadband. When i connect the internet cable at work into my laptop it wont connect to the internet for me, but if i connect it to another computer then it works no problem. My wireless broadband works fine for me at home on my laptop it just seems to be its unable to pick up a signal from the cable.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Hi i was wondering if any one has any ideas what could be wrong with my laptop/ broadband. When i connect the internet cable at work into my laptop it wont connect to the internet for me, but if i connect it to another computer then it works no problem. My wireless broadband works fine for me at home on my laptop it just seems to be its unable to pick up a signal from the cable.
    thanks
    You may have the TCP/IP settings in the LAN customized for another router/switch.

Go into Network and Sharing Center (Vista & 7) or Network Connections (XP). Look in the Local Area Connection, click Properties, and select TCP/IP (IPv4) and see if there's any custom settings there. Select Automatic on both radio buttons instead, if so. Then your router's DHCP and automatic DNS seek assigns everything you need automatically. No need to do any more.

If that's not the issue, then post back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

.......and while your in Network connections, ensure that the LAN connection is not disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You may have the TCP/IP settings in the LAN customized for another router/switch.

Go into Network and Sharing Center (Vista & 7) or Network Connections (XP). Look in the Local Area Connection, click Properties, and select TCP/IP (IPv4) and see if there's any custom settings there. Select Automatic on both radio buttons instead, if so. Then your router's DHCP and automatic DNS seek assigns everything you need automatically. No need to do any more.

If that's not the issue, then post back. :)
    Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    .......and while your in Network connections, ensure that the LAN connection is not disabled.

Just got if fixed the LAN connection was disabled for some reason. Thanks very much for your help.

Advertisement