Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Man City on the way to being more hated than chelsea?

• 09-09-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

just wondering what general football fans attitude is towards city?

When they were bought by the sheiks, i think most fans (except united) were happy with them. They are a big enough club, but havent really done well in the last few years. People saw this as a chance to stick it to the big 4, it'd be good for another team to get through.

I was the same, have no real love or hatred for them and when i saw them signing players like robino (sp) last year, i thought this is no false dawn, they will be challenging in a few years. I always liked Mark hughes (despite the united link) and though he was a decent manager.

They have changed in the past few months though. Their pursuit of Lescott was wrong imo. They made and offer to the club, who then refused. They refused his transfer request too but his abject displays and poor attitude left them no choice but to sell. The comments by Hughes, when he said that they were speaking to the people in Everton who matter, even after moyes had said no one spoke to him were very condascending IMO.

Then the Richard Dunne situation, when he said he was promised a testimonial but then the chief exec said this was lie. i think its poor form to treat a club captain like this, especially one who has won player of the year for the last 4 years (IIRC)

I dont want this to become an anti Man City thread, just wondering if I am in alone in changing my opinion on them.
    anyone else thinking "good for them" when it started but slowly beginning to dislike them now.

Also, their insistence on calling it a 'project' is quite annoying too :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

/cracks knuckles

This should be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

I'm a Manchester United fan, so obviously I have some bias.

City aren't hated yet. But if they win a big trophy, say a European one or the Premiership, they will be. That'll be due to the success. Their profile, casually at least, will only get worse and worse. They are seen as big money, because, well, they have big money, and that in itself attracts opprobrium. I would agree that they did very badly by Dunne, sold him behind his back. That was poor. I think that within two or three years, they will be heavily disliked, regardless of how they conduct themselves. Comes with the territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

event wrote: »
    just wondering what general football fans attitude is towards city?

When they were bought by the sheiks, i think most fans (except united) were happy with them. They are a big enough club, but havent really done well in the last few years. People saw this as a chance to stick it to the big 4, it'd be good for another team to get through.

I was the same, have no real love or hatred for them and when i saw them signing players like robino (sp) last year, i thought this is no false dawn, they will be challenging in a few years. I always liked Mark hughes (despite the united link) and though he was a decent manager.

They have changed in the past few months though. Their pursuit of Lescott was wrong imo. They made and offer to the club, who then refused. They refused his transfer request too but his abject displays and poor attitude left them no choice but to sell. The comments by Hughes, when he said that they were speaking to the people in Everton who matter, even after moyes had said no one spoke to him were very condascending IMO.

Then the Richard Dunne situation, when he said he was promised a testimonial but then the chief exec said this was lie. i think its poor form to treat a club captain like this, especially one who has won player of the year for the last 4 years (IIRC)

I dont want this to become an anti Man City thread, just wondering if I am in alone in changing my opinion on them.
    anyone else thinking "good for them" when it started but slowly beginning to dislike them now.

Also, their insistence on calling it a 'project' is quite annoying too :p
    As a United fan I cant say I have ever hated Chelsea , its hard to hate a team with very little supporters around to hate on if you catch my drift, no one I know supports them. Where as I hate City because its City but they also kinda fall in to the same bracket, if I was any other fan I wouldnt hate them as id see them in the same light as I would Chelsea. City havent very many fans in this country , so its hard to hate a team when your not surrounded by their fans.

I hope that makes sense.

Naturally though I despise Xavi :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Chelsea had Mourinho,who was entertaining so I didn't hate them for it.City don't so I hate them.Abramovich seems to be more likeable than ADUG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I look at city with curiousity more than anything else and obviously I hope the whole project (:)) falls flat on its face but far from hatred. A league title would start to change that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

It all depends on their success over the next 2-3 years tbh. Being a United fan I have my biased feelings, naturally, but they need to start winning silverware for people to feel threatened and then the hatred will come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

titan18 wrote: »
    Chelsea had Mourinho,who was entertaining so I didn't hate them for it.City don't so I hate them.Abramovich seems to be more likeable than ADUG.

How can you like Abramovich when the guy has never done an interview?
    Nobody has ever heard his voice.
    I nothing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Personally it wasn't the whole Abramovich thing that gave me a dislike for Chelsea...it was more some of their players attitude that made me dislike them...for example they way they all used to run up to refs and try and bully them into decisions...obv it's more teams than Chelsea doing this but I felt they did it on a more consistant basis and it wasn't one or two players, they used to hunt in packs of 5 or 6! As a Liverpool fan obv the dislike grew as we built up a small rivalry with them due to meeting them on so many occasions in the CL in recent years.

As regards City...I don't know whether I will ever perceive them in the same light as I perceive United (just for being United!) or Chelsea. Personally I don't think they did too much wrong as regards Lescott. They made an offer to who they say were the correct people at Everton...it was refused so they increased their offer and so on and so on...In my view it was Lescott who's attitude was all wrong...although I do stand to be corrected as I am only going on the few articles I have read online.

As regards Dunne...yes that was handled badly...still can't understand why they wanted him out...if he wanted to stay and fight for his place...whay not let him...that 'balance the books' rubbish that they say is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Yep really does depend on how well they do the next few years. If they are genuine challengers then expect the hate to begin.

Im a liverpool fan so im delighted Man United are no longer the biggest club in manchester.....ohhh did I just go there? I think I did :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Don't think I could ever hate City, but I might be fetching for the lolcats if/when their ridiculous plan falls apart. Too much, too soon IMHO.

Admittedly it is a fascinating concept and if anything it will make for great car crash TV. FWIW it's not City I have the problem with, it's the questionable source of it's owner and his money. I think Chelsea have some super players, but I think Abramovich is a plank, more money than sense. Any owner that sends the bloodhounds after a PL-winning manager like Mourinho only to replace him with Avram bloody Grant needs to GTFO, seriously.

City, Hughes, Robinho...nah, not buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

I don't know how you could hate any team especially not in another country. I find Rovers fans pathetic but I'd be pushing to say I hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

nah

but put Drogba/Terry/Anelka/Cole in their team and who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Personally I'd love to see City do well. It'll really shake up the league a bit for a new team to break into the top 4.

A lot of people I know hate them just because of the money they are allowed to spend which is a ridiculous reason to hate them.

Their pursuit of Lescott was wrong though IMO. They should've let it be tbh.

Some people say that money can't buy you a squad but early indications for City show that yes it can.

Sick of the same top 4 so roll on the Citeh.

Plus I've got a bet on with a mate that City will pip Arsenal for fourth place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Chelsea paved the way and took any hatred that people might have for a club based solely on how mega rich they are so now I think peole are more just curious as to how City will go and interested in what big stars they will attract to Premiership football/take from other sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

For any club to break into the top 4 and challenge for thr title they one prime factor to start with...money!

So if Man City want to be ambitious and challenge for the league they need money to attract to best players and thats what they've done.

Lets be realistic, why can't the likes of Everton, Villa, West Ham etc, challenge for the title, because of their financial status.

I know it's a shame, but it's just the way modern football is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Hate them?

City are that little cute club that everyone goes ''awww look at how hard they are trying, bless''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

i like man city more then i ever did at the moment but if they start winning big game like utd i wudnt like them as much. they are a big club and i think they need good players to keep the name up and i think they will do well this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CHD wrote: »
    Hate them?

City are that little cute club that everyone goes ''awww look at how hard they are trying, bless''

Says the Chelsea fan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

JPA wrote: »
    How can you like Abramovich when the guy has never done an interview?
    Nobody has ever heard his voice.
    I nothing him.

He has a nice yacht,a nice girlfriend,nice cars,seems to be always at the games.If no one knew he was,he'd seem like a normal fan.

titan18 wrote: »
    He has a nice yacht,a nice girlfriend,nice cars,seems to be always at the games.If no one knew he was,he'd seem like a normal fan.

[Dunphy]He's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young wan[/Dunphy]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

For some reaosn this is the kinda topic that makes you just want to scroll the pages, read the posts with the most 'thanks' and move on...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

JPA wrote: »
    Says the Chelsea fan....
    Well spotted. Now here's a tough one for you, spell the name of the club you support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

People hate chelsea?:confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Soby wrote: »
    People hate chelsea?:confused:

:pac:

I rather chelsea than city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

CHD wrote: »
    Hate them?

same could've been said about Chelsea not so long ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Man City & Chelsea are owned by people who have no concept of respect for human rights or democracy, that alone should be enough to turn people off.

Man City & Chelsea are owned by people who have no concept of respect for human rights or democracy, that alone should be enough to turn people off.

Aren't Villa owned by an American?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Aren't Villa owned by an American?

Last time i checked the USA was a democracy?

Last time i checked the USA was a democracy?

I didn't bold the democracy part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Auvers wrote: »
    nah

but put Drogba/Terry/Anelka/Cole in their team and who knows

Also Mikel has a special place in United fans hearts ...

I think the owners of both city and chelsea are sort of morally dodgy but thats another story.

I didn't bold the democracy part

Well flesh out your point then why don't you, are you comparing US owners of football clubs with people who live in and control countries and economies where their national resources are in the hands of specific families with no prospect of democratic reforms like Abu Dhabi?

Well flesh out your point then why don't you, are you comparing US owners of football clubs with people who live in and control countries and economies where their national resources are in the hands of specific families with no prospect of democratic reforms like Abu Dhabi?

You made a point about not respecting basic human rights. The United States are as guilty as anyone on that count.

You made a point about not respecting basic human rights. The United States are as guilty as anyone on that count.

Randy lerner isnt though, not that i do or dont agree with his point

Why? The US are certainly not perfect when it comes to exercising their power but to bracket them with Russian Oligarchs & Arab Sheikhs is ridiculous imo. A quick analysis of the US' democratic institutions contrast positively in comparison to UAEs and Russias systems of governance.

American owners like Lerner, who spent their money on acquiring football clubs, or the Glazers & Gillettes of the world who used easy credit from financial institutions are a world away from the regimes in Abu Dhabi and Russia. An Abu Dhabi citizen has no input into their national resources been pissed away on an English football club, do you not consider that unfair or at least morally dubious?

Why? The US are certainly not perfect when it comes to exercising their power but to bracket them with Russian Oligarchs & Arab Sheikhs is ridiculous imo.

American owners like Lerner, who spent their money on acquiring football clubs, or the Glazers & Gillettes of the world who used easy credit from financial institutions are a world away from the regimes in Abu Dhabi and Russia. An Abu Dhabi citizen has no input into their national resources been pissed away on an English football club, do you not consider that unfair or at least morally dubious?

Of course it's dubious, but I don't think anyone who supports a mainstream football club can claim the moral high ground against another.

Have you bought any of Villa's gear this season? It's made by Nike, those great proponents of basic human rights.

I'm not hating on Villa cause of that though. If I was then I'd be throwing stones in my little glass house.

• Advertisement

Of course it's dubious, but I don't think anyone who supports a mainstream football club can claim the moral high ground against another.

Have you bought any of Villa's gear this season? It's made by Nike, those great proponents of basic human rights.

I'm not hating on Villa cause of that though. If I was then I'd be throwing stones in my little glass house.

You are making tenuous comparisons. Nike are certainly not perfect, but they don't own Aston Villa and are subject to public pressure groups and have to adhere to systems of corporate governance in the western nations.

In contrast the sheikhs of the UAE and the oligarchs are a law unto themselves, they have free reign to do as they like in their home nations. The crowd who own City? they can do what they like in their emirate, they are the law. Abramovich? as long as he doesnt rock the boat with Putin then he is free to do as he pleases in Russia.

Should you hate Chelsea & Man City because of their owners? depends on your own pov of course but i definitely think the average Russian or abu Dhabi-ian could suggest better uses for the enormous monies spent on Chelsea or City, but then they are powerless. Put another way i wouldnt like to support a club which is essentially a giant PR project to show these benovelent billionaires and their countries are alright, i prefer democracy tbh.

You are making tenuous comparisons. Nike are certainly not perfect, but they don't own Aston Villa and are subject to public pressure groups and have to adhere to systems of corporate governance in the western nations.

In contrast the sheikhs of the UAE and the oligarchs are a law unto themselves, they have free reign to do as they like in their home nations. The crowd who own City? they can do what they like in their emirate, they are the law. Abramovich? as long as he doesnt rock the boat with Putin then he is free to do as he pleases in Russia.

Should you hate Chelsea & Man City because of their owners? depends on your own pov of course but i definitely think the average Russian or abu Dhabi-ian could suggest better uses for the enormous monies spent on Chelsea or City, but then they are powerless. Put another way i wouldnt like to support a club which is essentially a giant PR project to show these benovelent billionaires and their countries are alright, i prefer democracy tbh.

I do agree with you to a certain extent with regard to the way the wealth is controlled in those countries, but that's hardly the fault of Chelsea or City. It's a business at the end of the day, and the FA saw them as fit and proper and all that.

However if the owners are the excuse for hating us now then I thought that ship would have sailed long ago when Thaksin was at the helm.

So Xavi, what you're basically saying is that all 380 odd million Americans do not have any respect for human rights?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So Xavi, what you're basically saying is that all 380 odd million Americans do not have any respect for human rights?

No, in the same way I'm sure invincibleirish isn't saying that about 140 million Russians or 4 million folk from the UAE.

No, in the same way I'm sure invincibleirish isn't saying that about 140 million Russians or 4 million folk from the UAE.

But he made no reference to their nationality, it was the individuals that he questioned of having no respect for democracy or human rights.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    But he made no reference to their nationality, it was the individuals that he questioned of having no respect for democracy or human rights.

Fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

I hope so, that will mean we're winning things. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

To be honest i welcome the competition, someone has to start giving us a decent challenge soon otherwise football would get boring ;)

And for a united fan, if that challenge comes from city itll be even more interesting :p

When you get to be more hated than united then youll know your doing something right. I mean there was even that ABU movement at one stage... pfft to Chelsea, as the above poster said it aint all about money its winning things that makes opposing fans jealous, envious and maybe even turn to hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

I'd have to say I have built up a more of a dislike for Utd over the years than I could have for Chelski over the last few. So I would suggest that the OP includees Utd in this and add's a poll. Oh and all the best to City;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Am I the only non-City fan (if anything i'm a United fan) who thinks the events at City over the past year have been f*cking brilliant? From the transfer deadline signing of Robinho, to the Kaka saga in January to the summer of great signings and endless peculation, I've been entertained no end. What has happened that club has been the stuff of fantasy and who can say they don't deserve a bit of good news after all the heartbreak thay've been through over the years?

Lets face it all these moral objections are bloody ridiculous, I defy the fans of any club to say that they honestly wouldn't bite your hands off to have owners who literally could afford to sign any player in the world and seem absolutely willig to try and do so.

F*ck the begrudgers I say City fans, wait till ye win the Premiership, then the real bitterness and bile will start flowing.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i think so anyway

DoI hate city,yes.

Even my fiends who have supported them for years dont like how they are going about their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

flahavaj wrote: »
    Am I the only non-City fan (if anything i'm a United fan) who thinks the events at City over the past year have been f*cking brilliant? From the transfer deadline signing of Robinho, to the Kaka saga in January to the summer of great signings and endless peculation, I've been entertained no end. What has happened that club has been the stuff of fantasy and who can say they don't deserve a bit of good news after all the heartbreak thay've been through over the years?

Lets face it all these moral objections are bloody ridiculous, I defy the fans of any club to say that they honestly wouldn't bite your hands off to have owners who literally could afford to sign any player in the world and seem absolutely willig to try and do so.

F*ck the begrudgers I say City fans, wait till ye win the Premiership, then the real bitterness and bile will start flowing.:pac:

ill get my gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

flahavaj wrote: »

I'd love to see them do well especially with Given in goal for them. I'd love if they won the League with a real good defensive record and Given was lauded as the most important signing of Hughes regime.

Also Ireland as well, he might not want to play for us but thats him, I still admire him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement