Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendations

Options
  • 09-09-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

I know this has been around the block a few times, but its been a while since I've eaten out in Galway.So... I'm looking for a good restaurant this weekend.I've tried a couple of review sites but I'm looking for some recent experiences. Budget isn't a huge concern. I just want a good quality meal in a good atmosphere. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The fish resturant on Quay st not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My new favourite place is KRCMA for simple solid lovely food.
    If you're looking for more upmarket stuff then Oscars, Abalone, DaRobertas, ...

Some suggestions here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Magnus wrote: »
    My new favourite place is KRCMA for simple solid lovely food.[/URL]

Agreeeeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I know this has been around the block a few times, but its been a while since I've eaten out in Galway.So... I'm looking for a good restaurant this weekend.I've tried a couple of review sites but I'm looking for some recent experiences. Budget isn't a huge concern. I just want a good quality meal in a good atmosphere. Thanks in advance.

Cava on Dominic St. Choice of tapas or starters/main course. A bit on the expensive side, but worth it. Nice atmosphere in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

anyone been in Cookes lately. Actually thought it was gone. Was a huge favourite a few years back. Whats the menu like in KRCMA. Thought it was just a bar tbh.

• Advertisement

They do eastern european food.

Only been there once so far but it was absolutely the most delicious food I've had in Ireland, where restaurants are often mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Cava is amazing...especially if you are in the mood to try a few different things!

Kirwans Lane ...Just awesome!

Da Robertas - Italian - Excellent!

O Gradys on the pier.... bit pricey but well worth it for best seafood in Galway IMHO

First time I was in KRCMA I had fried cheese with chips and tartar sauce, crazy combination but really nice.
    I remember saying to herself "This is so good I wish I could leave and come back and have it again".
    Food is a bit on the fat side so if you worry about your waistline it's not for you. Perfect if you're going drinking after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Da Robertas - Italian - Excellent!

Use to be a (massive)fan but, have had crap stale bland food in there the last two times i dined there. And on both occasions was sat in a manner of McDonagh's on Quay street. Guy in the seat beside me started to drink my water by accident the tables were that close!

In fairness, there is hardly anything available in Irish restaurants that is good or neutral for the waistline.

Order a salad here and you get a plate of coleslaw, potato salad, egg mayonaise, and maybe some wilted greens with a crappy dressing.

• Advertisement

Xiney, we should have late Saturday lunch in there sometime, with a few nice EE beers after. Boards food and beer event:)

Absolutely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

lohans in salthill is v nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

lohans in salthill is v nice:)

I disagree, i eat there a few times found them very slow and the food seemed to be either microwaved or under a hot plate for too long, as it was scalding hot and the sauce burnt onto the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Went into the Cellar for lunch today. Had soup and a plain sambo and coffee. Got shock when waitress asked me for €11.05. Told her it was extortion, she looked bemused. Will avoid in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xiney wrote: »
    In fairness, there is hardly anything available in Irish restaurants that is good or neutral for the waistline.

Order a salad here and you get a plate of coleslaw, potato salad, egg mayonaise, and maybe some wilted greens with a crappy dressing.

You forgot to mention the potato crisps on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

dec25532 wrote: »
    Went into the Cellar for lunch today. Had soup and a plain sambo and coffee. Got shock when waitress asked me for €11.05. Told her it was extortion, she looked bemused. Will avoid in the future.

Bad buzz, coulda gotten that for €5.95 in O' Riordans!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

Oscar's is by far the best restaurant in Galway, serious food and serious service. Sherdian's on the Docks have a restaurant above the pub, haven't eaten there yet but really like the look of their menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Bad buzz, coulda gotten that for €5.95 in O' Riordans!

Tell me about it. Yeah, O'Riordans and Pucan do great deals on soup and sambo. Saw your recent pics

Advertisement