Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern Family [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Just saw this news about Ariel Winter who plays Alex Dunphy. Also found out that her brother played Pugsley in The Addams Family. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just saw this news about Ariel Winter who plays Alex Dunphy. Also found out that her brother played Pugsley in The Addams Family. Weird.

Wow thats awful,

On a lighter note its great to see Hailey and Alex back to their old ways, that final argument clip was hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

I'm not sure why they went with Hayley getting kicked out of college, I didn't really like that storyline. Maybe it was to give Sara Hyland a break to recover during the first few months of filming. I like the way they fit in serious scenes now and then. Phil getting all serious was weird but well done!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

So glad I found this thread, I am a huge Modern Family fan. Sad to read that about Ariel Winter and also about Sarah needing a transplant.

I find that MF can be incredibly funny one minute and incredibly moving the next...that or I am just a sap :D The serious bits always catch me off-guard cos I am so busy laughing. Cam is my favourite character though I do love them all - there is no "bad" character in it at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

miamee wrote: »
    there is no "bad" character in it at all!

That is actually a very good point. Normally in sitcoms I have a character I like over the others [Chandler in Friends, Barney in HIMYM etc.]. But in MF, I cannot decide between Cam, Phil or Manny.

When I first started watching, I also thought Claire would end up being the person who annoyed me in the show, but she has some fantastic moments too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Matthew Broderick and Ty Burrell were fantastic together this week - I'd love to see more of the two of them. What happened to the other friend that Phil made? The doctor who lived next door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Loved it when Hayley referenced Legally Blonde when she was defending the clothes she was gonna wear to her disciplinary hearing and Phil goes "this is real life not an excellent movie". And when Cam got upset over Claire questioning his baking. One of the best episodes of the season so far

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I loved this episode but I didn't like that they were all divided up in it - Manny & Luke, Claire & Alex, Jay & Mitch, Cam & Gloria and Phil & his 'mistery' date.
    It was great to see Matthew Broderick in it though, he was really good!

I think I prefer the big family scenes than these but as usual, it still made me laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

miamee wrote: »
    I loved this episode but I didn't like that they were all divided up in it - Manny & Luke, Claire & Alex, Jay & Mitch, Cam & Gloria and Phil & his 'mistery' date.

Clever ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lando Calrissian sure has gotten old looking..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Basq wrote: »
    Lando Calrissian sure has gotten old looking..

Don't most 75 year olds tend to be old looking?

75? Good Jesus.. didn't realise he was even older than Harrison Ford.

Fell off my chair when Raffi from the league walked into the house

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

VinLieger wrote: »
    Fell off my chair when Raffi from the league walked into the house

He also appeared in a new show called Kroll Show as well.....it's Ruxin's new sketch show :D

They are very good at throwing in real moments among the laughs. Haley and Phil was sweet in ep.12

The revenge in 13 was fantastic :D

• Advertisement

Is this back on on Friday evenings? I think I have missed a few episodes, I haven't seen it since before Christmas :(

Yep, there have been some new ones this year. Up to ep 13 now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

What channel is showing them? Can't see it listed on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Episode 13 was brilliant.
    -Don't ask me about my business Claire.
    -I wasn't
    -Don't ask me about my business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Really enjoyed episode 13. I have been playing catch up for a while with this but that last episode was really good. Love the God Father bit at the end. :D Zebra's head bit was hilarious!

• Advertisement

Catching up on the recent episodes and it remains one of the mist consistently funny shows on.

The one thing I do miss about the show is how they changed the dynamic of the family. In season one there was a real sense that this was a family who had undergone some strain in the past and was only getting back together again. It was obvious that love existed between each and everyone of the characters but that it was a love that needed time to heal. That underlying dynamic seems to have been completely forgotten over the past few season and I do miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Anyone know when this is returning to Sky1? There's no mention of it on the Sky website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Catching up on the recent episodes and it remains one of the mist consistently funny shows on.

The one thing I do miss about the show is how they changed the dynamic of the family. In season one there was a real sense that this was a family who had undergone some strain in the past and was only getting back together again. It was obvious that love existed between each and everyone of the characters but that it was a love that needed time to heal. That underlying dynamic seems to have been completely forgotten over the past few season and I do miss it.

I missed that altogether. How so?

Tristram wrote: »

I missed that altogether. How so?

During the first season the inner family strife between the various characters was very much front and centre. There was a sense that this was a so what fractured family who had issues that they were only overcoming. Think back to any of Jay and Mitchell's moments in the early episode and it was clear that he and Jay had serious issues and while the writers still use the conflict between then it's now solely for comedic moments such as the golf episode. The relationship between them during the first season was very reminiscent of that between Frasier and Marty in early episodes of Frasier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have to agree with Darko. The family is far too happy and perfect in recent seasons. Jay's character was much more interesting before they softened him up and that tension between him and Phil and between him and Mitchell has evaporated. Cam and Mitchell were better when there was more edge/career envy too.

I'm really going off the show tbh. The most recent episode just felt like it was missing something. Gloria going to the s

I'm really going off the show tbh. The most recent episode just felt like it was missing something. Gloria going to the spa was obvious and they 'revealed' it as if it was some big 'a-ha' moment.

Characters just aren't enough to keep the show entertaining, they need a bigger arc like Friends to stay relevant. Modern Family just can't pull off the Seinfeld 'show about nothing' vibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

It's another reason why I think shows, particularly US shows, shouldn't ever be allowed run more than 3 seasons! There should be a law against it. I don't know one show that got better and better as the seasons dragged on. All the greats lagged in the middle and some just died (some did get better in their last season e.g Dexter was a big improvement this season). All because the studio wanted to keep fueling the ratings.

I can't see where Modern Family can go to be honest. It still has flashes but its a way off from it's first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

azzeretti wrote: »
    It's another reason why I think shows, particularly US shows, shouldn't ever be allowed run more than 3 seasons! There should be a law against it. I don't know one show that got better and better as the seasons dragged on. All the greats lagged in the middle and some just died (some did get better in their last season e.g Dexter was a big improvement this season). All because the studio wanted to keep fueling the ratings.

I can't see where Modern Family can go to be honest. It still has flashes but its a way off from it's first season.

I think Breaking bad has aged quite well. But yes I agree. All my main ones anyway have sort of faded as time went by (mainly House and Dexter)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Shield went from strength to strength. In terms of comedy the consistently funny series are few and far between, but Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm stand out. As does, strangely, Beavis and Butthead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I'm not sure I fully get Modern Family. I like it and find it funny for the most part. I mean, it's filmed in a mockumentary style. The characters address the camera directly during confession style scenes but even throughout the episode, during proper scenes, the will often look knowingly at the camera - especially Phil. So we're meant to believe that there's a television crew filming their lives and they're aware of this, like with The Office. That's fine but are we meant to believe that they're okay with the crew filming them in the toilet (Mitchell filmed in the cubicle at his job, Episode 6, season 2) or that the cameraman evidently slept in 15 year old Hayley's bedroom all night (can't remember which episode but it was the scene where she woke up shocked to find Dylan asleep on her floor), or the one where they go on holiday to Hawaii and the camera films from within the house as Phil sets the alarm and locks up the house.
    I'm possibly thinking about it too much but it confuses me.

Mousewar wrote: »
    This!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mousewar wrote: »

Yup. Thinking about it too much. The bits where they talk directly to camera is more so just to hear what they're thinking, or get background information which would be too much exposition to fit into a scene. The parts where they look at the camera during normal scenes is just to see their reaction.

There's no camera crew filming them. It's filmed in a mockumentary style, but it's not a mockumentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Penn wrote: »
    The parts where they look at the camera during normal scenes is just to see their reaction.

There's no camera crew filming them. It's filmed in a mockumentary style, but it's not a mockumentary

If he's giving the camera knowing looks then he must know it's there.

OOh, maybe only Phil is aware of the camera and has sold out his family to some sick voyeuristic cult in return for cash. How else could they afford to live in that mansion with only one earning parent? That's it, I've cracked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

What are you comparing them to?

Isn't that the point of making a TV show (besides money)? Would you prefer for it to have a small cult following and then complain when it gets cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This seems to be going the same way as frasier or the simpsons (especially frasier) once the major issues are resolved(niles gets with daphne, martin opens up) its quite difficult to still get good material out of it.

Thought tonights was pretty good, the claire and hailey thing wasnt too funny but the rest was pretty solid, love how Lily has turned into a right little biatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

During the first season the inner family strife between the various characters was very much front and centre. There was a sense that this was a so what fractured family who had issues that they were only overcoming. Think back to any of Jay and Mitchell's moments in the early episode and it was clear that he and Jay had serious issues and while the writers still use the conflict between then it's now solely for comedic moments such as the golf episode. The relationship between them during the first season was very reminiscent of that between Frasier and Marty in early episodes of Frasier.

You're spot on now that I think about it. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

the last dew episodes were very disappointing for me.

I thoughy Luke bringing the girl back to the house when Alex/Hayley were in charge was hilarious. But nothing else.... I think the show is running out of steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Dahlia is hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Whens it back on or is the season over??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Scylla wrote: »
    Whens it back on or is the season over??

Next week, assuming you're talking about US pace as opposed to Sky 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I don't think that the characters are looking at the camera per se, I think they are breaking the fourth wall and involving the viewer. It's a subtle difference but it would explain the inconsistency for the parts where we are not involved. I enjoyed the New Year's Eve episode. Billy Dee Williams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Jesus the last 3 or 4 episodes have been really bad.it's going down hill fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I've started watching this on Netflix. Fantastic show.

Mitch is probably my favourite character (inb4 "ha, gaaaaaay" video)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Jacksquat wrote: »
    Yea, I didn't think it was the best. No part really stood out in this ep. I got a bit of a laugh out of Phil's first call about the van

Oh my God, I was actually crying laughing at this episode, thought it was the best by far! The van was just priceless, and the kids in the concert "we love the F word"...brilliant!

Only discovered MF recently on getting Netflix and watching Season 3 now online - it's easily the best comedy I've ever seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hayley in that tooth fairy costume :D That was awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

titan18 wrote: »
    Hayley in that tooth fairy costume :D That was awesome

Better or worse than Mother Theresa when she was hot? :D

Waiting until both the season and my exams are done before I catch up on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Better or worse than Mother Theresa when she was hot? :D

Waiting until both the season and my exams are done before I catch up on them.

Better imo, although that costume also was awesome. Reckon more will like the Mother Teresa one though, just got a thing for pink myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

titan18 wrote: »
    Better imo, although that costume also was awesome. Reckon more will like the Mother Teresa one though, just got a thing for pink myself ;)

I vote Mother Teresa but tooth fairy is a nice second :D

haley-tooth-fairy-modern-family-w724.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement