Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern Family [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

worst. episode. ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Zero shock....renewed for another season, i've no idea what, season 4, 5?....6?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/10/suburgatory-renewed-by-abc/182130/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This show has become even more stale this year..

.. they've ruined the character of Phil Dunphy.

Very tired of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Possibly the most average show on television

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I can't believe they gave David Faustino a cameo and missed the opportunity to reunite him and Ed o'neill in the same scene.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Season 1 and 2 of Modern Family was as good as any comedy in the last 10 years buts its been on a steady decline since. This season became a chore for me to watch so I just stopped, I won't watch again unless I read on here that its standard picks up again.

New Girl is the new king of network comedy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

irish son wrote: »
    Season 1 and 2 of Modern Family was as good as any comedy in the last 10 years buts its been on a steady decline since. This season became a chore for me to watch so I just stopped, I won't watch again unless I read on here that its standard picks up again.

New Girl is the new king of network comedy imo.

The standard has definitely dropped but to call it a chore to watch is a huge stretch imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

I agree. It may not be as good lately but at very worst it could be called average. I enjoyed the RV episode. The 3 guys looking out over the ocean was very good

Up to episode 19 and enjoying it, not sure what's annoying everyone else so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I still think its one of the best shows on at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Don't understand the negative comments either. It may have dipped slightly from the first 2 seasons but it's still one of the funniest shows going at the moment. The show evolves and adapts as the family is growing up and it's being handled superbly with the exception, I think, of Luke and Manny. The comedy of those characters worked better when they were younger but now that they are teens it doesn't work as well. Luke has grown out of the 'cute funny kid' stage and he's coming across a bit stupid at this point. Manny's 'high society' tendencies are starting to grate too. Basically, these two characters need to grow up a bit and stop relying on being 'cute but stupid' / 'the hopeless romantic reading poetry'

I never liked Manny to begin with so that probably helps. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think this show has been a bit of a victim of its own success. Season one it started out as original,real and it was a little off beat as a result. It wasn't afraid to under play storylines,it didn't care if you laughed or not, and it was clever and funnier for it. Season two it was a flagship show for the network and it started playing to a lower common denominator. Since then it's become very typical family comedy,it dishes up slap stick,goes for the easy laughs and in doing so has sacrificed everything that had been great about it and had made it stand out. In my opinion it's a real shame. I still watch it but I only enjoy it a fraction as much as I used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

There's at least one reason I keep coming back to the show, but right now I can think of two.....eyes of course! :D

The rest of show is funny too, not far into season 2 myself having picked it up from Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Just finished the season and I really hope they use Lily more next season. Her character is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This is what I've been binging on lately! I'm about 9 episodes in to season 2. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night and settling in to watch some more of it. It's genius. Pure and utter genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Just finished the season and I really hope they use Lily more next season. Her character is great.

Ugh no! I can't stand her, the kid is such a bad actor and I hate when a show has a smart ass kid character. It's so lazy. I'd write her out completely if it were possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Seriously? Shes like a little block of oak........only an oaks delivery would be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Might be because she is used so little then, but I like her.

• Advertisement

I thought Sofia Vergara was just putting on that accent but she isn't. She's actually Colombian!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I thought Sofia Vergara was just putting on that accent but she isn't. She's actually Colombian!

And blonde.

Season 5 is starting tonight in the U.S. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Watched the 1st episode of the two. Thought it was a nice sweet episode

I haven't seen it yet but the official Modern Family Tumblr page doesn't do spoilers. :mad: Hopefully I'll catch it tonight if I get a chance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I really liked it.
    I know the issue of Cam and Mitchell being physical with each other has been a thing with the show before, but that was just a lovely episode.The marriage proposal was so sweet.

• Advertisement

I swear I didn't just cry a tiny bit at that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

haha, when phil was talking to the two girls, one after the other "is that what you want to be".

The baby getting sick every time gay marriage is mentioned! :pac:

I'm liking Lily more and more too.

tumblr_mtqxlb9eaH1qgwaixo1_500.gif
    tumblr_mtqxlb9eaH1qgwaixo2_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Loved the simple one liner by Lily, "what if he never comes home", Jay, "nobody leaves home and doesn't come back", Lily, "I did"

*just notices meme above........

• Advertisement

It was a fantastic line in fairness.

Also Mitch was hilarious bringing Lily to school

tumblr_mtqzl09Fh61r3isl2o1_500.png
    tumblr_mtqzl09Fh61r3isl2o2_500.png

Rumours of a spinoff focusing on Gil Thorpe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/modern-family-spinoff-early-talks-638430

I'm not really a fan of the Thorp-edo myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rumours of a spinoff focusing on Gil Thorpe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/modern-family-spinoff-early-talks-638430

I'm not really a fan of the Thorp-edo myself.

There has been far better guest characters than him for a spin off show

I dunno if Gil is down as a guest character?

I prefer Pepper myself.

The last episode wasn't as funny as the previous two but it was still decent.

The 100th episode is airing tonight and we'll get to meet another Tucker! :D

Just watching episode 5 now and I have got to say that I'm enjoying Lily more with every episode!

Once again I find myself giving a show I'd put on the backburner getting a second chance thanks to Hulu. I gave the show up just around the time that the new baby was born as the show had became a pale imitation of what it once was. Series 5 seems to be a step up though I really do hate how they've ruined Jay as a character. I miss the old grumpy Jay who wasn't so open to homosexuality. His old fashioned views were responsible for some of the shows best laughs. Watching Luke is just plain odd, he seems so different and watching him go through puberty is distracting.

Really enjoying how the current series is playing out and it's nice to see the writers do something interesting with Hayley. She's seemed stuck in perpetual nothingness with the writers content to just make jokes about how dumb she is but this week she was allowed her moment in the sun.

It was also nice to see Cam and Mitch actually acknowledge the growing tension between them. In recent weeks their relationship has seemed less like two people in love and more like some odd couple forced to live together. I'm not sure if the show will ever be as good as it once was but there's still some great chemistry between the characters and its rare to find a show that can mine some genuine laughs from the small things.

Once again I find myself giving a show I'd put on the backburner getting a second chance thanks to Hulu. I gave the show up just around the time that the new baby was born as the show had became a pale imitation of what it once was. Series 5 seems to be a step up though I really do hate how they've ruined Jay as a character. I miss the old grumpy Jay who wasn't so open to homosexuality. His old fashioned views were responsible for some of the shows best laughs. Watching Luke is just plain odd, he seems so different and watching him go through puberty is distracting.

I'm finding it hard to deal with the fact that Luke is getting so grown up! Nolan Gould needs to stop growing up for a little bit.
    Really enjoying how the current series is playing out and it's nice to see the writers do something interesting with Hayley. She's seemed stuck in perpetual nothingness with the writers content to just make jokes about how dumb she is but this week she was allowed her moment in the sun.

It was also nice to see Cam and Mitch actually acknowledge the growing tension between them. In recent weeks their relationship has seemed less like two people in love and more like some odd couple forced to live together. I'm not sure if the show will ever be as good as it once was but there's still some great chemistry between the characters and its rare to find a show that can mine some genuine laughs from the small things.

I thought the Alex and the therapist part was very good. I thought it sent out a good message. She took it upon herself to see someone, the parents didn't make a big deal of it and she let her emotions come out at the end. It was quite touching.

Cam and Mitch in the restaurant was :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I found the age difference in the children quite jarring with this new season, and more pronounced that previous; I guess that comes with the territory when you cast the appropriate age. It's a shame Luke has grown up as the innocent double-act with Phil was always quite endearing & funny.

As for the show's relative quality, I agree that season 5 showed an upswing in standards & laughs, though I always had fairly low expectations on the show anyway; it's televisual comfort food, a standard, dependable network sitcom that takes no risks with its characters and asks no questions of its audience. It lags well behind trailblazers such as Parks & Rec or Community, but is always still worth tuning into.

I definitely agree about Cam & Mitch, and it was good to see the writers finally realise they had completely backed those two into a corner of endless bickering and passive aggressiveness. I always figured part of the concept of Modern Family was the idea of three couples who sometimes only tolerate each other - Phil/Clare & Jay/Gloria often bicker too - but Cam & Mitch openly acted like they hated the relationship. It also didn't help the show indulged in some shockingly outdated stereotyping but that's another day's rant....

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I found the age difference in the children quite jarring with this new season, and more pronounced that previous; I guess that comes with the territory when you cast the appropriate age. It's a shame Luke has grown up as the innocent double-act with Phil was always quite endearing & funny.

It wouldn't be realistic if there wasn't a Luke not wanting to be Daddy's boy phase in fairness.

Luke and Manny are gonna be a good pairing.

It's odd that I both love and hate what they did to Jay. His moment toward the end of the last episode where he cried was sweet and really nice to watch but it's not the Jay I know. The writers have no real idea what to do with him and just seem to be making him as nice and easy going as they can. The old fashioned sensibilities he had created an interesting dynamic amongst the group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It wouldn't be realistic if there wasn't a Luke not wanting to be Daddy's boy phase in fairness.

Luke and Manny are gonna be a good pairing.

Absolutely, but I just think they've pushed Luke a tiny bit too far into the 'I hate you' teenage phase. I agree about Manny & Luke though; they made a really good pairing in the past so happy to see more stories centered around them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

"They call me Pink Top... Pink Top!"

Some great moments in this episode. Particularly loved Cam trying to keep Lily as far from him as possible. And the screaming scene at the end.

A decent enough episode, but it feels like a long time since Modern Family produced genuine belly-laughs; seems to have settled into a comfort zone. Still, the Cam/Lily stuff was fun, and storylines with Phil are always worth admission.

That said, I hate Gil Thorpe and wish they'd stop bringing him back; he's a terrible one-note character and kinda reminds me of Councilman Jamm from Parks & Rec - utterly obnoxious but not amusingly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    A decent enough episode, but it feels like a long time since Modern Family produced genuine belly-laughs; seems to have settled into a comfort zone. Still, the Cam/Lily stuff was fun, and storylines with Phil are always worth admission.

That said, I hate Gil Thorpe and wish they'd stop bringing him back; he's a terrible one-note character and kinda reminds me of Councilman Jamm from Parks & Rec - utterly obnoxious but not amusingly so.

I think it will never be as good as it was in Season 1 unfortunately. I can't see myself giving up on it as it still is funny and the cast are superb. I'd like to see it get back to the Season 1 quality though.

Side-Note: How can you not like Jamm??? :eek:

I think it will never be as good as it was in Season 1 unfortunately. I can't see myself giving up on it as it still is funny and the cast are superb. I'd like to see it get back to the Season 1 quality though.

Side-Note: How can you not like Jamm??? :eek:

Jamm's like Thorpe in that he worked in extremely small doses as the impassible, obnoxious antagonist, but they kept bringing him back and giving him more episodes to 'shine'. Ergh. Just not a fan! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i havent watched any of this season yet, as i really lost interest last season, it just seemed to getting fairly bland, and less funny each season, has it improved at all this season,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

So far im liking this season...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

don ramo wrote: »
    i havent watched any of this season yet, as i really lost interest last season, it just seemed to getting fairly bland, and less funny each season, has it improved at all this season,

I didn't really like last season but there's a noticeable improvement this season imo.

Advertisement