Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

word 2003 mixes up @ and " symbols

• 09-09-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

hi,

my ms word 2003 is mixing up the shift + 2 and shift + ' combo's. This doesn't seem to be related to the usual language problem as these combinations work correctly for all other applications installed!

I cannot seem to find any extra settings in Word which account for this old "Americanised keyboard switcharoo"

anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You need to change your keyboard layout to english (irish) instead of english (American) I believe you can do this under the Region and Language options in the control panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

look down the bottom of word, in the left corner it should say " English Ireland"
    yours probably says "english USA"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Try checking your keyboard settings in Regional and Languages in control panel.

Control panel >> Regional and Languages >>Languages >>Details : you can change keyboard settings here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

nah my language and regional settings are English (Ireland) as is my keyboard layout - thats why this has me confused.

word did have it at English(UK) but the change to Ireland made no difference. It is not a problem in ANY other application!! (well any that i've tried - notepad, notepad++, visual studio) weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

00sully wrote: »
    word did have it at English(UK)...

There ya go... reboot and it should be fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

sweet thanks Tallon. still don't understand why word picked up its own language preference since the computer was always set to English Ireland for both language and keyboard layouts! Word was also set to "detect language automatically" and I would have thought it would have taken this from the regional language settings. weird.

aynwho thanks again :)

edit: oh and no reboot was required but changing the language settings in word (at the bottom status bar doh!) only applied to text from the current cursor position - selecting all text and applying again fixed it!

Advertisement