Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Leica M9 announced

• 09-09-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Leicas new Full Frame comapact M series camera was officially announced today:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090909leicam9.asp

I'd buy one......its so small, the available M lenses are so sharp, it has enough pixels for bigger prints......it costs 5500€!!!:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think I'll get two .... One for in the house & another to keep in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

There is supposed to be a 2 year waiting list already, better get my order in quick so:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks nice, but I'd be afraid to take it any where :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Actually, while the M9 looks predictably stupidly expensive, the new X1 actually looks kinda interesting. I'm thinking here its probably just another re-branded samsung or panasonic or whatever it was Leica was re-branding the last time to get a compact out. APS-C style sensor and AE/full manual mode and a nice 35mm equivalent f/2.8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm interested in the X1 too, it looks like a great drinking/pocket camera.

• Advertisement

Hadn't seen the X1... any pricing info for it?

The S2 sounds nice too
    Leica has said its S2 autofocus medium format DSLR will be available in October for a recommended selling price of $22,995/£15,996. The camera is built around a 37.5 megapixel 30x45mm sensor (56% larger than 'full frame'), that puts it squarely into the apparently troubled medium format sector. Customers willing to spend an extra $5,000/£3,096 will receive an S2-P featuring a sapphire glass monitor screen and 'Platinum Service' support package

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Hadn't seen the X1... any pricing info for it?

X1 price:

http://www.popflash.com/index.php?p=product&id=4316&parent=0

Cosmo K wrote: »

That's a bit out of my 'pocket camera' range. :-/

Cosmo K wrote: »

:eek: no way ! I mean I know it's a leica and all, but that little red circle can only cost so much :D

They really are going all out here. Any economists here ? What's the name for those goods that buck normal economic trends, and become MORE desirable the more expensive they get ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I'd love an X1, however, I'm gonna keep up my search for a classic film P&S instead :pac:

• Advertisement

duffarama wrote: »
    I'd love an X1, however, I'm gonna keep up my search for a classic film P&S instead :pac:

Canonet GIII 1.7 QL - Great little camera :)
    They really are going all out here. Any economists here ? What's the name for those goods that buck normal economic trends, and become MORE desirable the more expensive they get ?

Lomography Urban Outfitters? Polapremium

Bah.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Lomography Urban Outfitters? Polapremium

Bah.

:D

Olympus XA ! Mine's a little star. Also has the distinction of being the smallest coupled rangefinder in the world ever :)

that is a bit pricey for the X1... at least the camera makers are starting to come out with these larger sensor non dslr cameras

Actually, if you *did* want to spend a few more bob than the XA's and the GIII's, have a look at the Leica CL, you'll get one with 40mm 2.8 for around about 500/600 quid second hand, you can use other Leica lenses, Russian replica lenses or Voigtlander lenses with an adapter. Tiny little camera, very quiet too - Quieter than my GIII, and quiet good build quality. Just get one in good nick or you'll be sending it over and back to the UK for repairs the whole time.

Oh, and it probably has one of the coolest meters I've seen...

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Actually, if you *did* want to spend a few more bob than the XA's and the GIII's, have a look at the Leica CL, you'll get one with 40mm 2.8 for around about 500/600 quid second hand, you can use other Leica lenses, Russian replica lenses or Voigtlander lenses with an adapter. Tiny little camera, very quiet too - Quieter than my GIII, and quiet good build quality. Just get one in good nick or you'll be sending it over and back to the UK for repairs the whole time.

Oh, and it probably has one of the coolest meters I've seen...

Or indeed the Minolta CLE which IIRC is the same camera. Leica got Minolta to do the CL for them and when they terminated the deal minolta kept on making them as the CLE.

Also Hexar RF/AF are accorded good cameras. Olympus Stylus and Stylus epic have a good rep as all auto P&S's

Oh I'm aware of all those cameras! The Konica Hexar AF is also in my sights.

What I'm most after though is a Contax T3 or a Leica CM, failing that I'll either get an Olympus Mju II (stylus epic) and keep an eye out for a premium film compact.

Or get a 35mm F2 lens for my Contax G2. I don't like the 45mm it came with and will sell both lens and body if I can get a quality compact.

As much as I admire the X1 I think a micro4/3 body and the 20mm f1.7 would be a decent and cheaper alternative.

Or indeed the Minolta CLE which IIRC is the same camera. Leica got Minolta to do the CL for them and when they terminated the deal minolta kept on making them as the CLE.

Also Hexar RF/AF are accorded good cameras. Olympus Stylus and Stylus epic have a good rep as all auto P&S's

I'd forgotten about that - Half the price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All this talk of range-finders got me looking them up on-line and I've just come to an awful realisation. I've no idea of what brand it was but I played with one of these as a little boy (no film in the camera) which I'm almost certain ended it's life in pieces after I took a screwdriver to it...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Oh I'm aware of all those cameras! The Konica Hexar AF is also in my sights.

What I'm most after though is a Contax T3 or a Leica CM, failing that I'll either get an Olympus Mju II (stylus epic) and keep an eye out for a premium film compact.

Or get a 35mm F2 lens for my Contax G2. I don't like the 45mm it came with and will sell both lens and body if I can get a quality compact.

As much as I admire the X1 I think a micro4/3 body and the 20mm f1.7 would be a decent and cheaper alternative.
    have you seen this 4/3's lens yet? http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-25mm-Four-Thirds-Digital/dp/B000P1RBL0

would be very nice with a small image stabilized body with viewfinder, those viewfinders are quite small and dark, tho I never noticed untill i went from olympus e510 to canon 1d!

Ill think about m4/3 when the autofocus and fps/buffer are better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

"Goods of conspicuous consumption" a la Rolex, Ferrari, Mont Blanc - the economic theory states that as one of these goods becomes more exclusive, it appeals more to people with the means to buy them. Conversely if Joe Soap can buy a Ferrari then the cosy little club is no longer cosy and the rich will simply move elsewhere.

Not to be confused with a "Giffen Good" a la bread - where poor people buy more of this type of good as the price goes up as they can no longer afford to buy more "luxurious" goods such as meat.

My head hurts now :D

have you seen this 4/3's lens yet? http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-25mm-Four-Thirds-Digital/dp/B000P1RBL0

would be very nice with a small image stabilized body with viewfinder, those viewfinders are quite small and dark, tho I never noticed untill i went from olympus e510 to canon 1d!

Ill think about m4/3 when the autofocus and fps/buffer are better.

I know that lens well but the 50mm angle of view does nothing for me, I much prefer 35mm as it just feels natural to me.

The viewfinders don't bother me, plus they've gotten better the last few years. I've an e620 and it's slightly larger and brighter than the 510 and the e30 and e3 are bigger still.

The GF1 is apparently no slouch when it comes to AF http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicGF1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

:eek: no way ! I mean I know it's a leica and all, but that little red circle can only cost so much :D

Veblen Goods, as written about at length with regard to Leica's most recent offerings here.

Advertisement