Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Hair with Grommets

Options
  • 09-09-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

So my 18 month old daughter has just had grommets in both ears. Doc advised to use cotton wool and vaseline when washing hair - some chance!! She goes mental and keeps taking them out - have even tried putting them in my ears and pretending its a game :rolleyes: - still no joy.

Apart from persisting in the hope that she'll get used to it eventually, does anyone have any other ideas based on experience? I've also read that washing hair is not that big a problem as long as you're not submerging but would tend to listen to the doc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Maybe one of these ? They're supposed to keep shampoo out of kids eyes but they seem to cover the ears a bit as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

would it not be better to use shampoo? ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

get her to put her fingers in her ears? or get somebody else to cover her ears while you rinse. We use surfers ear plugs for our son, but he's 6 so he knows not to take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

It should be possible, with a bit of care, to manage to rinse her hair with slow running water, taking great care NOT to let water get IN to her ears.

I had the same thing with my little one, and she hates getting water in her face or anything, generally a nightmare to wash her hair. But with a bit of persistence, you should be able to dampen her hair, wash with shampoo, then rinse slowly, just letting the water flow over her head, but not IN her ears.

I wouldn't worry about a bit of splashing - you cannot keep her waterproof!

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

thanks all for your advice on this - have done it twice now since then, once using that shield yokie missflitworth mentioned. also have deployed the softly softly approach and managed to keep the cotton wool in yesterday just about long enough to rinse - i think persistence is the name of the game (as I suspected), she's deffo not reacting as badly now - i'm confident now we'll get there - thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

My sister had them years ago and used to get this stuff like play dough from the chemist to put in her ears when swimming.

Other than that you could try ear muffs with turne back to front so you can wash the hair. Stick them on the rad then after to dry off the wet?

Advertisement