Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dragon Naturally Speaking 10

• 09-09-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about Dragon Naturally Speaking 10. I am thinking of buying it because I have a thesis to do for my masters and want to make things easier for it. Any help would be grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

don't know anything about that software specifically, but those speech recognition things generally perform terribly if you've any sort of an accent. don't buy it unless you can demo it!

I generally can't see how it would make writing a thesis easier though. Typing in general, even if slower, helps create much more structured thinking about the topic.

Secondly, I've read before those speech recognition things have a steep learning curve, so I'm not sure a thesis would even give you enough time to get up to speed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

vista has built in speech recognition while not great its worth looking at if you have it before paying for something.

Also form a support point of view i used to support this for a company and 9 times out of 10 if it was acting up it was an accent issue, they hadn't trained it properly or ......... the user had a cold / hangover :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I have experience of DNS 9 & 10 and would strongly advise against it. It's a large cumbersome program, tiresome to set up and use. It's buggy and with poor support, you will be annoyed using it.

Does exactly the opposite of what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Takes a fair bit of training in (version 10) but its impressively accurate once you get it going. You need to be pretty painstaking in correcting it for the first while though. Plan on spending at least 3 - 5 hours getting to a point where you might have to stop dictation only once every 8-10 minutes or so to correct yourself.

It needs a hefty amount of RAM, would recommend at least 1.5-2 GB. Didn't notice any bugs.

Advertisement