Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What facilities are needed in West Dublin?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Just having a think about the various facilities in West Dublin, we're blessed with good parks, we have a multiplex cinema and large shopping centre and retail park but what's missing?

What do you think West Dublin needs* that it doesn't already have?

*Lapdancing clubs is not the kind of thing I'm thinking of :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Well, the Lucan area needs a good public swimming pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I can ondly speak about an area dear to my heart. Newcastle.
    It needs stuff imo that could be done with PPP.
    Like a library. Currently there is ondly a Leabharlann Bus that comes around 1-nce a week or month & parks outside Village Hall. Could there one be based IN The Hall?
    Is Clondalkins' Library under-utilised I wonder? I've often found it's slightly out of the way but that could just be me.
    I think every town & village wants a swimming-pool. But won't get it. Nearest one is in Citywest Gym. WHich is private.
    I also think it NEEDS a public-park. Like what Rathcoole has. Newcastle thrill-seekers or exercise-walkers take their' chances on the by-roads like Athgoe Hill up & around & down it. Or Lyons Rd. & onto the Canal. Lovely areas but not as safe as a decent-sized park like Rathcoole.
    Also a shuttle-bus service taking in Greenogue I.E. to say Arrow Train Station in Celbridge & Luas. At the moment the shuttle-bus serving Arrow Train Station only goes to Celbridge afaik. Does anyone on here know if it meets every-train both ways? Or is it an intermitent service (& definitely NOT on SUndays)?
    I'm away from the village a long-time now & won't be going back anytime soon as I found it very out of the way. That can be a good thing though!
    The sooner Macs is renovated & the Hotel gets back to being built the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Like a library. Currently there is ondly a Leabharlann Bus that comes around 1-nce a week or month & parks outside Village Hall. Could there one be based IN The Hall?
    Is Clondalkins' Library under-utilised I wonder? I've often found it's slightly out of the way but that could just be me.

Surely the library in Lucan is nearer, its a straight road away from Newcastle village

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Mellor wrote: »
    Surely the library in Lucan is nearer, its a straight road away from Newcastle village

That's what I would have thought too :) Unless Newcastle is outside the catchment area of the Lucan Library. Do they have catchment areas?

Also, I remember the library bus myself before Lucan had the new Library. I used to love going to it...a library in a bus? That's mad Ted!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I would think it is totally unacceptable to expect people from Newcastle to use Lucan library - it is well over an hours walk to Superquinn Lucan from Newcastle and they are not connected by public transport!

Also,while I agree that "every town and village wants a swimming pool" - I really think Lucan must be one of the places with the largest population without a public pool. It's ridiculous imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well for a long time, even when Lucan was bigger than Newcastle is now, we had to rely on the library bus because we didn't have a library. You'll also find that the politicians are pretty useless on this one. Every time elections came around they promised that if elected they would fight for a library for Lucan. What they meant was that they would try to push the idea on a slow Tuesday and if it got nowhere, they wouldn't really try that hard again :D

I do think a public swimming pool is necessary though. That's for sure!

Advertisement