Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howth C&C

• 09-09-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

hi all! ok following on from my first ever shoot that i put up for C&C, here is a shot from my second! I tried to do a few of the things people were saying, so let me know what you guys think- how can i get better, what would youdo, etc. Cheers, the learning has already helped!!!

5C6BDD1E088A4970BF69F28406675A2E-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Oh my God, I'm just home from shooting out there, will upload my shot later.

I would crop it to be honest. iTs dark but I like that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree, there's a little too much cloud at the top which distracts from the actual subject. Nice crop and it'll be perfect. Really like the capture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Maybe a little cropping alright. I would convert to B&W tho, I don't like the wierd colors in the clouds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

thanks for the feedback guys!

Cropping seems to be the general consensus, i'll do so when i'm on my own machine and maybe post an alternate version. I am a bit confused though, because i didn't want to just slap the island in the middle, what about rule of thirds etc? :confused: Just trying to figure it all out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

It all depends on how you interpret the rule of 3rds. I'd put the island in the middle of the picture vertically speaking, and then the lover third, would be the sea, the upper third would be the top part of the sky.

As it stands now, I'd crop the top down a good bit.

Nice colours too.

• Advertisement

ok, so taking on the advice:

original image cropped:

150621572D334A11806AAE98E7210F6B-800.jpg

Image cropped + B&W:

DD3F8F1495F64C5DAE17E000E0771672-800.jpg

It does look better cropped. Haven't made my mind up on the warmer version vs b&w...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yes, crop is better, and loving the B&W, ie. dark, mysterious & moody ;)

dark, mysterious & moody
    ... Just like myself! :P

Thanks for the compliment on the cropping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I like the cropped version and the original colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I would have cropped a bit less and have the sea as one third and the sky as two thirds.

The sky is a bit blown out as well. When you're shooting see if you can turn on the highlight warning, which will cause the blown out bits to "blink" when you review your shot. Try to shoot at the point just before the highlights start to blink. Use exposure compensation to reduce the exposure slightly if needed. And shooting using RAW instead of Jpeg will make life a lot easier.

Oh, I like the shot, prefer the B&W :)

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I like the cropped and the original colour too. But if you darkened the the sky in B+W version to increase the contrast it might make it better.

thanks everyone!!!

Ok, and total noob question- 'blown out' means overexposed, am I right? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

That's right. Exposure was too bright so the sensor recorded no detail at all, just pure white. That seems to upset photographers a lot, especially when it comes to Landscapes!

Advertisement