Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'The Infinities' (John Banville)

Options
  • 09-09-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

So I'm reading the new book by John Banville. Bought it yesterday in Easons and have to admit it's the only book I have been willing to pay full price for in a good while. And I've found yet again that when I'm reading his books I need to have an English dictionary handy! It's not that it's overloaded with words I don't recognise- I might ordinarily skip those- but with Banville he makes me want to find out! And I love how he writes words I'd forgotten I knew.

So far just a couple of chapters in- it feels different to other books he has written, but Banville through and through- and I must admit I'm finding it's a book you have to read properly, as in the sense that it will merit a re-read.

Anyone else start it recently? Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Not yet, but looking forward to reading it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Adr.

I'm looking forward to reading this as well. Banville is one of my favourite authors. However, I'm only 100 pages (of almost 900) into Bolano's 2666, so it could be some time before I get to Banville.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I haven't read anything by him yet, but I stumbled across this title when looking for books online (I don't usually buy online, but I'll sniff around the big book sellers to find authors I don't know yet. I'll then look out for them in the local book shops). It sounded interesting, and you guys make it sound even more so... so I'll try and get my hand on a copy maybe this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I just finished this today, and I was wondering what other people made of it? I must admit that I enjoyed this far more than any other Banville experience I have had; in particular I loved the flow of his descriptive prose in many parts, where you could imagine yourself as an observer, watching the scenes develop.

Advertisement