Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design Fetac L5 in Colaiste Dhulaigh

Options
  • 09-09-2009 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I am just enquiring if anyone has done this course? It's a 20 week part time course in Graphic Design. Here are the details:

E950 - MONDAY 1st October
    Graphic Design Fetac L5
    Time: 7.15 - 9.30 Weeks: 20
    Fee: €325
    A computer based programme, project based
    thus encouraging students to develop their ideas
    through illustration, typography & design.
    Software such as Quark Xpress, Photoshop and
    Illustrator.

I have an ordinray degree in architecture and am looking into getting into graphic design. I know this course would be quite basic but I am wondering would it be worth my while doing it? I have fairly good photoshop skills but have never used Illustrator or Quark before.
    I know this wouldnt be a follow on type of course.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I was going to do this course. Went for the interview and got accepted. However I heard bad things about the college and the overall standard of the teaching from a past student. I opted against it and went to Chester instead.

It depends what you want really. It might be ok as a part time course as you have something to fall back on. But as this was going to be my main profession (hopefully) I wanted to go for an BA Hons. course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bravado-band

Hi Willy

I was in Dulaigh there last year up until Xmas and found the whole photoshop/image processing thing a bit of a joke to be completely honest,they gave no encouragement or feedback to your owrk.
    I was doin a portfolio prep course for entry to art college and was told no one in the class would get into art college.
    I think you would be better off going somewhere else man.

Good luck with it anyway
    Ste

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Don't do it there.

For a star, why oh why would they teach Photoshop and illustrator, and combine it with quark???

These days, indesign is the way to go, and makes a much better workflow. Sure, some people might want to use quark, but really IMO indesign is the way to go, especially when using ps and illy for your artwork.

I can only assume they are using old versions of the software, as it would be cheaper to buy one of the CS packages, than those 3 seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ninwilky

Its all well and good saying its ****e but ive looked around and ive seen nothing like it on a part time basis

maybe im wrong but ive been researching it for a few weeks

• Advertisement

ninwilky wrote: »
    Its all well and good saying its ****e but ive looked around and ive seen nothing like it on a part time basis

maybe im wrong but ive been researching it for a few weeks

True, it's easy to say it's not good but isn't it best to hear this beforehand? No point in stumping up the money and then finding out its awful.

Just because it's one of (if not the only!) the only part time Graphic Design courses doesn't mean it would be benefit to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ninwilky

I suppose you're right there but in to alot of people and places its not what you learn but the piece of paper afterwards. I suppose im looking at this as something i can use should i be interviewed when reapplying to college as opposed to a stand alone course where you expect to learn something

I can see your point there. A lot of employers are just interested in the paper. However I know a lot of people who've just finished degree courses, got that paper and in all honesty haven't a clue about what their course was supposed to teach them.

They would've been better off trying to find a job and gaining experience

Advertisement