Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Dawkins is coming to the RDS next week!

Options
  • 09-09-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear anything about this? I think he's going to be talking about his new book The greatest Show on Earth.

Got myself a ticket anyways.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where did you get a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Where did you get a ticket?

Indeed, I'd love to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

A friend got it for me from some Irish Times offer... I'm not sure where the tickets are being sold officially though.

I'm trying to find out some more info, but I read on the Richard Dawkins forum that the tickets are sold out already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Txt RDS with your name, address and contact number to 57000 (ROI) and 81108 (NI).

Don't know the exact details. Just found it on politics.ie . No details as to how to buy them

The Irish Times and Hughes& Hughes are holding a "Reader's Evening" with Richard Dawkins in the Concert Hall, RDS, on the 17 of this month for a talk about his new book. The talk will be followed by a Q&A session.

The Irish Times is offering free tickets. See yesterdays Times for details (I know, I know). I managed to get my tickets, one of which I will not need because no one I know would be interested so it may be up for grabs. All you need do to secure a place is actually text your details to a number but I do not know if I should post the number on the web.
    Closing date for tickets is midnight Monday

A search of "Richard Dawkins" on the RDS website brings up.... nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

I wonder how many brain dead mutants will turn up?

I'm going to present Dawkins with a human foetus during the Q&A session.

I'd love to get a ticket to this, I'll try to text that number anyway to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

According to a post on Dawkins' frorum, this was in the print Irish Times last Saturday, and the tickets all went in a matter of hours. :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I heard I have tickets, but I asked my friend to apply for me, so I'm not sure!

• Advertisement

By the way, I may not be able to get time off work for this so there might be a ticket to spare if ye want to fight for it.

I'd kill for a ticket, so if you've one going, you can't go yourself and no body else wants it, I'd gladly take it off you.

€1,000 via western union, thanks.

Just kiddin. Well jammydodger, since you were the first to reply I suppose I'll give it to you... if I can't get time off work that is.

Don't get your hopes up though, as there may be a queue of people waiting for it amongst my friends...

Thanks Overblood. If none of your friends want it, and you can't use it, I'll be glad to take it. If you're passing it on to me, PM one of the days and I can get it off you and give you something in return (if it costs, I'll pay that too, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Ahhhh buggering cock. This is the first I heard of it, booo! :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Overblood wrote: »
    there might be a ticket to spare if ye want to fight for it.
    I'd kill for a ticket
    320x240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Stop doing awesome stuff when I'm not in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Zillah wrote: »

Awesome-ish - he's still not quite big enough to play the Phoenix Park yet. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

****!! Sorry lads wish i seen this earlier!! My brother told me about it and then said today hed give me a ticket but i told him i would need two.. so he sent me the number to text with the details etc only today at 3 and i got 2! And a friend is taking the spare one!! But maybe chance yer arm and send a text now ya never know!! My brother text yesterday and they were gone... but then he text a while later and got 2 for himself and i only got mine today!! Id chance me arm if i was ye and send the aul text and see if it works!

****!! Sorry lads wish i seen this earlier!! My brother told me about it and then said today hed give me a ticket but i told him i would need two.. so he sent me the number to text with the details etc only today at 3 and i got 2! And a friend is taking the spare one!! But maybe chance yer arm and send a text now ya never know!! My brother text yesterday and they were gone... but then he text a while later and got 2 for himself and i only got mine today!! Id chance me arm if i was ye and send the aul text and see if it works!

What's the number??

• Advertisement

Ok
    I texted my details to 57000 and got a text back saying I had a pair of tickets allocated to me. Not sure if it's free or not but I'll be going. Either that or I've just been duped into signing up for a disgustingly annoying ring tone subscription service....we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Zillah wrote: »

We can't help it.

Quick; to the atheist mobile! I've got science to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Just sent a text there myself, and got a message back saying I had two tickets allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Overblood wrote: »
    A friend got it for me from some Irish Times offer... I'm not sure where the tickets are being sold officially though.

I'm trying to find out some more info, but I read on the Richard Dawkins forum that the tickets are sold out already!!

Motherfùcker, ought to report you for this epic tease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

no no that is the right number! Im wondering how big this event is going to be.... Its supposed to be starting at 7.30 I think! Tis guna be some trek to make it in time Id say ill be like a b*itch after the drive! Oh well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Just sent a text there myself, and got a message back saying I had two tickets allocated.
    What details do you need to text them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Be careful with the Irish Times offer, the offer costs 1 euro to send the text, but after 7pm last Monday (7th), the offer in the paper states to send the text, there may be a 'full charge', without being too clear how much that is.. just a heads up.

Texted on Saturday I think, got an SMS reply to say tickets would be out soon. A pair. Anyone got theirs yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

DapperGent wrote: »
    What details do you need to text them?

Name, address, and contact number apparently. Sent a text there now but no word back yet, hopefully still some tickets available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sorry!

Page 31 of today's Irish Times has the offer. Lines close Midnight - Friday 11th.

SMS costs 1 euro or 1 sterling.

Text RDS followed by your name, address and contact phone number.

(ROI) 57000

(NI) 81108

Mods, if you feel I'm promoting a commercial service, remove or edit the post.

Not Free tickets as such, there is a charge..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

They did this a couple of years ago with his last book. Drove up from Clare for the evening. Very enjoyable and worth the effort. Decent q&a but usual dimwit YECs there too.

Advertisement