Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Dawkins is coming to the RDS next week!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Didnt have the Poxy RDS at the beginning of the first text. Just sent another one off now and got a immediate response that two tickets were allocated for me and I will recieve them soon. Happy days:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Going to a wedding on the 17th.

Finding the book a bit, well, boring tbh. :eek:
    I'm sure the talk would be interesting though likely to be a bit of heathen idolatry (not to mention a bit of a sausagefest).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

BlueBandit wrote: »
    Didnt have the Poxy RDS at the beginning of the first text. Just sent another one off now and got a immediate response that two tickets were allocated for me and I will recieve them soon. Happy days:D

Same here both myself the missus sent off text and got tics!

Dades wrote: »
    Going to a wedding on the 17th.

Finding the book a bit, well, boring tbh. :eek:
    I'm sure the talk would be interesting though likely to be a bit of heathen idolatry (not to mention a bit of a sausagefest).

I've read four of dawkins books, all very dull except 'The Blind Watchmaker'.
    His talks are usually quite intersting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

Got my tickets, should be an interesting talk...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Got a text back saying I've got tickets also. What time does it start? Anyone fancy a pint beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm seeing Jimmy Carr that night...

Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Yeah I got tickets! Now to find someone to go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Ah! So there are tickets left! Good stuff. Turns out I can't get the say off work! Like a bull I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Yup theres still tickets, and for 50c each they're not to be sneezed at. Im considering asking my very religious friend to go just for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Tickets still available at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

fitz0 wrote: »
    Yup theres still tickets, and for 50c each they're not to be sneezed at. Im considering asking my very religious friend to go just for fun.

Funny you should say that, I am doing the same. Not maliciously mind you, but the person has very clear, defined views, somewhat at odds with the speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Any one considered inviting J C yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

You can be guaranteed an evolution denier or two will make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

pts wrote: »
    Any one considered inviting J C yet? :D

I wonder will he keep raising and lowering his voice and making funny faces while he's talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

He won't go. Given that the Atheist Materialist Conspiracy Axis of Evil (TM) will probably have spotters at the event, I would expect him to be too fearful of being identified and thereby forced out of his science type job due to the fact that he does not believe in actual science, a fact which he has apparently thus far managed to hide form his employers.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ajhalpin

Richard Dawkins is wandering through the woods one day marvelling at all the wonders of evolution. "Look at the beautiful woodland animals, millions of years worth of evolution", he ponders. "How preposterous to think that a god could have created all this in six days", he laughed to himself, when suddenly he is aware of a presence that seems to be stalking him. Turning around to look he sees a giant grizzly bear looming over him readying itself to deliver the killer blow. OH GOD PLEASE NO! he whimpers. All of a sudden the forest and the bear are frozen in time and light beams in through the forest thicket from above. A deep majestic voice booms. "So, Richard, you believe in me now do you, now that you are faced with your own mortality." "Am I to believe that you want to become a Christian now?" Dawkins, on his knees all of a quiver, sheepishly replies, "I think that might be a bit hypocritical of me." "How about you just make the bear a Christian?". "Have it your way" replies God. Suddenly the forest springs back to life and Dawkins looks up to see the giant bear kneeling, with his giant paws pressed together and his huge head looking up towards the sky, speaking in a gruff bear like voice..."Heavenly Father, thank you for the food I am about to receive":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

DapperGent wrote: »
    Got a text back saying I've got tickets also. What time does it start? Anyone fancy a pint beforehand?

There's an Atheist.ie gathering in the Horseshow House at 6, but I'm not sure if you want to associate with us!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

ajhalpin wrote: »
    Richard Dawkins is wandering through the woods one day marvelling at all the wonders of evolution. "Look at the beautiful woodland animals, millions of years worth of evolution", he ponders. "How preposterous to think that a god could have created all this in six days", he laughed to himself, when suddenly he is aware of a presence that seems to be stalking him. Turning around to look he sees a giant grizzly bear looming over him readying itself to deliver the killer blow. OH GOD PLEASE NO! he whimpers. All of a sudden the forest and the bear are frozen in time and light beams in through the forest thicket from above. A deep majestic voice booms. "So, Richard, you believe in me now do you, now that you are faced with your own mortality." "Am I to believe that you want to become a Christian now?" Dawkins, on his knees all of a quiver, sheepishly replies, "I think that might be a bit hypocritical of me." "How about you just make the bear a Christian?". "Have it your way" replies God. Suddenly the forest springs back to life and Dawkins looks up to see the giant bear kneeling, with his giant paws pressed together and his huge head looking up towards the sky, speaking in a gruff bear like voice..."Heavenly Father, thank you for the food I am about to receive":D

Reminds me of an anti-joke I just made up.
    A Christian is wandering through the woods one day marvelling at all the wonders of evolution God's creation. "Look at the beautiful woodland animals, millions of years6 days worth of evolution God changing things", he ponders. "How preposterous to think that a god evolution could have created all this in six days millions of years", he laughed to himself, when suddenly he is aware of a presence that seems to be stalking him. Turning around to look he sees a giant grizzly bear looming over him readying itself to deliver the killer blow. OH GOD PLEASE NO! he whimpers. The bear eats the Christian because God had realised that it'd be slightly hypocritical to help western Christians with things like finding parking spaces, job interviews and not being eaten by bears, while letting millions die in the developing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm seeing Jimmy Carr that night...

Bah!

...And I'm going to see Tim Minchin in Vicar Street. Bugger. Two of my favourite heathen heroes appearing at the same bloody time.

The Gods Random chance are mocking us is utterly indifferent to our plight.

(Anyone else going to see Timmy btw?)

• Advertisement

DapperGent wrote: »
    You can be guaranteed an evolution denier or two will make an appearance.

I'm counting on it:)

PTS, one more for the road...

There was a Christian lady who lived next door to Richard Dawkins. Every day, when the lady prayed, Dawkins could hear her. He thought to himself, "She sure is crazy, praying all the time like that. Doesn't she know there isn't a God?"
    Many times while she was praying, he would go to her house and harass her, saying "Lady, why do you pray all the time? Don't you know there is no God?" But she kept on praying. One day, she ran out of groceries. As usual, she was praying to the Lord explaining her situation and thanking Him for what He was gonna do. As usual, Dawkins heard her praying and thought to himself, "Humph! I'll fix her."

He went to the grocery store, bought a whole bunch of groceries, took them to her house, dropped them off on the front porch, rang the door bell and then hid in the bushes to see what she would do. When she opened the door and saw the groceries, she began to praise the Lord with all her heart, jumping, singing and shouting everywhere! Dawkins then jumped out of the bushes and told her, "You ol' crazy lady, God didn't buy you those groceries, I bought those groceries!" At hearing this, she broke out and started running down the street, shouting and praising the Lord.

When he finally caught her, he asked what her problem was. She said, "I knew the Lord would provide me with some groceries, but I didn't know he was gonna make the devil pay for them!"
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Sent a text, got a reply back saying I've been allocated a pair of tickets. Looking forward to this, have been a fan of RD for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ajhalpin, do you actually have an opinion on Dawkins' appearance at the RDS or do you just want to post jokes (there is a humour thread stickied on the A&A frontpage for that)?

Galvasean wrote: »
    ajhalpin, do you actually have an opinion on Dawkins' appearance at the RDS or do you just want to post jokes (there is a humour thread stickied on the A&A frontpage for that)?

Humour thread? I'm not sure that's helpful redirection in this particular scenario.

Lighten up mod. Actually yes I do have an opinion. If Dawkins bothered to read the bible his arguments might be a bit more well formed and a little less contrived. Don't you think it odd that so many people have their opinions influenced by someone who has never actually studied the subject he appears to have so many issues on. Its like listening to a football pundit who has never watched a game. If my attempt at some humor is viewed as antagonistic, then so what...its a bloody forum isn't it.

Lighten up mod. Actually yes I do have an opinion. If Dawkins bothered to read the bible his arguments might be a bit more well formed and a little less contrived. Don't you think it odd that so many people have their opinions influenced by someone who has never actually studied the subject he appears to have so many issues on. Its like listening to a football pundit who has never watched a game. If my attempt at some humor is viewed as antagonistic, then so what...its a bloody forum isn't it.
    Lucky for you with that response, Galvasean isn't a mod here, otherwise you'd be leaving.

That said, if you want to start a thread about flaws in Dawkins' arguments - by all means go ahead. Any more messing in this thread and your gone. There is an event on, people may want to meet at it, and tangential topics/humour are
    only going to make that difficult. (So please don't engage that last post, people).

You have been warned. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

adamd164 wrote: »
    There's an Atheist.ie gathering in the Horseshow House at 6, but I'm not sure if you want to associate with us!
    Sounds good -- we could explore our doctrinal differences over a few beers, then have a dustup outside to settle them?

Galvasean is our Holder of the Ceremonial Triceratops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

What makes you think he hasn't? He quotes it a lot (to refute christian claims), for someone who hasn't read it.

Plus, you don't have to have read the holy books to reject the idea of a god.

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    What makes you think he hasn't? He quotes it a lot (to refute christian claims), for someone who hasn't read it.

Plus, you don't have to have read the holy books to reject the idea of a god.
    ^^ You're excused from my last post by virtue of cross posting! ^^

On topic peeps!

Advertisement