Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Dawkins is coming to the RDS next week!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

swiss wrote: »
    Sent a text, got a reply back saying I've been allocated a pair of tickets. Looking forward to this, have been a fan of RD for years.

Me too, just did it now. Yay, I'm so happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

I'm planning on heading up from Limerick at 4, reckon that 'senough time to get there? Ideally I'd like to get straight to the RDS, unless thats an awful idea trafficwise (Not very familiar with Dublin...)

Anybody have any idea how strict the entrance time is? The thing is kicking off at 7.30, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks for the info! I got 2 tickets booked.

eamonpendergast, not sure. I arrived late to a talk there before and was allowed in after the speaker at the time was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Woohoo!!

I came across this thread last night and was disgusted when I read the post about the offer being closed/booked out according to the Richard Dawkins forum. I'm glad I popped into the thread again today to see that the previous information was incorrect. Just texted my application at 3.55pm today and got a text back within about 30 seconds telling me I had been allocated a pair of tickets and I should recieve them soon.

Think I'll bring along my copy of The Greatest Show on Earth and the God Delusion on the off-chance that he does some book signing afterwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Humph. Wasn't too bothered when I thought it was sold out. Now annoyed I can't go when so many other people have got tickets today. :(

Will console myself with the fact that I already have a signed copy of the Selfish Gene. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Did anyone else find The Ancestor's Tale really boring? (or is that blasphemy?;))

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

DapperGent wrote: »
    Got a text back saying I've got tickets also. What time does it start? Anyone fancy a pint beforehand?

Name a pub and time and I'll do my best to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Calibos wrote: »
    Woohoo!!

I came across this thread last night and was disgusted when I read the post about the offer being closed/booked out according to the Richard Dawkins forum. I'm glad I popped into the thread again today to see that the previous information was incorrect. Just texted my application at 3.55pm today and got a text back within about 30 seconds telling me I had been allocated a pair of tickets and I should recieve them soon.

Think I'll bring along my copy of The Greatest Show on Earth and the God Delusion on the off-chance that he does some book signing afterwards..

I wouldn't get too excited yet. Apparently the Times are after ****ing up the ticket distribution and it's way oversubscribed. Gonna be a lot of people disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

adamd164 wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too excited yet. Apparently the Times are after ****ing up the ticket distribution and it's way oversubscribed. Gonna be a lot of people disappointed.

Awww don't say that! :(

Buzz_(150_x_255).jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Source?

• Advertisement

Someone who called into them earlier today about it.

They said they're sending out a letter to anyone who got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I've just found out about this and am inconsolable I don't have a ticket.

If anyone anywhere has a spare and can't go and willing to part with it I would be ecstatic. Please PM.

Is it out of order to say I'll pay? Or donate to charity?

How easy would it be to hide in the RDS from the day before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobbert

I'm hoping against hope that with everyone indicating that they have been allocated 2 tickets that there may be a few spares knocking around.

If anyone has a spare ticket available I would give anything (almost) to take it off your hands - I'll buy you beer for the night, donate handsomely to a chosen charity, etc ........

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

I've just found out about this and am inconsolable I don't have a ticket.

If anyone anywhere has a spare and can't go and willing to part with it I would be ecstatic. Please PM.

Is it out of order to say I'll pay? Or donate to charity?

How easy would it be to hide in the RDS from the day before?
    bobbert wrote: »
    I'm hoping against hope that with everyone indicating that they have been allocated 2 tickets that there may be a few spares knocking around.

If anyone has a spare ticket available I would give anything (almost) to take it off your hands - I'll buy you beer for the night, donate handsomely to a chosen charity, etc ........

Did yous try textin? I got an accepted text at about 4 o clock this afternoon, so it might be worth a shot.

coyle wrote: »
    Did yous try textin? I got an accepted text at about 4 o clock this afternoon, so it might be worth a shot.

Texted about 10pm. Event is full was the text back. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Feck.

Am a Dawkins addict. Bought the new book on Saturday. Visit the web site every day.

Richard Dawkins is coming to the RDS and I'm too late for a ticket.

There definitely is no god!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

mewso wrote: »
    Name a pub and time and I'll do my best to be there.
    I'll be in touch Muso. Will have to see if I actually get the tickets afterall. :(

Okay, sorry for the slight confusion I might have caused here last night.:p:D

I rang the Times myself earlier, and here's the ska (as we say in Cork): If you've got a reply saying you got tickets, you're fine.

Tickets are now all gone, so no point applying from here on in.

Their server went down at some point on Monday, which is why anyone who texted for a period there probably did not get a reply. They then had a backlog and this caused a bit of confusion.

Aaaaaanyway, long story short, they're sending out a confirmation text to everyone on the guest list before the day itself, so you'll know you're on it.

adamd164,

Do you think there is any possibility of getting in on the night or picking up a ticket arounf the venue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

adamd164,

Do you think there is any possibility of getting in on the night or picking up a ticket arounf the venue?

I ordered 2 tickets by text yesterday and got the confirmation message. Don't think I'm going with anyone so I'll give ya one of the tickets if you like (since you were the first to request after they sold out).

This is all assuming that I actually get tickets (or I'm on the guest list).

ironingbored, I'll PM you if/when I definitely know if I have tickets at all!

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    I ordered 2 tickets by text yesterday and got the confirmation message. Don't think I'm going with anyone so I'll give ya one of the tickets if you like (since you were the first to request after they sold out).

This is all assuming that I actually get tickets (or I'm on the guest list).

ironingbored, I'll PM you if/when I definitely know if I have tickets at all!

Cheers! Over the moon. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Okay, sorry for the slight confusion I might have caused here last night.:p:D

I rang the Times myself earlier, and here's the ska (as we say in Cork): If you've got a reply saying you got tickets, you're fine.

Tickets are now all gone, so no point applying from here on in.

Their server went down at some point on Monday, which is why anyone who texted for a period there probably did not get a reply. They then had a backlog and this caused a bit of confusion.

Aaaaaanyway, long story short, they're sending out a confirmation text to everyone on the guest list before the day itself, so you'll know you're on it.
    So if we got the text saying we had tickets allocated we're good? You had me worried there for a minute.

fitz0 wrote: »
    So if we got the text saying we had tickets allocated we're good? You had me worried there for a minute.

Yep, if you got the text you're fine. Apologies again!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

texted my details to 57000 but i got reply saying that the event is full. Anyone got a spare ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Scien wrote: »
    Tubs mentioned tonight that Dawkins will be on the Late Late next friday...

Cool. It's a minor compensation for those of us who can't make the talk.

The last time he was on I was embarrassed for the audience.

Richard must have thought he'd been transported back to the 1930s. For some bizarre reason RTE decided that as he was such a heavyweight and might just have too much of an influence on the comely maidens in the audience, it was necessary to invite along theist cum atheist cum theist again Dr Gerard Casey.

Many people in the audience spoke assuredly of how God had offered immeasurable succour in times of difficulty and a comforting presence during grief to which Dawkins responded, "yes, it might well comfort you but it's not true!"

I hope at least some of those in the audience that night went on to buy TGD and have been cured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:eek:

OMG

YESSSSS

Last time Tubridy had 'anti theists' on his radio show, I found him a bit hostile to them. So could be interesting.

• Advertisement

Wonder which of the CCL-apologists he'll be debating on the Late Late this time - John Waters? David Quinn?

Or even a post-emancipation voluntary slave like Mary Kenny?

Advertisement