Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something using up all my RAM

• 09-09-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Ok, i have a fairly old laptop bout 5 yrs now, but it has a good spec everything except the RAM which is only 512mb, up to now iv never had a problem as iv always had bout 130mbs of RAM free when im using it, but in the last few days something is using it all up to the point where the laptop freezes and has to auto free the RAM.

I run Google chrome as my browser as iv found it uses a hell of a lot less RAM than Explorer and FireFox, but iv found out that Google Chrome is the problem now, as i said before this i had no prob when using it as i always had 120mbs free but now when i run it the ram just get eaten up all the time and when i close google chrome the ram shoots back up to 200-300mbs.

Does anyone know why this is?? do i have a virus or something even though iv run AVG, Ccleaner and Malwarebytes and they report iv no infection..

Any help would be appreciated.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its hard to say whats causing it but tbh in that condition its hard to diagnose while youre machine is locked up. try running Safe Mode with Networking and have a poke around. Ultimately though you can upgrade the 2x256mb ram in your system with 2x512 for cheap these days. ~20 euro if i got my crunches right.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

was thinking that might have to be done alright.

whats the best place to buy cheap RAM??

back of a tinkers van, or komplett :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

www.memoryc.ie is a good irish site for memory

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

was about to say memoryc. i has a memory configurator, so if you're unsure what you need, thats there to help. delivery is quick and postage is cheaper than most places

thanks for that lads, bought 1gb ram from memoryc.ie for 40 yoyo, is that a good price???

NoelDoran wrote: »
    thanks for that lads, bought 1gb ram from memoryc.ie for 40 yoyo, is that a good price???
    a 1gb stick or 2 512s? just so long as its listed as working for your lappy youre alright.

I can get a gig for less than that. more like 20 odd dollars.

its just a 1gb stick...didnt want to go outside Ireland as i need it quickly, 20 odd dollars, where would it get it for that price coz i might buy another as i wont be in a panic for the second one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I buy all my ram from http://www.shop4memory.com/ its Irish and free next day delivery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Your not really solving the problem though by installing more RAM. It's obvious there's some sort of problem if chrome was fine in the beginning and is now eating up your RAM.

Have you tried re-installing chrome?

Advertisement