Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Innovation: Why don't users mind when Twitter breaks? Bull****

• 09-09-2009 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm just after reading this article - I don't think I've ever read such nonsense.

To quote some parts
    The "fail whale" that Twitter displays during service outages has become a much-loved mascot whose appearance has become something of an in-joke. (In fact, its failure to appear last week was considered by some Twitter veterans to be the most unsettling feature of the attacks.)

I hate error messages and I think I would prefer to see a reason for the downtime and a timeframe rather than a big stupid pointless whale. I highly doubt many people enjoy looking at a picture of a whale when all they want to do is talk to their friends on facebook or twitter.

Alguacil tells me that Twitter, like other successful web 2.0 operations, has experienced successive waves of poor service performance and behind-the-scenes upgrades, as explosive growth has taxed its capacity. Users still seem to be enjoying riding that rollercoaster, thanks to a degree of empathy with their fellow users, and with Twitter's team, including its business-plan-seeking founders.

Yes users enjoy riding the rollercoaster of good and bad performance and they completely understand everything that's going on behind the scenes. They also find it ok that twitter has oversubscribed the service.
    The strong roller-coaster-riding community of Twitter, by contrast, have tied their personas to the service. They simply embraced the fail, enjoyed taking a break from maintaining their 140-character selves, and prepared to celebrate when the service came back.

I don't even need to make a comment on above. I think it speaks for itself.

On the basis of that research, you might think Twitter (and to a lesser degree, Facebook) would be suffering. But reading the blogs, news reports and tweets over the past few days suggests otherwise. Even heavy Twitter users seem to have been remarkably unfazed by the service's protracted disappearance.

Maybe they have better things to be doing than talking about performance issues.

And the real reason people stick to certain web 2.0 applications which the article fails to mention is simply.... there tied into these sites because all their friends are on it. That is why they put up with these issues - they have to. What's the point in moving to x competitor when nobody involved in your life uses it.

They key to successful web 2.0 is to tie everyone into so they can't leave.

Advertisement