Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is wireless any good?

• 09-09-2009 5:38pm

Hi guys,

I just have a query before a buy a wireless optical keyboard and mouse. Having never used one before i am wondering what is the average battery life, for example would the mouse need to have its batteries replaced every 2 days?

the item i have in mind is Wireless Optical Desktop 700
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/systembuilders/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=036

Also if anyone has this product, does the mouse have a charger?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

if its just web browsing and typing you want it for, its grand. gaming and such i'd recommend wired keyboards and mice. battery life lasts a long enough time, but vary.

since it is microsoft i wouldnt have any hesitiation in saying that it would last days without a new set of batteries. in which case i recommend you get rechargable ones of some sort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

I agree with cherryghost, I use a wireless keyboard and mouse on my pc and the batteries (duracell) last for about 6-8 months before they need replacing, the only problem you might have is if you want to access bios or the recovery console, as your wireless drivers will load up when the os boots, you might want to keep a cheap wired set lying around for emergencies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

using cheap as chips €2 shop batteries on my logitech set up. It's nagging me to change the batteries now when i log in , i wont till it';s dead ill get another week out of them easy and its 6 months easy since i changed them.

I've not had the same length of use with rechargables myself though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well my logitech nano mouse, gets about 6 months worth of use before i have to put more batteries in it. A keyboard wouldn't be as good me thinks, although it would depend on the keyboard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Tried them a couple of times, never again.

I kept losing the signal and my mouse would stop working until I turned it off and back on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If you're getting a wireless mouse you're much better off going for the laser version rather than the optical ones.

The laser ones are more expensive but are cheaper in the long run 'cos when you've flung the crappy optical ones off the wall a few times due to frustration the replacement costs start to mount up :pac:.

Basically with a laser mouse you can select a point on the screen with precision but with an optical one it basically hovers roughly around the point on the screen where you select it and can be incredibly annoying if you need to be anyway accurate.

Advertisement