Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dulux WeatherShield question

Options
  • 09-09-2009 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Does Dulux WeatherShield have a best-before date?
    I have 2 tubs that could be anything up to 5 years old, but unopened.
    I don't want to waste time and energy and end up with a less than decent job.

Opinions, please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It would depend greatly on how and where the paint was stored I would say. Firstly was the paint stored out of direct sunlight/ away from heaters etc; secondly was the paint stored indoors to prevent damage from frost? You could always try a test panel; you can tell a lot from how the paint goes on, how long it takes to dry and a simple abrasion test after a day or so would probably reveal if it's suitable for use. If the paint has a heavy skin when opened or is anyway "lumpy" it's probably best not to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

It would depend greatly on how and where the paint was stored I would say. Firstly was the paint stored out of direct sunlight/ away from heaters etc; secondly was the paint stored indoors to prevent damage from frost? You could always try a test panel; you can tell a lot from how the paint goes on, how long it takes to dry and a simple abrasion test after a day or so would probably reveal if it's suitable for use. If the paint has a heavy skin when opened or is anyway "lumpy" it's probably best not to use it.
    Thanks!
    It was in a warm porch but not in direct sunlight for about 2 years and then it spent at least another 2 years in a garden shed.
    So... no protection from heat and then no protection from cold. :(

If it's past its best, what's the worst scenario? Will it just flake off the walls and look patchy?

Rancid wrote: »
    If it's past its best, what's the worst scenario? Will it just flake off the walls and look patchy?

Probably, but it could possibly be problematic when it comes to repainting over it in years to come? Open up a tin, smell it (it shouldn't smell bad), stir it and check consistency before trying a test panel. If in any doubt I'd get rid of it, they're are some good deals on paint at the moment, if you shop around. Economising on paint is never a good idea in my book, the most expensive part of painting and decorating is labour. Painting and decorating is labour intensive, the materials are relatively inexpensive by comparison. Cheap or dud paint aint worth the effort of putting on the walls; just my tuppence worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Answer? No.

Except if it were subject to freezing at one point.

Probably, but it could possibly be problematic when it comes to repainting over it in years to come? Open up a tin, smell it (it shouldn't smell bad), stir it and check consistency before trying a test panel. If in any doubt I'd get rid of it, they're are some good deals on paint at the moment, if you shop around. Economising on paint is never a good idea in my book, the most expensive part of painting and decorating is labour. Painting and decorating is labour intensive, the materials are relatively inexpensive by comparison. Cheap or dud paint aint worth the effort of putting on the walls; just my tuppence worth!
    I'll check the paint in the morning, though I think I'll just go and buy new paint and be on the safe side.
    Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bobeye

Rancid wrote: »
    I'll check the paint in the morning, though I think I'll just go and buy new paint and be on the safe side.
    Thanks again!

if the paint is lumpy just strain it through a pair of tights, it'll still be good to use... paint doesn't have a best before date so dont blow money on somthing you dont need.
    im a painter for 8yrs and iv done this hundreds of times with all kinds of paint..

bobeye wrote: »
    if the paint is lumpy just strain it through a pair of tights, it'll still be good to use... paint doesn't have a best before date so dont blow money on somthing you dont need.
    im a painter for 8yrs and iv done this hundreds of times with all kinds of paint..
    New paint bought and front of the house already done. I'm reserving the older tubs for the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Sorry to hijack the thread but rather than starting a new one, currently painting the house, I'm painting over a paint job from about 3 years ago some of it is a it worn but mostly okay, it's pebble dashed walls. Dulux recommend 2 coats but this doesn't seem necessary and especially since pebble dashing is soo hard to paint already. Would one coat be okay? It's going on thick enough and I didn't actually water it down.

See the pic if you wish :)

In a nutshell, if you don't mind painting the house every 3 years, then one coat will suffice!
    The second coat really does seem to make the colour way more solid and way more lasting.
    Worth it, tbh.

One coat work will always look like "one coat work"; the principle behind multiple coats is to ensure that all the background is covered with no bare patches, in addition to achieving a minimum paint film thickness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

center15 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but rather than starting a new one, currently painting the house, I'm painting over a paint job from about 3 years ago some of it is a it worn but mostly okay, it's pebble dashed walls. Dulux recommend 2 coats but this doesn't seem necessary and especially since pebble dashing is soo hard to paint already. Would one coat be okay? It's going on thick enough and I didn't actually water it down.

See the pic if you wish :)

That type of dashing is fairly easy to paint, its the rougher stuff thats a pain. I would roll that type of dashing, cut in and roll plus it will be way more faster for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement