Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tough Decision to make for our dog

Options
  • 09-09-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

My parents own a 17 YO female Springer Spaniel. In June she was passing blood and the vet gave antibiotics and she was better, however the situation has cropped up again and the Vet said on this occasion that her womb may burst and give way to pancreatitis. He offered 2 options, treat her with antibiotics again for temporary relief but he reckons the condition will come back in 2/3 months again. The other option being an operation in which he stated he may lose her on the table.

Now as I say the dog is 17 years old but we are finding it very hard to make a decision due to her age more than anything. He said the dog is not suffering at all at the moment but if the womb bursts she will deteriorate quite rapidly.

We would really appreciate some advice on what direction to take on this.

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Have the vet put the bitch down. Its kinder in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is your vet seriously suggesting to operate on a 17 year old dog?

In that case I would suggest to change vets as a matter of urgency.

17 years is a ripe old age and it is unrealistic to expect that your dog will get very much older, unfortunately. So its last weeks or months in your company should be focussed on quality of life rather than just extending it. A good vet (i.e. not one that just wants you to pay for an expensive operation) will hopefully give a a clear and neutral assessment on what to do to keep her pain free and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

peasant wrote: »
    A good vet (i.e. not one that just wants you to pay for an expensive operation) will hopefully give a a clear and neutral assessment on what to do to keep her pain free and happy.

We agree that money seems to be the motive. He said in his opinion he would do the op if it was his dog, however reeling in the money comes to mind.

I would go to another vet for assessment if we thought her final time would be pain free.

My mother is a very sensitive person and is scared of waking up and finding her passed on one morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

johnc24 wrote: »

My mother is a very sensitive person and is scared of waking up and finding her passed on one morning.

I'm afraid that is what is going to happen some time in the future (unless you actively put her to sleep)

What shouldn't happen though is that this old dog is put through the stress, strain and pain of an operation under full anaesthetic and the associated healing pains and difficulties with bandages and lampshades and whatnot.

The biggest sacrifice of love that you can give to any dog is to let it go in peace when its time has come and not to prolong (or cause) its suffering for selfish reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

peasant wrote: »
    I'm afraid that is what is going to happen some time in the future (unless you actively put her to sleep)

What shouldn't happen though is that this old dog is put through the stress, strain and pain of an operation under full anaesthetic and the associated healing pains and difficulties with bandages and lampshades and whatnot.

The biggest sacrifice of love that you can give to any dog is to let it go in peace when its time has come and not to prolong (or cause) its suffering for selfish reasons

We agree with all you say, I think I will advise her to go to another vet and see if her life can continue without stress or pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Your vet sounds crap imho, I would take her to somoeone else she deserves the best at that age..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I'm so sorry to hear your in this situation:( I had my dog put to sleep 2 years ago and it was a heartbreaking decision but I had to think of the dog rather than myself. He had a massive lump on his neck that just kept getting bigger. The vet said they could try operate but it was on his muscles in his neck and that more than likely he'd die on the table. In the end we decided it was better to let him go peacefully and with a bit of dignity. And it really was peaceful one little injection and he was asleep:( 17 is a great age for a dog. If I were you I'd book her in to be put asleep in a week or 2 and just spoil her rotten up until then. It's goin to be heartbreaking no matter what way she dies but at least if she's put to sleep theres no suffering. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

At the end of the day it's up to you guys, if you want to put her through something that's going to be traumatic and potentially fatal, or enjoy her last few moments and put her to sleep when the time comes.
    Vets don't always suggest operations just for the money, some people will do anything to keep their dog alive, granted it isn't always the best thing for the pet.

Have a talk with your family and see what ye think, I would also get a second opinion if you feel your vet wasn't giving you the best advice. At 17 it is very dangerous to put them under for ops. I'm so sorry to hear your dog is unwell and at this point in life but I'm also happy to hear she's had such a long and wonderful life so far with you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

This is the big downside to owning a pet ,especially a dog as they become such a huge part of your family,, in all reality 17 years is an unreal lenght of time for any dog so it goes to show how well she is loved and looked after.I know its a tough decision to make but you know you dont want her to suffer or for your poor mam to find her, so your only choice is to make that decision for them really and let her go peacefully ..I have to say i worked for a vets in the states for a few years and assisted him with this many a time and you know what it is not as bad as you may think,,basically they get a shot , they go to sleep,and their heart slows as they go into a very deep sleep,,and thats it...
    you at the end of the day will have to make the decision between yourselves but dont leave it too late,,,shes had a good life and that shows,,... best of luck and i'm sorry for you all..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have the vet put the bitch down. Its kinder in the long run.

I dont like the tone of your post Steamjetjoe.

After someone has a dog 17 years the last thing they want to hear is "put the dog down" even if it is the best thing for the dog.

Theres a thing called "tact" in situations like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hey OP what a tough decision for your family to make. Could you find out a bit more about the condition she has.It sounds like a pyometra and the only truly effective treatment is for her to be spayed i.e womb removal? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra Antiobiotics will work only for a short time.

To be honest, if it was me i wouldnt put a dog of that age through an operation. I dont think your vet is being irresponsible. Theyve told you your options (operation is one of them) but theyve also told you the risks involved. I suppose it depends on the overall health of your dog apart from this condition. 17 is a mighty age so if it was me id let her live out her last few months without the stress of an op!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is she happy/content now? If so I'd let her live out her days. My poor cat was pts a couple of months ago - he was miserable because his kidney's were failing. It was an awful decision to make and even thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes :( - he was deteriotating and not eating/drinking so I knew we had to stop his suffering before he got weaker. If your dog isn't in pain and is happy take what time you have left with her and enjoy it. Speaking from experience I think having her pass on peacefully and finding her will be easier that watching them put her to sleep for your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

anniehoo wrote: »
    I dont think your vet is being irresponsible. Theyve told you your options (operation is one of them) but theyve also told you the risks involved. I suppose it depends on the overall health of your dog apart from this condition. 17 is a mighty age so if it was me id let her live out her last few months without the stress of an op!

i agree that the vet is right to have told you all your options but 17 is a very good age for a springer and it seems a little cruel to put an elderly dog through an operation and recovery time just to extend her life for a little longer...

if she is comfortable id personally id have a chat with the vet about the risks of her condition and the warning signs for problems when they arise so you can have a little longer with her and so at least you will know to bring her in if things go downhill....

but on the long run id set a date with doggy heaven as i believe its better for a dog to go one week too early than a day too late when she might be in pain...its not nice for either the pet or the owner to have to see..
    at 17 your dog has clearly had a long and full life and she is coming towards the end of her time...

~hugs for you and your family at this difficult time~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

i really feel for you, as i`ve been where you are......but.....17 is a fantastic age!!
    personally, i wouldnt go down the operation road......id spoil her rotton and when the time comes get the vet to come out and let her go... at home, surrounded by familar things and people she loves.
    i know its so hard, but i think its the last act of kindness we can do for our much loved pets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

tk123 wrote: »
    Speaking from experience I think having her pass on peacefully and finding her will be easier that watching them put her to sleep for your mother.

Easier for who? The OP's feelings and his mother's feelings are important but this is a decision where the dog's welfare should be put first. Letting nature run it's course does not guarantee a "peaceful" death, I watched one of mine die and believe me I wish I had had her put down, if only I had known that she wasn't going to make it. (She was much younger than the OP's dog and the vet told me she had a fighting chance. She was injured and had been fit and healthy prior to the injury).

OP, I have to agree with other posters- 17 is a ripe old age and getting an operation will be very tough on your dog. I have had animals put to sleep before and they barely even feel it. They literally just fall asleep and it's very peaceful and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's an awful position to be in, but you have to take your dog's quality of life into account when making your decision.

17 is a great age for a dog, and if she's had a great life up until now, maybe it's best to put her down when she still has a good quality of life and before she becomes sick or has any pain.

Undergoing major surgery at any age takes a lot out of anybody, dog or human, but at her age her recovery, if she survived, would take a long time, if she recovered at all.

Maybe keeping her as comfortable and pain free as possible for the rest of her days would be the best option rather than her dying on the operating table with strangers.

It's not an easy decision, but best of luck with whatever you decide.

Advertisement