Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how much would you pay?

• 09-09-2009 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

i am thinking of getting some full time help on my dairy farm i have 150 dairy cows i am wondering how much would i be expected to pay someone that is qualified?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Hard one to say in this climate
    I would think at least 80 to 100 a day into hand after tax could be more
    Thats what I paid a few years back.
    It might also be worth contacting Farm relief services you can pick the days hours no prsi tax holiday pay etc and they might have their own insurance not sure.
    There should be plenty people looking for work these days,If milk prices dont pick up soon I could be contacting you myself;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

djmc wrote: »
    Hard one to say in this climate
    I would think at least 80 to 100 a day into hand after tax could be more
    Thats what I paid a few years back.
    It might also be worth contacting Farm relief services you can pick the days hours no prsi tax holiday pay etc and they might have their own insurance not sure.
    There should be plenty people looking for work these days,If milk prices dont pick up soon I could be contacting you myself;)

that seems incredibly high , up untill a year ago , no one would milk cows for love or money , not an irish person anyway , things are very different now , i know someone who advertised looking for help in his dairy farm , he had to turn off the phone he was that inundated with enquirees , i would say you would have no problem getting someone for 400 a week at the moment and considerably less if you paid them in cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dont talk to me about last year , i was 9 months pregnant looking for a person to milk cows for me while i was off advertised in journal got 1 reply .. he was from miles away rang farm relief they sent the most useless p$£^k who was happy to watch me milk the cows and expect me to leave them in his care when he couldnt even master putting a cluster on and this lad was from a farm- i had visions of having the baby in the milking parlour:eek: anyway its just floating round in my head at the minute thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What part of the country are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

whelan1 wrote: »
    dont talk to me about last year , i was 9 months pregnant looking for a person to milk cows for me while i was off advertised in journal got 1 reply .. he was from miles away rang farm relief they sent the most useless p$£^k who was happy to watch me milk the cows and expect me to leave them in his care when he couldnt even master putting a cluster on and this lad was from a farm- i had visions of having the baby in the milking parlour:eek: anyway its just floating round in my head at the minute thanks

Thats not very fair now tbh, there are some very capable FRS operators out there.

OP i'd say contact the ag-Colleges with a view to getting students on placement?? Could be a cheap option.

FRS would cost you an arm and a leg, but you would be covered insurance-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Thats not very fair now tbh, there are some very capable FRS operators out there.

Yeah well TBF she didn't say all FRS operators were bad, just the lad she got. Which can happen in any business really

i am in the north east , i have used the farm relief before and they where grand but i just think they sent the wrong guy to me he was used to a tie up parlour at home where as i have a 15 unit parlour ... i got a bill for his work which i was very unhappy about and i only paid half of it as i didnt feel he deserved it :mad: i dont know have the frs rates come down anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

the lad that is with me now came from the frs to work for 2 weeks that was 8 yrs ago. he is very good will always find work to do, not just filling in time. no problem leaving the farm in his hands for a week or more. generally he works 4 days a week and the other 2 with another farmer and a couple of milkings on a sunday else where. also some flexability and days worked.
    its a complete lucky dip with them, some lads only fit to drive a shovel, and will probaly break it at that
    frs is dearer, but no problems with tax prsi holiday pay and a degree of flexability (more days in winter, less in summer)
    getting some full time help on my dairy farm i have 150 dairy cows
    as for what to pay.. monkeys only get peanuts..pay by the hour, e9-e10, if you only want an extra pair of hands
    full time for 150 cows will need at least 30 - 40 k+ depends on qualifications management ability, for this he would want to be taking at least 50% for management responsability off your shoulders. eg fert grassland pratical issues of breeding etc.
    e50k + some one to run the show for you, just sign cheques and play golf
    plenty of young energitic lads out the only itching for opertunities on dairy farms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

whelan1 wrote: »

call me a sexist pig :D but up untill now i never once suspected you were a farmerette , i can picture you now in the parlour with one of those strap on yokes that hold a baby , you would look like a kangaroo :D

on a more serious note , the farm relief dont have very high standards when it comes to who they employ , a revolving door at that place , high throughput of staff , they send fellas out to fence who litterally cant DRIVE NAILS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

OP i'd say contact the ag-Colleges with a view to getting students on placement?? Could be a cheap option.

UCD 3rd Agriculture students are always looking for placements, how much you pay them is up to you. I worked on a dairy farm for a month and just got bed and board but that was fine with me. They go on placement from January, you just need to get a note stuck up on the noticeboard.

• Advertisement

irish bob - i am full of surprises;) ye i the lady (not) always loved farming brothers have no interest so my da handed farm to me a few years ago , i have 3 kids and have child seats in the tractor etc , was fine over the summer holidays but now having to get milking done and get kids out to school is a bit hectic plus i have babs aswell , whose first word was tractor !!! is all getting a bit on top of me so after sfp comes in i will look about someone to help me out

update .... i put an ad in the journal last week - got 3 replies i also put it on fas and gumtree have had loads of applicants but alot of them have no experience seems hard to get an experienced person at the minute

Advertisement